Android M Multiwindow support in preview!

Android M has a very hidden feature for Multiwindow support for Nexus Phones and tablets! Other android manufacturers have implemented this in previous skinned versions of android such as Samsung's TouchWiz on their Galaxy Note series. This is the first time that the feature is implemented into a Nexus build and is a very exciting look at the future of Android multitasking.

Android-M-tablet-multi-window-mode-640x3

Though the feature is not enabled by default it is able to be with some tinkering

Thoughts?

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Now we can listen to Youtube while simultaneously doing something else!

thank jeebus the nexus 9 is cancer with lollipop

I have used one for an extended period and I thought it was pretty good. What didn't you like about it?

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

YouTube has native background playback that is enabled if you have a Google Play All access subscription :D

Hail Sithis!

About fucking time Google. Put the Nexus 6's screen to use.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

YouTube has native background playback that is enabled if you have a Google Play All access subscription :D

Eff that noise. That should be a default feature.

Do you have to enable it or something? I have All Access, I'm gonna go try it. Doesn't work for me. :(

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I have used one for an extended period and I thought it was pretty good. What didn't you like about it?

the fact that they removed everything I loved about the android UI on tablets.

Lollipop essentially became everything I hate on an iPad, simply just a larger version of the phone UI. WHY. THERE IS SO MUCH SCREEN TO BE USED.

Finally it looks like they are adapting it so that a large tablet actually makes sense with android.

Here's a better article on why: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/the-nexus-10-lollipop-and-the-problem-with-big-android-tablets/

Do you have to enable it or something? I have All Access, I'm gonna go try it.

It's a beta feature at this point, I have used it and then they had an issue with my account. They have found that some users are having issues with the playback. It can be found in the youtube app in settings under background playback or something to that tune.

Hail Sithis!

the fact that they removed everything I loved about the android UI on tablets.

Lollipop essentially became everything I hate on an iPad, simply just a larger version of the phone UI. WHY. THERE IS SO MUCH SCREEN TO BE USED.

Finally it looks like they are adapting it so that a large tablet actually makes sense with android.

Here's a better article on why: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/the-nexus-10-lollipop-and-the-problem-with-big-android-tablets/

Lollipop was initially rumoured to have split/multi window support however nothing was seen in preview or release. The screen real estate wasn't that bad imho, but the people I know that had problems with the space just used a launcher :D

Hail Sithis!

Lollipop was initially rumoured to have split/multi window support however nothing was seen in preview or release. The screen real estate wasn't that bad imho, but the people I know that had problems with the space just used a launcher :D

you try tapping on your notifications that are in the f*cking middle while holding the device either side in landscape mode.

you try tapping on your notifications that are in the f*cking middle while holding the device either side in landscape mode.

Yeah, that was a bit of an odd thing. 

Hail Sithis!

Looks awesome! Definitely a great feature for tablets. Phone's are...meh, cause the screen is much smaller. Can't wait to upgrade to Android M!

COMIC SANS

Looks awesome! Definitely a great feature for tablets. Phone's are...meh, cause the screen is much smaller. Can't wait to upgrade to Android M!

At times I would like it on my Nexus 6 :D

Hail Sithis!

Will Android M be released this year?

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Will Android M be released this year?

Yes

Hail Sithis!

I think this is the right step to get closer to the moment in time when syncing your phone with any larger screen and being able to hook up peripherals wireless too works flawlessly and gives the user a good experience. Imagine mostly having the device as a pocket PC and only needing a monitor, projector or TV to have the larger screen realstate.

I think this is the right step to get closer to the moment in time when syncing your phone with any larger screen and being able to hook up peripherals wireless too works flawlessly and gives the user a good experience. Imagine mostly having the device as a pocket PC and only needing a monitor, projector or TV to have the larger screen realstate.

This is really only touch optimized at this point.

Hail Sithis!

watch linus while using the forums :D

This is great news but this and other things is why I am going to have a windows 10 tablet. I want to use a tablet as also a laptop and have all the tablet goodness and tons of functionality.

i got a free trial and its ran out but i still can play videos in the background and download videos for some reason

Eff that noise. That should be a default feature.

they dont want people to use youtube on their phones as a music player

I still rather use a x86 windows tablet

This is great news but this and other things is why I am going to have a windows 10 tablet. I want to use a tablet as also a laptop and have all the tablet goodness and tons of functionality.

I still rather use a x86 windows tablet

When the Windows application store is as fully functional and mature as the Play store and when I can click a link in windows and have it open up to the appropriate application or give me a choice to which one I can use instead of opening it in a web browser and when I can have inter app sharing set up so when I want to share a picture or a link with someone it as easy as hitting a button then I will consider windows as a media consumption platform. Until then android Nexus phones and tablets it is.

Trust me I have a Surface Pro 2 and it's a completely different beast.

Hail Sithis!