Chrome hogging memory

KirbyTech

Recently I have noticed chrome is using 8 gb of memory!  I did not update chrome or change anything I am aware of. I have tried rebooting and that solves nothing I have a total of 6 tabs open which is not that many. Any ideas on why this is happening or how to fix it?

Use firefox.  It is i know issue that chrome is a memory porker.

Recently I have noticed chrome is using 8 gb of memory!  I did not update chrome or change anything I am aware of. I have tried rebooting and that solves nothing I have a total of 6 tabs open which is not that many. Any ideas on why this is happening or how to fix it?

1. how much memory do you have total?

2. do you have some extensions that could be causing it??

Chrome is a real RAM hogger..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

That's what Chrome do

But seriously that's not right, check your extensions and addons and look for anything sketchy (Settings->Extensions)

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Check extensions and re-install. If not Firefox is a good but I have never had problems with Chrome taking up memory

Edit: Use that beta version of it continues after reinstall, Beta has been working to get memory usage down, but on some it highers it.. so also if you're using beta, don't.

Hope this helps

Ran by coffee

That's what Chrome do

But seriously that's not right, check your extensions and addons and look for anything sketchy (Settings->Extensions)

oh please lol, chrome uses more ram, but not all of the ram. it's a bug.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It should not double in over 2 days. 

1.24 gb    2.  I don't think so only have the linus tech tips one and another one developer one.

That's what Chrome do

1.24 gb    2.  I don't think so only have the linus tech tips one and another one developer one.

Google Chrome can't be using 8gb/1.24gb. What is your total amount of RAM is what he was asking

Duh

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

It should not double in over 2 days. 

Well, when I had 4GB RAM, Chrome only used about 3GB.

Now that I have 8GB, it uses like 6GB. Chrome just takes as much RAM as it can.

Is Chrome running slower now? Or is it still responsive? 

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Google Chrome can't be using 8gb/1.24gb. What is your total amount of RAM is what he was asking

1.                                       24GB       Able to tell now?

He answered question 1.

With  "24GB"

So OP has 24GB RAM.

oh please lol, chrome uses more ram, but not all of the ram. it's a bug.

^^^ This. I can open 30-40 tabs and hover around 5-6 GB in use, and includes what Windows and a few other minor apps are using. Yes, Chrome uses relatively more memory than other browsers, but it gets blown way out of proportion on this forum.

1.                                       24GB       Able to tell now?

oh haha :D thank you I feel stupid now. Have you checked extensions?

If you can't find anything that helps you may just have to switch to Firefox. I usually switch back and forth between Firefox and Chrome because after a little bit some update usually breaks one of them or makes it terrible. Before my Chrome wouldn't load twitch so I switched to Firefox, then my Firefox would crash randomly so I switched back to Chrome and it was fine

Is Chrome running slower now? Or is it still responsive? 

It is running much slower which it is made me look into chrome more and noticed RAM usage is up to 8 GB.

oh haha :D thank you I feel stupid now. Have you checked extensions?

Yes check above fore the list of ones I have.

^^^ This. I can open 30-40 tabs and hover around 5-6 GB in use, and includes what Windows and a few other minor apps are using. Yes, Chrome uses relatively more memory than other browsers, but it gets blown way out of proportion on this forum.

it does this to run fast though. people on this forum seem to think that ram gets tired when being used or something.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yes check above fore the list of ones I have.

It's not showing up for me. It shows that you quoted me but there's nothing written under the quote

It's not showing up for me. It shows that you quoted me but there's nothing written under the quote

2.  I don't think so only have the linus tech tips one and another one developer one. 

2.  I don't think so only have the linus tech tips one and another one developer one. 

Stop making me feel stupid.

Can you try using CCleaner on Chrome? Have you tried reinstalling Chrome?

it does this to run fast though. people on this forum seem to think that ram gets tired when being used or something.

Yeah, I have no complaint with it using my RAM. If I have that many Chrome tabs open, chances are that's where my attention is focused anyway. I don't need 6-8 GB worth of tabs open if I'm gaming or doing something else that's hardware-intensive.

Stop making me feel stupid.

Can you try using CCleaner on Chrome? Have you tried reinstalling Chrome?

Have not tried reinstalling yet. Seems like it is a memory leak goes up slow until it reaches 8 gb