New Laptop for work ~1000 USD

Omegasamurai

Hey guys,

So I recently bricked my trusty XPS L502X that I've had for ~4 years, and I'm looking for a new laptop. I have a desktop for gaming and other heavy tasks that I'm happy with, so I would be fine with getting a barebones laptop or even a tablet for browsing/email/etc, but...

Unfortunately, since I work at a tiny company right now, I need to use my personal laptop as my work laptop, so it needs to be able to run solidworks and other CAD type programs decently. I'd be happy with picking up an ultrabook for the increased battery life and decreased feeling of carrying around a 10 pound box everywhere, but my experience with those laptops is that they have a lot of trouble doing anything much past the basics.

I've just been trawling around the Notebook and Tablet playlist on the LTT youtube channel, and a few of those have stood out to me, but I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations.

Thanks.

tl;dr I want a laptop that can run CAD programs well for ~1000 bucks. I'm not gonna play games on it.

Hey guys,

So I recently bricked my trusty XPS L502X that I've had for ~4 years, and I'm looking for a new laptop. I have a desktop for gaming and other heavy tasks that I'm happy with, so I would be fine with getting a barebones laptop or even a tablet for browsing/email/etc, but...

Unfortunately, since I work at a tiny company right now, I need to use my personal laptop as my work laptop, so it needs to be able to run solidworks and other CAD type programs decently. I'd be happy with picking up an ultrabook for the increased battery life and decreased feeling of carrying around a 10 pound box everywhere, but my experience with those laptops is that they have a lot of trouble doing anything much past the basics.

I've just been trawling around the Notebook and Tablet playlist on the LTT youtube channel, and a few of those have stood out to me, but I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations.

Thanks.

tl;dr I want a laptop that can run CAD programs well for ~1000 bucks. I'm not gonna play games on it.

I would recommend this: http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-UX303LA-DS51T-13-3-Inch-Touchscreen-Broadwell/dp/B00S44HXRW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1432921709&sr=1-1&keywords=ux303

Ran by coffee

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Are you guys sure about this? I'm not talking "powerful enough to run it" I'm talking "powerful enough to run it without crashing on large assemblies."

If I can find something with 16 gb of ram for the price I would definitely go with that.

Are you guys sure about this? I'm not talking "powerful enough to run it" I'm talking "powerful enough to run it without crashing on large assemblies."

If I can find something with 16 gb of ram for the price I would definitely go with that.

The Asus with the i5 will be powerful enough to run it without crashing, it also has easily upgradable memory so you can put more in as seen here: https://youtu.be/TK-SRqrPj_E?t=16m39s

Ran by coffee