Black boarders around game when playing at lower than native resolution?

Whenever I'm away from home and my main rig and want to play on my laptop I keep coming across the problem of the game being surrounded by huge black bars.

As the screen is 3200x1800 and its only an ultrabook running on the integrated graphics (HD 4500 I think) I set the game to play at 1600x900 so I can actually get a playable frame rate, only problem is, the game literally only takes up 1600x900 pixels in the center of the screen and everything else is black. So on an already small 13.3" screen, I am left to play on an effective screen size, little bigger than a smart phone.

I can work around this by setting the screen resolution for the whole machine to 1600x900, then it takes up the whole screen, but this always messes up my home screen and is really annoying to have to do and change back again every time I want to grab a quick game when I am out. Is there a better work-around that will let me keep my full desktop res but let games scale up properly? Thanks.

This is normal. you would get it playing 1080p form a 4K monitor. its due to scaling/aspect-ratio's.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Depending on the game, something like flawless widescreen might work.

This is normal. you would get it playing 1080p form a 4K monitor. its due to scaling/aspect-ratio's.

It never used to happen on my old computer (the last time I ever had to use a non-native res), it would automatically up-scale to fill the whole screen. I mean the aspect ratio is the same, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

It never used to happen on my old computer (the last time I ever had to use a non-native res), it would automatically up-scale to fill the whole screen. I mean the aspect ratio is the same, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

You need to go into the Intel driver and change the scaling potion

Is because your ub doesn't have an internal scaler in the display

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R