Are my parts selection good? and some questions

yoshiii
Go to solution Solved by Johannes_Lazor,

Looks like a plan.

Id highly advice you to get the 970, It has about twice the raw performance than the 660 and it has more Vram.

The 960 only has about 50% higher raw performance and the same amount of Vram.

For 1440p you want atleast 3.5 gb of full-speed memory.

When you hit the RAM limit you will see a significant FPS drop.

But considering your PSU is almost 5 years old id recommend getting a new PSU first.

Hello

I just built a new pc. I am thinking I still need to get some parts.  Please read the parts I purchased and give me your opinions.

Parts bought new:

i74790K

120 Evo 4 ssd

1tb WD Blue hdd

16gb 2133 DDR3 ram

Parts I already had and reused:

Scythe Kamariki 4 80Plus certified PSU (no medal color rating) almost 5 years old.

GTX 660

I will use the pc for graphic design, 3D design and rendering, animation, movie making, and some gaming.

I play MMO's, RTS's, RPG's, very few FPS.

I feel I need a bigger ssd for the main programs I will put on there.  I only 80gb let after installig of Windows 8.

I plan on getting the WD Black 1 or 2 tb drive for storing games and work for my productivity software. I plan on buying a 250gb ssd for main programs. (Photoshop, Lightwave, etc)

I am unsure if I should buy a new psu or not.  The Scythe is working and I used a software program to monitor the 12v, 3v, 5v of the psu and they all seem to be within good parameters.

But I am worried because it is old.

Also, I am torn between getting a GTX960 or GTX 970.  Most of the software that I use takes advantage of Cuda cores.  I plan on buying a 27in 1440p IPS monitor in the future.  Now I have a 23in IPS 1080p monitor.

Which items should I change out first?  Get a bigger ssd, get the WD Black hdd, a new psu or a better gpu?

Money is tight for now.

Hello

I just built a new pc. I am thinking I still need to get some parts.  Please read the parts I purchased and give me your opinions.

Parts bought new:

i74790K

120 Evo 4 ssd

1tb WD Blue hdd

16gb 2133 DDR3 ram

Parts I already had and reused:

Scythe Kamariki 4 80Plus certified PSU (no medal color rating) almost 5 years old.

GTX 660

I will use the pc for graphic design, 3D design and rendering, animation, movie making, and some gaming.

I play MMO's, RTS's, RPG's, very few FPS.

I feel I need a bigger ssd for the main programs I will put on there.  I only 80gb let after installig of Windows 8.

I plan on getting the WD Black 1 or 2 tb drive for storing games and work for my productivity software. I plan on buying a 250gb ssd for main programs. (Photoshop, Lightwave, etc)

I am unsure if I should buy a new psu or not.  The Scythe is working and I used a software program to monitor the 12v, 3v, 5v of the psu and they all seem to be within good parameters.

But I am worried because it is old.

Also, I am torn between getting a GTX960 or GTX 970.  Most of the software that I use takes advantage of Cuda cores.  I plan on buying a 27in 1440p IPS monitor in the future.  Now I have a 23in IPS 1080p monitor.

Which items should I change out first?  Get a bigger ssd, get the WD Black hdd, a new psu or a better gpu?

Money is tight for now.

if you have enough storage capacity I would go for a better GPU since you're performance would vastly increase in games and in applications that have support for CUDA or OpenCL where as with an SSD it would only really affect the load and save times on larger files.

Edit: Never actually looked at the PSU...so if it is old and may not have enough juice for a new gpu then upgrade.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

I wouldn't trust that PSU either.

Mostly because you're going to put a good load on it when rendering and so on.

Btw, software monitored voltage is usually really inaccurate. I read about 11V on my 12V rail, but bringing out the voltmeter showed 12.2V.

Basically, if you want to check your rails, do so under load, and with a voltmeter and a molex connector.

For GPU, i would go with the 970. Stick to your 1080p monitor for now, and buy an 1440p or maybe even 4k later on. (4k is getting cheaper and cheaper)

When in doubt: C4

Hi!

How many watts is the psu? And also what motherboard are you planing to use?

I suggest you to buy Asus z97-A or if you have the budget Asus z97 pro.

You could also go with gigabyte ga-z97x if you are tight on your money.

Concider 32gb of ram for 4k footage, but 16 would do for now.

About GPU: GTX970 has the best price-performance ratio, but to be future proof i'd take GTX980 or even 980Ti which is comming out within 2 weeks. You can also expect that the prices of 980 and 970 will drop.

CPU: i7 5820K Motherboard: MSI x99A SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2800mHz (4x4gb) GPU: MSI GeForce  GTX 980Ti Case: NZXT S340 Storage: 840 Evo 120gb and WD Blue 1TB  PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3

GTX 980 Ti (reference card) High Idle temps solution -

Looks like a plan.

Id highly advice you to get the 970, It has about twice the raw performance than the 660 and it has more Vram.

The 960 only has about 50% higher raw performance and the same amount of Vram.

For 1440p you want atleast 3.5 gb of full-speed memory.

When you hit the RAM limit you will see a significant FPS drop.

But considering your PSU is almost 5 years old id recommend getting a new PSU first.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Hi!

How many watts is the psu? And also what motherboard are you planing to use?

I suggest you to buy Asus z97-A or if you have the budget Asus z97 pro.

You could also go with gigabyte ga-z97x if you are tight on your money.

Concider 32gb of ram for 4k footage, but 16 would do for now.

About GPU: GTX970 has the best price-performance ratio, but to be future proof i'd take GTX980 or even 980Ti which is comming out within 2 weeks. You can also expect that the prices of 980 and 970 will drop.

Sorry everyone I forgot, its a 750watt psu.

So I should change with a PSU that old?

I tested it using speed fan( I think. The software which shows all of the volts for the mb and other parts) and put it underload with Furmark.

So I should go PSU, GPU and than SSD?

My mb is a MSI Gaming 7.

Sorry everyone I forgot, its a 750watt psu.

So I should change with a PSU that old?

I tested it using speed fan( I think. The software which shows all of the volts for the mb and other parts) and put it underload with Furmark.

So I should go PSU, GPU and than SSD?

My mb is a MSI Gaming 7.

Psu is good enough. If you didn't had any problems with it i'd wait with buying a new one. Go for GPU.. 970 or wait for prices to drop and buy 980 :)

Edit: Mobo is great. You can buy ssd for 50$ 120gb and it will just speed your computer up

CPU: i7 5820K Motherboard: MSI x99A SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2800mHz (4x4gb) GPU: MSI GeForce  GTX 980Ti Case: NZXT S340 Storage: 840 Evo 120gb and WD Blue 1TB  PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3

Psu is good enough. If you didn't had any problems with it i'd wait with buying a new one. Go for GPU.. 970 or wait for prices to drop and buy 980 :)

Edit: Mobo is great. You can buy ssd for 50$ 120gb and it will just speed your computer up

Ok cool,

Thanks.

My ssd I have is 120gb, but I only have 80gb let after the Windows 8 install, so I feel I need a bigger one.  Also  I want the 1 or 2 TB WD Black for my work files and games.

Ok cool,

Thanks.

My ssd I have is 120gb, but I only have 80gb let after the Windows 8 install, so I feel I need a bigger one. Also I want the 1 or 2 TB WD Black for my work files and games.

I feel you, because I have 120gb ssd too and I'll buy the same ssd and raid 0 them.

It's enough to have only windows on your ssd, so your pc start up faster.

Edit: Extra storage is cruical if you need it for video editing. Raw footage takes a lot of space, but 1tb would do for now.

• 2 weeks later...