First time going SLi.

neocen

I have a 4790K - Liquid Cooled.  MSI z97 Gaming 7 motherboard.  It included a SLi Bridge, so I know it's compatible with this mobo.  I also have an RM 1000 PSU, but I was just wondering... all I need is the two GTX 980s and a SLi bridge?  And does it have to be in the first and last slot?  I can't find the manual.  It seems like it would be pretty close to the PSU - is that ok?  In case you're wondering, I have one EVGA 780 Ti at the moment.  

Is the 780 Ti a larger card than the EVGA 980 GTX by the way?

Top two slots I believe on the gaming 7.  You should be able to insert both cards hook up the SLI bridge (make sure its seated properly) and go into the nVidia control panel and turn on SLI.  It's pretty easy to set up.

I have a 4790K - Liquid Cooled.  MSI z97 Gaming 7 motherboard.  It included a SLi Bridge, so I know it's compatible with this mobo.  I also have an RM 1000 PSU, but I was just wondering... all I need is the two GTX 980s and a SLi bridge?  And does it have to be in the first and last slot?  I can't find the manual.  It seems like it would be pretty close to the PSU - is that ok?  In case you're wondering, I have one EVGA 780 Ti at the moment.  

Why not buy another 780 TI?

And yes all you need are the 2 cards and a SLI bridge.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

Because I want the extra VRAM.  I'm big into modding and I was going to get a Titan X, but I'd rather have two 980s.  I'm only 20 so it'll kinda sit better with me financially.

Also, do either of you have Skype or Steam? 

My only other question is, it says the 980 takes up dual slot.  I'd be getting the EVGA ACX 2.0 versions.  Would that be a problem for me? If not, I'll be making the purchase the moment you say it's good.  Kinda need extra reassurance with the amount of money this stuff is :x.

Why not buy another 780 TI?

And yes all you need are the 2 cards and a SLI bridge.

Yeah Go with 780TI SLI. 

Just wait for the new Nvidia driver to see if that fixes the kepler nerf. 

INTEL I5-4670K | ASUS Z87-A | CORSAIR 16GB Vengence | EVGA GTX 980 SuperClocked | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | COOLER MASTER CM Storm Scout 2 | CORSAIR RM850

I'm getting the 980s.  That was my question.  I'm afraid to say it, but I won't be able to mod The Witcher 3 on absolutely max settings and get decent FPS with two 780s.  The extra VRAM is needed.  This is for the future too.  Mad Max, etc.  I play games completely maxed.  That's why I want these 980s.

This guy at Newegg is saying I can't refund one of the 980s if it ends up not being able to fit in my case or whatever may happen to make it so I can't use the second card (if something happens).  Is that true?  This seems a little eh.  

Ordered.  Two EVGA GTX 980 SC.  Warranties with.

Ordered.  Two EVGA GTX 980 SC.  Warranties with.

If you still had the questions, I can try to answer some for you since nobody else here seemed too interested in the original questions you asked. Lol.

Just put the two GPUs in the first two PCIe slots, and connect the SLI bridge to them. The Nvidia program (having a brainfart, can't think of what the Hell it's called) should detect you're running them in SLI.

You shouldn't have a problem with them being dual slot cards--this just means they take up two of those removable slots that should be on the back of your case. I have an MSI GAMING 5 mobo and I ran SLI 970s fine with that. I believe the GAMING 7 is the same size with the same PCIe slots, and 970s are dual slot as well.

Regarding your 780Ti vs 980 size question: it really all depends on what 780Ti you have. The MSI Lightning 780Ti, for example, is a triple slot card, while other coolers may not be.

Enjoy your 980s. They oughta kick ass. :)

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Check MSI's website for the manual to make sure you put the cards in the right slots.

But yeah it's just a matter of plugging in the GPU's and then putting the SLI bridge on. (Then a driver reinstall + enabling SLI in the nvidia control panel)

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti