What hardware do I need to realize this effect?

Hi,

I'm a developer and I would like to create a 3D effect by taking several pictures of the same object on different angles. I want to allow the user to have a better vision of the product like on some Amazon pages or here. As you can see, this picture was taken on 36 different angles to create this effect. I have no idea how to achieve this : calculating the angles, the height of the camera, etc. So I'd like to know how people usually do that and if there is some particular hardware to buy.

Thanks

quadro gpus i believe? i dont think its super complex so something like a gtx 970 from nvidia should do fine with an i7 i dunno for sure. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

quadro gpus i believe? i dont think its super complex so something like a gtx 970 from nvidia should do fine with an i7 i dunno for sure. 

I'm talking about photo hardware. How do people position their camera correctly? There must be tools for that, right?

I'm talking about photo hardware. How do people position their camera correctly? There must be tools for that, right?

oh ive seen 360 degrees of cameras do the trick with the item in the middle. this im even less sure about

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Normally something like a sliding rail (whether or not automatic) would do the job, at least in making photo's from all sides. With a sliding rail I mean some kind of circle-like rail with a holder or connector to attach the camera to. If you got some rails and something that slides over the rails to put your camera on you can make photo's from all directions. Then all you need is software to make a 3D version of those pics

Wi RoZ

Normally something like a sliding rail (whether or not automatic) would do the job, at least in making photo's from all sides. With a sliding rail I mean some kind of circle-like rail with a holder or connector to attach the camera to. If you got some rails and something that slides over the rails to put your camera on you can make photo's from all directions. Then all you need is software to make a 3D version of those pics

Thanks. Any idea where I can find these rails?

cant you also have the item spinning on a 360 degree platform? that seems cheaper to do. ive seen rails that go in a straight line go for like 1000

cant you also have the item spinning on a 360 degree platform? that seems cheaper to do. ive seen rails that go in a straight line go for like 1000

Yes, that's what I just thought about and I found this : http://www.amazon.fr/VonShef-D%C3%A9corateur-professionnel-tournant-pr%C3%A9sentation/dp/B00FFZA636/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432923473&sr=8-1&keywords=plateau+tournant

Now I only have to measure the angle (or do it once and place marks on it indicating where the camera should be). Unless someone has a less "ghetto" solution I think I'll use that.

Yes, that's what I just thought about and I found this : http://www.amazon.fr/VonShef-D%C3%A9corateur-professionnel-tournant-pr%C3%A9sentation/dp/B00FFZA636/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432923473&sr=8-1&keywords=plateau+tournant

Now I only have to measure the angle (or do it once and place marks on it indicating where the camera should be). Unless someone has a less "ghetto" solution I think I'll use that.

i think all you have to do is cover it with a green screen table cloth and your good (at least for small stuff)

No, sorry  ;)

Now I only have to measure the angle (or do it once and place marks on it indicating where the camera should be). Unless someone has a less "ghetto" solution I think I'll use that

i think all you have to do is cover it with a green screen table cloth and your good (at least for small stuff)

Indeed, and see if you can craft or find something to lock the camera to so it stays in the same position and can easily be put back in that position

Wi RoZ

actually all you need is a piece of string, chalk, tripod and a camera.

1 measure the radius you need to cover that item.

2 draw a circle using that piece of string.

3 measure out even spacings on the circle (the tighter the spacing the smoother the animation)

4 hang a piece of chalk with a string down the middle of your tripod

5 using that string/chalk thing on the tripod as a marker, take a picture on every marking until you get back to the spot you started on. (make sure exposure is the same throughout, if not it will likely flicker)

6 combine it in whatever program you use (i dont know how to do it so i wont get into detail)