DVI-I or DVI-D to vga

scobie56

so im just buying a dvi to vga adapter for a old vga monitor and there is lots of dvi standards dvi i,d, due-link and was wondering what one to get. my friend gave me a dvi d to vga and it does not work i also google it and some of the dvi's are only digital  

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

so im just buying a dvi to vga adapter for a old vga monitor and there is lots of dvi standards dvi i,d, due-link and was wondering what one to get. my friend gave me a dvi d to vga and it does not work i also google it and some of the dvi's are only digital  

DVI-I to VGA.

Because DVI-D is digital only, DVI-I is digital and analog and VGA is analog.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

There might be some DVI-D to VGA adapters out there, but that would be an "active" adapter that converts the signal itself, and as such it would be expensive.

DVI-I  to VGA is a simple pass-through, so it's the best option as well as very cheap and widely compatible.

DVI-I to VGA.

Because DVI-D is digital only, DVI-I is digital and analog and VGA is analog.

dvi i is the one thats looks like this31bHvdI5ILL.jpg

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

A VGA signal is analog and a DVI signal is digital, which means (long story short) they are fundamentally different and you can’t convert between the two without using a signal converter (sometimes called an "active adapter").

Fortunately, the DVI standard does define a special version of the DVI connector, called DVI-I. DVI-I includes 4 extra pins which allow it to output a VGA signal instead of DVI.

DVII.jpg

VGA adapters only work when these extra analog pins are present and won’t fit into regular DVI ports (called DVI-D, for "digital only"). The key thing to understand is that a DVI-VGA adapter doesn’t change a DVI signal into VGA. All they do is allow you to plug VGA cables into specially-equipped DVI ports which can output VGA signals instead of DVI.