should i accept the $4K that my mom's offering me to build a pc?

saiftech

my mom offered to give me $4K thats if i pass the 12th grade, but now shes having second thoughts about giving me the money, i can tell.

but i know if i keep telling my mom about the money she will give me the money, and im gonna use it to build my dream pc,

but at the same time i feel kinda bad taking $4k money from her to build a pc and use some to buy other stuff with

what should i do? theres a change i can get $4k but at the same time its coming from my mom and it makes me feel bad

if it was from my dad then it would be different id feel ok getting $4K from him but he says hes buying me a car and a jetski! after i finnish school and the army that i just signed up for

so what do i do?

if they can afford it

go ahead

if they are stuggling for money

then obviously not

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I would take it, but I wouldn't spend it all on a computer.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Go and buy your Mum somthing nice with some of that money and spend at most half of it on your pc.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Be a good kid and just tell them $1500 is good enough for a PC.  If they still want to give you the rest, tell them you'll ask for it later on when you need it.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

As some other people said here, 4K is too much, half of that is more than enough for a great system.

You can spent the rest of it on other usefull stuff, or just save it for later.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Sounds like your family is well off. Take the money and run..lol As others have said tho, you dont need to spend $4000. I mean you can if you just want to have the best. But  you're just better off spending about half, then upgrading parts down the line with the rest of the money.

my mom offered to give me $4K thats if i pass the 12th grade, but now shes having second thoughts about giving me the money, i can tell.

but i know if i keep telling my mom about the money she will give me the money, and im gonna use it to build my dream pc,

but at the same time i feel kinda bad taking $4k money from her to build a pc and use some to buy other stuff with

what should i do? theres a change i can get $4k but at the same time its coming from my mom and it makes me feel bad

if it was from my dad then it would be different id feel ok getting $4K from him but he says hes buying me a car and a jetski! after i finnish school and the army that i just signed up for

so what do i do?

A graduation present is a pretty common practice, you don't need to feel bad about it if they're offering. If you're unsure she can afford $4,000, just have her cut it in half. $2,000 is a pretty awesome budget to build a very good PC.

If you think she is having second thoughts, just take half the money. Still plenty to build a kick-ass PC, and you are being considerate of your mum.

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

Depends on how wealthy your family is. Personally I would accept $1000-$1500 and build from that. Throwing $4k on PC is not really a good idea especially only for gaming and the feel of having dream PC.

Plan out your dream PC for $4k, then look at reviews, benchmarks, etc, think about what you will be using the computer for, and cut down all unnecessary stuff, and then all stuff that you don't actually NEED. It's NEED vs WANT. I am sure you can get everything you NEED for $1500, easily. If you are gaming, everyone says everything about 1440p, 4k, etc, but it really is not necessary. Playing games at 1080p still looks as good as it did when it first came out and everyone loved it! For 1080p, an r9 280x/gets 970 is plenty. These are relatively cheap components that will be plenty.

In short, be nice to your mum; she probably wants to give you something, but take say half at max, and get a decent PC, but not an ULTIMATE one. Wait until you can save up your own money for that :P

shit son, all i got for passing my exams was £20 for a A, £10 for a B, 0 for C and I had to pay them for anything below lol.

shit son, all i got for passing my exams was £20 for a A, £10 for a B, 0 for C and I had to pay them for anything below lol.

I don't know anyone who got anything for passing

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I would just ask for 1-2k and spend up to 1500 on a pc and maximum of 500 for video games (the computer is useless without games to play) EDIT: when buying games wait for steam summer sales to get them cheaper.

I would just build a $2000 PC and upgrade it as time goes on, so it does'nt put too much stress on your money at once. Plus you'll have the lastet GPUs and stuff, because if you drop 4K on a PC chances on you'll won't be upgrading it for a while

i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Corsair DDR4 LPX 16 GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming | Corsair 750D | WD Black 1 TB | MX100 256 GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt | ASUS VG248QE | Corsair H105 | K70 MX blues non-RGB | M95 | H1500 | Windows 8.1 64-bit

Dont spend it all on the computer, save some for things later on like a car etc.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I don't know anyone who got anything for passing

Same here, I usually got a pat on the back and "good job kiddo!" :D When I entered college I was 2nd on the list, my parents were so proud, that was kinda good enough for me.

Don't get me wrong, I get plenty from my parents, I got my own car, but I built my PC and got my laptop from my own money. It's just that I've never really expected anything over the top for doing good in school. :D

As far as you OP, just get a 1500$ PC, it's going to be outdated at the same time the 4k$ PC! Which is a few years from now tbh. Use the rest for something else or don't take the rest. Show some modesty! :)

.... after i finnish school and the army that i just signed up for

so what do i do?

Get out of the army asap!!!!!  It's not what you think it is.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($362.95 @ SuperBiiz) 

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.75 @ OutletPC) 

Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($234.99 @ NCIX US) 

Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($203.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($523.20 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($523.20 @ Newegg) 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 

Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($49.98 @ OutletPC) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($86.98 @ OutletPC) 

Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($748.99 @ Amazon) 

Total: $3407.72

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-29 16:32 EDT-0400

When I graduated grade 12, the only reward I got was a student loan.

"Congrats son!  Here's a line of credit for your college tuition!  The banks now own your soul even after you find a job!" 

Anyway... good luck with the build OP!  And post your specs here after.  Lots of the people here will give you feedback / suggestions.  This is an awesome community.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

I would just ask for 1-2k and spend up to 1500 on a pc and maximum of 500 for video games (the computer is useless without games to play)

^ Do this. For 2k you could get a good PC and a good 27" 1440p IPS monitor. Then just put $150 towards the steam sale coming up. According to leaks, it starts on the 11th, and will run until the 20th of June.

Your parents will think highly of you for being reasonable, and will be more likely to help you out financially later down the road as they'll know you're responsible and won't waste $4k on a PC just because you can. $4k is stupid overkill for any build anyway.

EDIT: When I graduated, I got a job from my dad, with a new car and paid tuition promised if I went to college. Take advantage of it and try not to seem like you're "mooching" off them too much. Just don't throw away the opportunity to build yourself up in their eyes, and you'll be good.

I don't do signatures.

Holy shit. That's wasteful at that point. Anything above 1500$ is flat out waste unless its purpose built

Not necessarily.

This would be ideal in my opinion for 1440p, and it's right around $4000.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($325.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card  ($1029.99 @ B&H) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro OEM (64-bit)  ($131.65 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($738.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($738.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($165.99 @ Newegg) 
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival Wired Optical Mouse  ($49.95 @ Newegg) 
Total: $3991.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-29 16:39 EDT-0400

I don't see how this is wasteful. If OP has the money, I'd recommend something like this.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Worst 12th grade grammar I've ever seen...

Currently roaming the forums in boredom

I like mice and keyboards and the sort

Formerly TheFlurryGames