Which PSU brands are reliable and which should I stay away from?

JoeTheProgrammer

I know that it depends on certification and other attributes of individual PSU but in general. Which PSU brands are reliable and which should I stay away from?

I heard multiple times that EVGA, Seasonic, Cooler Master, Thermaltake and Corsair are quite good. I've also heard that Forton, Zalman, Chieftec, Crono, EuroCase, SilentumPC are terrible and not recommended at all.

Do you have any experience with some of these? What would you choose? Do you recommend some of them or would never buy that brand again? Why?

I've used Corsair and NZXT a lot and I have EVGA, all work great

Ran by coffee

Very Reliable:

Seasonic

Superflower

EVGA

Antec

Silverstone

XFX

Mostly Reliable:

Corsair

Cooler Master

Zalman

be quiet!

Fractal Design

Rosewill

Fortron

NZXT

AVOID:

Diaboltec

Chieftec

Eurocase

Anything that is not on the Reliable and Very reliable list.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I used to use a Chieftec Super Series 650w PSU, which is five years old now and it should still be working fine, even though they have a bad reputation. Now I'm using a Cooler Master G650M, which is working great too. Haven't had any trouble with these PSU's, so I can't say anything bad about them. Have heard a lot of good things about EVGA and XFX, but haven't tried them yet. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow | PSU: Corsair RM750X V2 | MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Cooling: CM Masterliquid ML240L RGB | RAM: Ballistix 32GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 RGB | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 + Kingston NV2 NVMe | GPU: XFX Radeon RX 6950 XT Speedster MERC 319

The brand isn't as important as the oem. You can have power supplies from the same brand that have varying quality i.e EVGA Supernova P2 1000W (SuperFlower) is excellent whereas the EVGA Supernova G1 1000W (FSP) isn't that great as it uses a different oem/platform.

The same goes with the likes of Corsair and others.

Some brands you can pretty much buy without looking at the oem (XFX for example).

I heard multiple times that EVGA, Seasonic, Cooler Master, Thermaltake and Corsair are quite good. I've also heard that Forton, Zalman, Chieftec, Crono, EuroCase, SilentumPC are terrible and not recommended at all.

Never look at just brand, look at the OEM.

The brand isn't as important as the oem. You can have power supplies from the same brand that have varying quality i.e EVGA Supernova P2 1000W (SuperFlower) is excellent whereas the EVGA Supernova G1 1000W (FSP) isn't that great as it uses a different oem/platform.

1000G1 (Aurum Pro) is perfectly fine, the 650G1 and 750G1 suck (Aurum Gold)

But yes don't judge a brand as good because people like one of their products. Some people worship EVGA's PSUs for some reason when their offerings below the GS are rather mediocre.

"Rawr XD"

Never look at just brand, look at the OEM.

1000G1 (Aurum Pro) is perfectly fine, the 650G1 and 750G1 suck (Aurum Gold)

But yes don't judge a brand as good because people like one of their products. Some people worship EVGA's PSUs for some reason when their offerings below the GS are rather mediocre.

Hey, B2 ain't bad :P

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

Yes of course the brand name is not the most important factor. I said it in my first sentence that it would depend on actual PSU model and that I am asking about general advice. It's more of a filter for stuff that it's better to stay away from.

When I narrow down possible choices it's much faster and easier to find some review/benchmark and choose the right one based on this info and price.

Hey, B2 ain't bad :P

I value B2 over GS tbh, the 750B2 is very underpriced for what it is

"Rawr XD"

I value B2 over GS tbh, the 750B2 is very underpriced for what it is

Don't say that, they will rise the price :P

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

Hello

How about the Enermax Revolution XT Gold, and the Aurum 92 plus series? (PT-550M)

How about the Enermax Revolution XT Gold, and the Aurum 92 plus series? (PT-550M)

Revolution X't are only decent when on sale. At regular price they're not competitive. Basically performs the same as a Corsair RM. 

And honestly, stay away from FSP Aurum series

"Rawr XD"

A quick question, which oem does the evga 500b 500w psu have? Is it any good?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

A quick question, which oem does the evga 500b 500w psu have? Is it any good?

HEC, it's far from the best to be honest