Why does everyone want to develop a game?

Stuff_

Serious question. 

I am completely turned off by the thought of developing a game. I've never really cared about that. My interests are more tuned towards information security.

But here, and in my CS classes at school (especially the senior level ones) everyone seems to want to create a game. 

Why is this? 

Go ask them.

The reason I want to is because I'm tired of the crap games we're getting.

Everyone has the desire to do something until they realize how hard it is - that's where the true desire shows.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

at one point i wanted to design a game just to say i had done it. three years into a CS degree...i dont want to do a game anymore. but i would like to do software. personally i find software more entertaining than a game. maybe that is just because i am not to a level of programming where i could effectively make a game. but i have lost that itch for making one

Serious question. 

I am completely turned off by the thought of developing a game. I've never really cared about that. My interests are more tuned towards information security.

But here, and in my CS classes at school (especially the senior level ones) everyone seems to want to create a game. 

Why is this? 

You answered your own question. " My interests" .Their interests are obviously different. Information security is obviously more important. But its all about doing what you love.

These days anyone can download Unity or Unreal engines and watch the many hours of education videos on youtube or Lynda and learn how to make a game.  The thing I've found is that if you want to do anything beyond a very simple game, you're going to need several developers.

I would say they want to get as many people as they can involved.  There's a lot of cool info out there, really pretty cool what you can find.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

I just personally think making games is a SMALL part of developing software.

But it feels like so many want to focus on that. 

People have the desire to develop games because they want to play a game that suits every one of their interests. To design a game around everything you like, it's essentially a personalized experience. 

Serious question.

Why is this?

have you been living under a rock? Look at today's market. Majority of the top kek games are bullshit.

Clearly people decided to take maters in there own hand and make games that doesn't suck or is a cash grab.

I say good on them! Change the market! Make something spectacular!

its a very niche group. occasionally you get a game (lets use angry birds) that begins reaching into the general consumer market.

have you been living under a rock? Look at today's market. Majority of the top kek games are bullshit.

Clearly people decided to take maters in there own hand and make games that doesn't suck or is a cash grab.

I say good on them! Change the market! Make something spectacular!

Actually, no I have not. 

Most games are "bullshit" because they take a long time to develop, and are usually released prematurely with several bugs. 

maybe because they like making and playing games as a hobbie and think they could make a good game i have tried it with a friend but gave up on the project we got a basic map and the ai done plus the player 

Game development is up until now, pretty much limitless.

If you take security on the other hand: One day all leaks/holes/flaws will be patched.

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

Actually, no I have not.

Most games are "bullshit" because they take a long time to develop, and are usually released prematurely with several bugs.

no no no no too long development time is not the issue in fact it's too short , it's actually good that a game takes its sweet time.

The problem is QC and proper testing.

Mostly

If you take security on the other hand: One day all leaks/holes/flaws will be patched.

I disagree, security will always be a thing. as we develop new technology, there will be new leaks/flaws 

Your second statement is not true. Reverse engineering will always be there to be used to find security issues. As long as a human is developing the software, there will be security issues. 

Serious question. 

Why is this? 

Because they haven't realised the real money is in the Business/enterprise application market. seriously, you can make some big bucks by developing a program that takes a csv file as input and just replaces the '.' characters with'_' characters.

I like developing games and engines because I enjoy learning something new every time I open up visual studio.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Games have a very wide range of east/small to hard/big.
~15 Years ago I made a small game in pascal. You hat one tank on the bottom and could drive and shoot at airplanes with projectiles and lock on rockets... all in 320x200 by 256 colors graphic. Rockets hat a smoke trail via particle system and the chains of the tank moved with its movement. It was awesome! :D

Of course if you have one of this kids that want to make the next battlefield... people with expectations like that can just end up being disappointed, no managing to create a clone of a game that took Dice some hundred man years of professional developers.

If you're gonna learn to program, you need a task to achieve.

If you're inexperienced, it seems like a good way to get into programming.

If you're experienced, it seems like a fun way to spend 5 years (mostly developing the engine) or a fairly boring few months, working with someone else's API.

Reasons to get into game development:

1. Fun work environment: Working with other talented people who are also passionate about games, lax dress codes, fast paced
  2. Relatively fast iteration times: You see the result of what you're working on quickly
  3. Exposure to Multiple Disciplines: Where else will you see such a cross road of artistic and technical expertise
  4. Pride of finished product: When things go well and final product is well received the pride is great
  5. Fanfare: Like any other entertainment industry, knowing you entertained potentially hundreds to millions is a good feeling
  6. Creative Control: Mostly when indie, you get to make something you like

Reasons to stay away from game development:

1. Crunch: Lot's of unpaid OT
  2. Relatively lower than average pay: For equivalent positions requiring same level of experience in other fields, salary is 10-15% lower in gaming
  3. Solid coding practices often go out the window when the clock is against you: If you are a dead set on avoiding "Hacks" this isn't the industry for you
  4. Questionable Job security: Ramp ups will swell teams to gigantic sizes only to have people be massively laid off after the hardest part or production
  5. Poisonous community: Gamers are a demanding market that will quickly turn poisonous when displeased
  6. Creative Control: In AAA development, you are a cog in the big machine and ultimately don't call the shots

Ultimately to answer your question OP, you are part of one of the first generations to have grown up with video games in their lives.

Why not turn a lifelong passion into a career, as the saying goes, "Do what you love and you'll never work a day of your life".