Raid m.2 SSDs inside Aorus x3

riixupvp

Hi, so a quick backstory is this, I bought a gigabyte aorus x3 plus with 2x256gb SSDs, however, when it arrived it only had 1 256gb ssd, I contacted the seller and they sent over another 256gb m.2 ssd.

The problem is this, I can't find any articles on how to raid m.2 SSDs, would I have to clear both drives before putting them in raid? Or can my existing 256gb with windows 8.1 just have the other one added onto it in raid. Kinda a newbie question but I've never had to do this before, thanks.

@riixupvp

It would be the same as setting up raid with two normal drives so yes depending on what raid you are using (assuming raid 0) then your data will need to be wiped.

But honestly it is not really useful to run them in raid IMO. The risk of one drive failing and you losing ALL your data is to high.  

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

@riixupvp

It would be the same as setting up raid with two normal drives so yes depending on what raid you are using (assuming raid 0) then your data will need to be wiped.

But honestly it is not really useful to run them in raid IMO. The risk of one drive failing and you losing ALL your data is to high.  

Well they run in raid 0 from the factory, I'm just trying to get it that way lol. 

How many motherboards come with 2x m2 slots? 

Ryzen 5600 Be Quiet! PureBase500DX  CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB  Asus ROG Strix B450-F  1660 Super  Crucial DDR4 32GB 2x16 3800mhz  SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB NVMe  Seagate Barracuda 3TB  Mechanical Keyboard Red switches Logitech G502 mouse  EVGA Supernova 750w GA gold   32" Acer curved 1440p 144hz  MSI 32" Curved 1440p165hz  Aopen 32" 1440p 144hz

if you raid 0 them you'll have to re install windows cause your existing drive will be wiped.

mostly it's like this: set the sata mode in the bios on raid.

restart

spam crtl + r (when it asks you)

configure raid 0

this is how it works on my desktop, i'm not sure about notebooks though

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace