Complete IHS removal or thermal paste reapplication?

I have decided to do some kind of IHS mod, as my 4770K is running way hotter than it should. The question is, should I get completely rid of the IHS, or should I just clean away the old glue and thermal paste, apply new paste and put the IHS back on top? Completely getting rid of the IHS would probably drop the temp down a couple degrees I guess, but is it worth it? (or is it even possible)

You should replace the IHS after you change the thermal compound. I'm not sure about this, but I think that because of heatsink mounting pressure you would run the risk of damaging the CPU die by leaving out the IHS. I may be corrected on this, but it's my feeling that the potential benefit wouldn't outweigh the risks.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Cleaning and applying new paste is easy and safe. As long as you don't put too much, it will help.
Removing the IHS is risky.
Are you willing to risk the CPU in order to get a few degrees cooler? If not, then stick with the simpler option.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Cleaning and applying new paste is easy and safe. As long as you don't put too much, it will help.

Removing the IHS is risky.

Are you willing to risk the CPU in order to get a few degrees cooler? If not, then stick with the simpler option.

Yes, the CPU is impossible to overclock, with a custom loop (420+360+D5 with 1 R9 290), I cant get it past 4.3GHz. Haswell is known to run very hot because of the glue between the pcb and ihs.

So I have concluded with reapplying thermal paste & then smacking the IHS on top of that. Seems to be the best result for the least risk. Thanks guys for responding so fast:)

Yes, the CPU is impossible to overclock, with a custom loop (420+360+D5 with 1 R9 290), I cant get it past 4.3GHz. Haswell is known to run very hot because of the glue between the pcb and ihs.

Ya, I remember it being a big deal when they were released. But potentially damaging a processor that you could still sell for a few hundred seems too risky, IMHO.

Just checked base specs and you're getting a 800Mhz overclock (3.5Ghz to 4.3Ghz). I don't have that much OC experience, but I'd expect that to be a really good overclock. Are other people able to get 1Ghz + OC?

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Ya, I remember it being a big deal when they were released. But potentially damaging a processor that you could still sell for a few hundred seems too risky, IMHO.

Just checked base specs and you're getting a 800Mhz overclock (3.5Ghz to 4.3Ghz). I don't have that much OC experience, but I'd expect that to be a really good overclock. Are other people able to get 1Ghz + OC?

yeah, the average overclocked temps with an air cooler is almost 4.5GHz according to hwbot.org. With my loop, I was expecting at least 4.6. Besides, IHS removals with hammer & vice are almost fail-proof if done with caution.

yeah, the average overclocked temps with an air cooler is almost 4.5GHz according to hwbot.org. With my loop, I was expecting at least 4.6. Besides, IHS removals with hammer & vice are almost fail-proof if done with caution.

If you ever do it, take pics and posts your before and after. I'd like to see the whole process.

If you ever do it, take pics and posts your before and after. I'd like to see the whole process.

Sure, probably not going to do it until late summer though, saving up for a new build and gonna do the IHS mod for that:)

Could always just sell it and pay the slight price difference for a 4790k