I have a bunch of hard drives. How can I put them together to maximize storage and redundancy?

I just bought a 2Tb HDD. This will be my main drive. I have a 500Gb, 250Gb, 200Gb, and 160Gb HDDs. How can I string the smaller hard drives together and have them be redundant to the larger one WITHOUT losing capacity in the larger one. I want to be able to do this in software.

This is what I thought of but I'm not really sure how RAID works:

All smaller drives linked with either RAID 0 or JBOD (I don't care about speeds on this one).

2Tb drive and virtual 1110Gb with Raid 1.

This is kind of confusing so let me sum it up. I want to make a virtual 1110Gb drive from four HDDs in the most reliable way possible. Then I want to mirror my 2Tb HDD to my virtual 1110Gb HDD. I still want to be able to use the all of the 2Tb but only back mirror the first 1110Gb. Can you help me figure out what setup I should use and explain the advantages/disadvantages of each.

Edit: I am not planning on buying any more drives. I just had extra drives laying around and wanted to make them useful. I have been using a 500Gb hard drive up until now, so it will be a while before I use more than 1110Gb. I guess I could just RAID 1 the 2Tb HDD and the 1110Gb virtual drive. The only problem I have left is forming the 1110Gb virtual drive. I could use Windows Storage Spaces but I don't think it would appear as one drive when I setup the RAID 1. So that leaves me with RAID 0 or JBOD. Is it possible to have a RAID array inside a RAID array within software?

Theoretically you could split your 2Tb into 1110 Gb and ~890 Gb volumes and mirror it onto the small drives array... that's a really complicated solution though.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

RAID 5 would be your best bet.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Theoretically you could split your 2Tb into 1110 Gb and ~890 Gb volumes and mirror it onto the small drives array... that's a really complicated solution though.

Judging by how you explained it, I'm lost too D:

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

RAID 5 would be your best bet.

how would he even go about configuring RAID 5 with the given drives?

@Generic_Username

Given your options, I just don't think RAID is a very viable solution for you. I would just maintain copies of your data on the various drives, until you can afford another 2TB drive.

Judging by how you explained it, I'm lost too D:

Create a volume on a big drive that matches the capacity of all the small drives in RAID 0 and then make a RAID 1 out of them both.

I'm not good at explaining, yeah...

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

With such dissimilar drives you are going to have a hard time setting up much of anything other than JBOD. From what I understand FreeNAS's ZFS options may give you a little more flexibility, but I really don't have any experience with that side of things.

With those different sizes, try Windows Storage Spaces feature in Windows 8:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/storage-spaces-pools

It's one I'm using right now in my franken-server (server from mixed, old parts) until I can afford properly sized / bigger hard drives.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr