Computer shutting down unexpectedly

marioo1182
Go to solution Solved by marioo1182,

I checked some reviews from Newegg and they say they are having the same issue. 

Replacement here I come :(

My computer will shut down unexpectedly when I am playing any game. 

However this does not occur when just browsing the web or whatever.

Overheating is not the issue as I have checked my temperatures.

Any idea of what could be wrong :(

ps. I also switched out to a new motherboard (ASROCK B75M-DGS R2.0)

system specs:

Fractal R4 Blackout Edition with window
Asus P8P67 b3 revision (old motheboard)
Intel Core i7 3770k @ 3.5Ghz
Antec H20 920 Closed Loop Liquid Cooling
8Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24
1000W 80+ Gold OCZ Fatality 1 Individually Sleeved Semi-Modular PSU 
Asus GTX 660 OC Edition 2Gb
500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200 Rpm

/e I also checked my Windows event log and I have a critical Event 41 error.

It is due to a computer unexpected shut down. Think my PSU might be failing?

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

up

LinusGGtips

Why do you have a 1000W PSU? 500 Watt is enough but yes its probably the PSU.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866MHz

GPU: Asus Strix RTX 2060 OC

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero 

Storage: 1TB, 500GB, 250GB SSD's, 1TB SSHD

Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540

If it's only happening during gaming, it's likely a failing PSU that is shutting down under the heavier load. If it is still under warranty, give OCZ a call, I'm sure they can help you out.

And just to make sure, this is like someone cut the power, right? No BSOD or anything like that?

Try recreating the problem outside of games. Run prime95 to stress the CPU, and even try something like Unigine's heaven or valley benchmarks and see if you can get your computer to buckle under some stress.

To clarify, you experienced this issue on your pc with the older motherboard, as well as the one you swapped it out with? That would rule out a motherboard issue.

Why do you have a 1000W PSU? 500 Watt is enough but yes its probably the PSU.

A while ago a ran two 6950's in crossfire. It ate power like no tomorrow.

If it's only happening during gaming, it's likely a failing PSU that is shutting down under the heavier load. If it is still under warranty, give OCZ a call, I'm sure they can help you out.

And just to make sure, this is like someone cut the power, right? No BSOD or anything like that?

Try recreating the problem outside of games. Run prime95 to stress the CPU, and even try something like Unigine's heaven or valley benchmarks and see if you can get your computer to buckle under some stress.

To clarify, you experienced this issue on your pc with the older motherboard, as well as the one you swapped it out with? That would rule out a motherboard issue.

That's a good idea. I will try and make it die under a load, that way a can ensure it is the PSU.

LinusGGtips

That's the wierd thing. Is that I swapped my old motherboard because it was no longer reading keyboard and mouse on boot.

My old motherboard never just shut down like that. Now sometimes in the middle of a game it will just shut down. Just straight to a black screen.

Other times it won't do it at all. And other times it will happen right as I get into the match.

Trying Prime95 now.

/e I guess that leaves three possibilities, Windows Installation, Motherboard, Powersupply

LinusGGtips

I got it to buckle on the Firestrike Benchmark. Heat was not an issue. So then do you think it was the power supply or do you think it was the new motherboard?

LinusGGtips

I checked some reviews from Newegg and they say they are having the same issue. 

Replacement here I come :(

LinusGGtips