Would my system bottleneck a Titan X?

TitanXYZ

My system currently consists of:

• GTX 980
  • EVGA 650w Supernova

Is it worth getting a Titan X or should i upgrade my motherboard and CPU? I only use my computer for gaming and i love playing games on ultra settings. So would i get a bigger performance increase from a new CPU or a Titan X?

Any help will be great thanks.

not worth upgrading tbh 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

From a price to performance ratio, a Titan X is not worth it. In regards to which will give a bigger performance boost, a more powerful graphics card will have a much greater affect than a more powerful CPU.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Nope, and you'd get more performance with two 980s.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

-Snipe-

You will get a bottleneck in some really CPU intensive games, like MMOs. However, the Titan X generally isn't worth it. 4k might be worth it (it'll reduce the bottleneck too), but a 980 is more than sufficient for now.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

From a price to performance ratio, a Titan X is not worth it. You will get a bigger performance boost by going with a more powerful graphics card.

I think you said something different than what you meant...

I think you said something different than what you meant...

No. I was responding to two different questions OP had.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

No. I was responding to two different questions OP had.

The way it was laid out in your post didn't seem that way. What I do is I just add a separate line to show that.

The way it was laid out in your post didn't seem that way. What I do is I just add a separate line to show that.

Noted and edited.

Hmm a 980 is very nice. I'd do this

1. Get an i5-4690k and a new mobo to support it.

2. This is only if you've got 8gbs of ram. If you've got 8 buy the exact same set of ram in your pc whether it be a 1x8 Kingston Fury Black Series or ect.. If it's some old 1333mhz off-brand ram get a new 2x8 kit for like $100 at 1600 or 1866mhz, (best bang for buck speed wise)

3. Get a new PSU, After you get a new PSU if you wanna play games maxxed out ect ect.. Get another 980. (750-850W should be good for under load situations)

This will cost you the same if not less then getting a titan X, oh and get a SSD if you don't have one. 256 to 512gb anywhere in that range is good.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Wait until 980ti and see what the price is imo...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Wait until 980ti and see what the price is imo...

Its gonna b anywhere from $600-$900 dollars... The 980 May drop in price a little bit and at that point if you aren't playing 1440p or higher a 980 is perfect. Dang even for 1440p a 980 will perform pretty darn good. If he already has a 980 he misewell SLI and do what I said in a Previous post.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

What resolution are you playing on, OP?  if you overclock that 980 it will be more than powerful enough for 1080p and 1440p.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

My system currently consists of:

• GTX 980
  • EVGA 650w Supernova

Is it worth getting a Titan X or should i upgrade my motherboard and CPU? I only use my computer for gaming and i love playing games on ultra settings. So would i get a bigger performance increase from a new CPU or a Titan X?

Any help will be great thanks.

what resolution you playing at? overclock your CPU if you need and it should outperform an i5-4690 (considered a good chip for gaming)

If you are playing at 1080, don't upgrade anything...

if you are playing at 1440, overclock your 980

if you are playing at 4k, buy another 980 if possible (or a titan X)

----

with Z170 chipsets and Skylake 14nm processors using ddr4 memory only a few months away I wouldn't update your mobo/cpu until they are released, the ix-4xxx series of intel chips are very marginally faster than the ix-3xxx series... not worth the upgrade of socket, unless you want SLI or extra sata ports that your current motherboard doesn't have,.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

what resolution you playing at? overclock your CPU if you need and it should outperform an i5-4690 (considered a good chip for gaming)

If you are playing at 1080, don't upgrade anything...

if you are playing at 1440, overclock your 980

if you are playing at 4k, buy another 980 if possible (or a titan X)

----

with Z170 chipsets and Skylake 14nm processors using ddr4 memory only a few months away I wouldn't update your mobo/cpu until they are released, the ix-4xxx series of intel chips are very marginally faster than the ix-3xxx series... not worth the upgrade of socket, unless you want SLI or extra sata ports that your current motherboard doesn't have,.

I would say if he's got a 980 he misewell get another 980. Especially if he's not playing 4k. 980 SLI is faster then a titan x is a lot,of situations also.