Windows 8.1 vs Windows 8

So ive been using a Windows 8 laptop for a few years and actually prefer it over win 7 (even when i  first got it!) but ive held off updating to 8.1 since 8 has worked fine and there are no major bugs or changes that are fixed in 8.1.  So im building my first high end pc  (after 10+ years on laptops).  

I can get either win 8 or win 8.1 free through Dreamspark (eng student), is there any good reason that I haven't seen to upgrade to 8.1? mainly performance and bugs over features?  

Also i never use the apps but dont mind it as it can be easily ignored.

So ive been using a Windows 8 laptop for a few years and actually prefer it over win 7 (even when i  first got it!) but ive held off updating to 8.1 since 8 has worked fine and there are no major bugs or changes that are fixed in 8.1.  So im building my first high end pc  (after 10+ years on laptops).  

I can get either win 8 or win 8.1 free through Dreamspark (eng student), is there any good reason that I haven't seen to upgrade to 8.1? mainly performance and bugs over features?  

Also i never use the apps but dont mind it as it can be easily ignored.

It doesn't really matter. You will need to upgrade to Windows 10 in a few months anyway if you want to use DirectX 12.

Also, be aware that AMD no longer supports Windows 8 with there latest drivers. The website will direct you to an older driver if you stick to Windows 8. It's not REALLY old... it's just not new. And if you plan to play any newer games, like GTA V or Witcher 3, then you're stuck with Windows 8.1.

I think Nvidia still supports Windows 8 from helping out friends and family... but what would I know. I haven't owned an Nvidia card since the Geforce 2 64 MB!  :D

So depending on the video card you go with, make sure you get the right OS. But personally Windows 8.1 works as flawlessly as 8.

8.1 is a service pack for 8...its not a new OS

and people need to stop calling it one

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

8.1 is way better. Just get it

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

8.1 is a service pack for 8...its not a new OS

This, and it should be installed.

& This

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I know 8.1 isnt a new os but it is a large update, i am only wondering what the differences are and if its got nothing that i want why update? 

IIRC only windows 8.1 and 7 get 10

Since Win 8 gets 8.1 free, couldnt i go there then to 10?

Um how, ive been looking and the only changelogs i can find say you can do this and that with apps

Also im using nvidia so the amd drivers not a prob