250$ httpc

Mohenjo

Friends building a 250 dollar htpc for movies and such. im helping him do it. here is what i have so far

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zPFYYJ

Any suggestions? 

*HTPC not HTTPC ;~<

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

need a power supply+os?

at that price point its better to go APU. one of its few good uses, and should be used if this will only ever be a HTPC without a gpu upgrade

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7MFYYJ

What about a PSU...?

included in case, its for his mom so no gaming and such

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

need a power supply+os?

at that price point its better to go APU. one of its few good uses, and should be used if this will only ever be a HTPC without a gpu upgrade

i feel like intel is better for CPU stuff like basic web browsing and movie playback. ive had bad experiences with apus in just basic 1080p use.

included in case, its for his mom so no gaming and such

ehhhhhhh. That PSU is most likely gonna be garbage, but the system is only gonna be pulling 30 watts, so it doesn't matter :P

i feel like intel is better for CPU stuff like basic web browsing and movie playback. ive had bad experiences with apus in just basic 1080p use.

really? for basic web browsing and movie playback the APU should be better actually. because nearly any cpu that you can buy today, even a atom will handle web browsing. the apu should handle the graphical side more, which would help with video playback and such more then intel's onboard. 

also, 60-120gig ssd over the hard drive. that will make the biggest improvemnt, and I doubt someones mom is going to have massive storage needs. 

really? for basic web browsing and movie playback the APU should be better actually. because nearly any cpu that you can buy today, even a atom will handle web browsing. the apu should handle the graphical side more, which would help with video playback and such more then intel's onboard. 

also, 60-120gig ssd over the hard drive. that will make the biggest improvemnt, and I doubt someones mom is going to have massive storage needs. 

120gb would not be enough because they want to install movies. and i dunno apus just seem unnecessary. plus the cpu is only 50 bucks 

buy a second hand pc on kijiji and just add the hdmi videocard and maybe a bigger hdd

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile