Ford follows Tesla’s lead and opens all their electric vehicle patents

thebrandnewa.jpg

This is a pretty good way to encourage your competitors to collaborate with you (even if you're charging for a license fee like Ford is). Electric cars are still not a big thing, a large part of that comes down to battery life (and the lack of it). Hopefully with more companies opening up their patents to free use/licensing, we'll see more inroads on battery tech being advanced to the point that electric cars are wholly feasible for the general population. 

Ford said that 20% of their patent applications filed last year were related to electric vehicles. They cited a few patents about battery charge balancing, regenerative braking and managing energy consumption.

Last year, Tesla said the move proved popular with engineers and they thought it could help attract more talent at the company. And on that note, Ford said they are looking to hire 200 “electrified vehicle engineers” by the end of the year.

The company invites anyone interested in their technologies to contact AutoHarvest, a program which allows members to showcase technologies and to connect with the inventors to explore potential business development opportunities.

Ford says there will be a licensing fee. Although their patents are now accessible to competitors, they are not entirely free. Toyota did something similar earlier this year to promote their fuel cell technology. Their licenses are free of charge until 2020, around the time Toyota expects their technology to be fully introduced, then licensing fees will apply.

http://electrek.co/2015/05/28/ford-follow-teslas-lead-and-open-all-their-electric-vehicles-patents/

Imagine... if simply by taking the lead in sharing, Tesla spawns a future where car companies end up sharing and improving upon each other and the world becomes a better place.

Overly optimistic, obviously, but man, that would be something.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I dont mind companies giving up patents for money. it makes sense. Its wierd to see so much info being shared between companies, everyone helping each other. its wierd because they are all competitors. 

but then again, for electric cars/self driving cars to really work, everyone needs to be onboard. If charging stations are put in, it would suck for them to be brand specific. 

Now let us get rid of commerce and everyone will share even more good ideas sooner and things will get done quicker and it will make the world a better place for all. 

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Now let us get rid of commerce and everyone will share even more good ideas sooner and things will get done quicker and it will make the world a better place for all. 

Yea, while we are wishing for pie in the sky things that will never happen, can I wish for a boat? Maybe a pet leopard? I hear those are all the rage these days. 

I dont mind companies giving up patents for money. it makes sense. Its wierd to see so much info being shared between companies, everyone helping each other. its wierd because they are all competitors. 

but then again, for electric cars/self driving cars to really work, everyone needs to be onboard. If charging stations are put in, it would suck for them to be brand specific. 

It is noteworthy because the car industry is exceptionally closed off and really doesn't share unless it absolutely needs to. You more often see large scale partnerships before you see "we are licensing our patents out". I mean the best example I can show you is carbon ceramic brakes. Brembo does not reveal their secret sauce, but they will sign agreements to make brakes for you. GM will not show you how their magnetic suspension works, yet they happily made deals with companies like Ferrari to use their tech. 

So when a car company says "Yea, those patents? Go ahead, you can freely use them in your products". Thats a big deal. These companies often share products but never the ideas.  

Imagine... if simply by taking the lead in sharing, Tesla spawns a future where car companies end up sharing and improving upon each other and the world becomes a better place.

Overly optimistic, obviously, but man, that would be something.

Imagine if amd Intel and nvidia did this

[emoji50]

Yea, while we are wishing for pie in the sky things that will never happen, can I wish for a boat? Maybe a pet leopard? I hear those are all the rage these days. 

You can do whatever you like Victorious Secret and I will do whatever I like.  Ok?  If people thought like you did and didn't talk about things that needed to change then in some ways the world would be in an even worse state than it is if you can imagine that.  Anyway have a nice day.

For the sake of electric cars they can make an exception... and i think they are starting to realize that they have to do that.

Because the oil companies have gone beserk and will otherwise cause long lasting damage to our entire civilization in the name of greed.

You can do whatever you like Victorious Secret and I will do whatever I like.  Ok?  If people thought like you did and didn't talk about things that needed to change then in some ways the world would be in an even worse state than it is if you can imagine that.  Anyway have a nice day.

Did I say I don't want change? How can you assume that? You spew the same one-liner in most threads for no reason, making an off topic comment entirely, then get pissy when people ask why you even say such things. 

You want change? Why don't you get up, run for a political position, and actually prove that you are a man of your word. Talking shit over the internet is nice in theory, you're not exactly getting any positive change done now are you? 

You have a nice day too, please feel free to never post your off topic comment in one of my threads again, okay? 

Imagine if amd Intel and nvidia did this

[emoji50]

They're happy to license tech as is, so at least they've got that going for them.

Victorious there is nothing wrong with what I first stated.  Also I don't need to run for political office to stand up for what I believe in.  I think I am a man of my word and I repeat the same political belief system all the time.  Last but not least I will post wherever I like as long as I follow the guidelines and in my initial post I did just that.  I think the world would be a better place if people worked together to just bring the best products to people and not put a price on them.  Commerce slows down progress.  Companies withhold technology, cures to illnesses and more because they want to make money.  Get rid of money and then there is no incentive to hold this stuff back.  Simple as that. 

Victorious there is nothing wrong with what I first stated. Also I don't need to run for political office to stand up for what I believe in. I think I am a man of my word and I repeat the same political belief system all the time. Last but not least I will post wherever I like as long as I follow the guidelines and in my initial post I did just that. I think the world would be a better place if people worked together to just bring the best products to people and not put a price on them. Commerce slows down progress. Companies withhold technology, cures to illnesses and more because they want to make money. Get rid of money and then there is no incentive to hold this stuff back. Simple as that.

Lol okay. You want a utopian society that will NEVER exist.

And I work in the healthcare industry, with a big pharma company. You think we're holding back cures? Lol.

Do you have any idea how expensive it is to even take a drug to trial? BILLIONS. It is expensive to do things right. Companies have a window of a decade to make sure the drug even does anything. If it doesn't, they write off that cost and move on. You really think they're holding back cures?

That's laughable and quite frankly insulting to those of us who work in the Industry. We hold back in so far as making sure our shit doesn't cause more damage than the benefits it presents. There's a reason experimental drugs are experimental and it's not because companies are holding back the real deal.

Sigh. I'm actually pissed that you'd think that.

Lol okay. You want a utopian society that will NEVER exist.

And I work in the healthcare industry, with a big pharma company. You think we're holding back cures? Lol.

Do you have any idea how expensive it is to even take a drug to trial? BILLIONS. It is expensive to do things right. Companies have a window of a decade to make sure the drug even does anything. If it doesn't, they write off that cost and move on. You really think they're holding back cures?

That's laughable and quite frankly insulting to those of us who work in the Industry. We hold back in so far as making sure our shit doesn't cause more damage than the benefits it presents. There's a reason experimental drugs are experimental and it's not because companies are holding back the real deal.

Sigh. I'm actually pissed that you'd think that.

So you think companies don't hold back stuff that could make things better for the world in different ways eh?

Well my dad who worked at Polysar that became all sorts of things worked with a group of people and they made a tire that would never wear out.  Now like he said they would never release this because there is no money to be made on a tire that never wears out.

So what do you have to say about that?  Commerce doesn't hold anything back?

So you think companies don't hold back stuff that could make things better for the world in different ways eh?

Well my dad who worked at Polysar that became all sorts of things worked with a group of people and they made a tire that would never wear out. Now like he said they would never release this because there is no money to be made on a tire that never wears out.

So what do you have to say about that? Commerce doesn't hold anything back?

Oh please, the "tire that never wears out" red herring. What a crock of shit.

There are hundreds of millions of cars on the road. The company that secured the contract for supplying tires to OEMs would be filthy rich (still getting that commerce you seem to hate so much) while still getting to sell to people with "old fashioned tires" not to mention selling to new cars for however long. They would make plenty of money.

Do you even understand what it takes to make even the longest lasting tire? I don't think you have a single clue. You're just coming up with random and tangential "examples" and avoiding answering any retort. Once again, tell me about how big pharma holds back drugs and cures.

You're gonna make outlandish claims you should be able to back them up. You're the literal embodiment of tin foil hat conspiracies and pie in the sky thinking. Quite frankly I was insulted at your healthcare remarks and it seems to have no real evidence or facts just conjecture.

Like I said before, stay out of my threads with your conjecture and "down with commerce" rants. There's a off topic forum for such talk.

Ah...Ford. Go further. 

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

Victorious Secret they made the everlasting tire and if you don't believe it you are allowed that. In regards to the information it was credible as my dad has never been a liar. Just because what I say doesn't fit in with your belief system of what is and isn't possible doesn't mean it isn't true.  Also there is nothing wrong with my original statement and just because you disagree with it doesn't mean you are right. Oh and about my comment on healthcare and companies holding back cures so they can sell drugs it is not hard to believe in a world like this.  Companies are about making the most money they can off an idea and product and do you think they want to give up the hundreds of millions or billions they make off a drug or drugs per year just for the good of all mankind?  I don't think so.  You said it yourself that many don't want a Utopia or expect it ever.  Many people out there believe what I say happens.  Look at other businesses that are not medical related trying to hold onto the cash cow they have however they can and you say it can't happen with companies making drugs? Seriously get real.  Also can you try to tone down your posts?  A bit aggressive for my liking and probably some other people's liking.

... and again I applaud Ford and Tesla sharing information with others by opening all their electric vehicle patents.  Hopefully it will lead to other companies doing similar things with other products and in the end getting better quality products and getting them out there sooner for the consumer to use.

I wonder if there's any merit to using a transmission with an electric motor like we do with combustion engines for the same reasons.

Dunno if that'd work because the motor is smaller than a flywheel... Hmm.

Did I say I don't want change? How can you assume that? You spew the same one-liner in most threads for no reason, making an off topic comment entirely, then get pissy when people ask why you even say such things.

You want change? Why don't you get up, run for a political position, and actually prove that you are a man of your word. Talking shit over the internet is nice in theory, you're not exactly getting any positive change done now are you?

You have a nice day too, please feel free to never post your off topic comment in one of my threads again, okay?

Car bomb the nearest CEOs car for the ultimate change! <3

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Get rid of commerce???  WTF are you talking about.

Do you work for free?  Why don't you show how generous you are and give your own labor away so that you can make an absurd remark like you have.  Go ahead... lead the way!  I have some toilets that need cleaning.  Would you mind?

Get rid of commerce???  WTF are you talking about.

Do you work for free?  Why don't you show how generous you are and give your own labor away so that you can make an absurd remark like you have.  Go ahead... lead the way!  I have some toilets that need cleaning.  Would you mind?

Toddskins yes I would work for free if it was to better all of mankind.  The remark I made is not absurd.  Well it is to people who are small minded and can't see a world without greed and more which comes from commerce.  Now getting back to the article hopefully the move by Ford and Tesla to allow others to see and build on whatever they have done that is patented/was patented will be another step to move in the direction of all people sharing ideas and just working to create better products for mankind.

Toddskins yes I would work for free if it was to better all of mankind.  The remark I made is not absurd.  Well it is to people who are small minded and can't see a world without greed and more which comes from commerce.  Now getting back to the article hopefully the move by Ford and Tesla to allow others to see and build on whatever they have done that is patented/was patented will be another step to move in the direction of all people sharing ideas and just working to create better products for mankind.

It is absurd.  And in your mind, what job would you do for free?  Who decides to clean the toilets?  Your dictators who are not equal?  Who made them dictators?  Communistic bullshit.

Grow up.

It is absurd.  And in your mind, what job would you do for free?  Who decides to clean the toilets?  Your dictators who are not equal?  Who made them dictators?  Communistic bullshit.

Grow up.

Toddskins nowhere in your post do you bring up the original topic in any way.  Also telling someone to grow up just because they have a different political belief system than you makes no sense at all.  There are many grown up people that believe in communism or similar.  With my politics if I want more ideas shared by people and have it have nothing to do with commerce and you don't agree with it well it doesn't mean I am a kid.  It means I have different politics than you.  I think you have some growing up to do.  Finally I do believe the world could get more done if it worked together and didn't have money in the way and communism and similar politics are about that.  Put people who have morality and care about the world as a whole in leadership positions and these sort of politics can work.  Once again I will applaud Ford and Tesla's small step in creating a world where people share ideas and work together to bring out the best electric vehicle they can.  It would be nice if it was done for the good of all though and there was not a price put on the product in the end.

Toddskins nowhere in your post do you bring up the original topic in any way.  Also telling someone to grow up just because they have a different political belief system than you makes no sense at all.  There are many grown up people that believe in communism or similar.  With my politics if I want more ideas shared by people and have it have nothing to do with commerce and you don't agree with it well it doesn't mean I am a kid.  It means I have different politics than you.  I think you have some growing up to do.  Finally I do believe the world could get more done if it worked together and didn't have money in the way and communism and similar politics are about that.  Put people who have morality and care about the world as a whole in leadership positions and these sort of politics can work.  Once again I will applaud Ford and Tesla's small step in creating a world where people share ideas and work together to bring out the best electric vehicle they can.  It would be nice if it was done for the good of all though and there was not a price put on the product in the end.

But come on, be a sport. Do tell if you would clean the toilets to keep in running with your ideology that you spoke of in your "no commerce" post.  Do not avoid the topic, that you introduced.

I do not need to be taught that 6+ billion people have differing viewpoints on every issue under the sun, including economic theory, which communism is. 

But don't ignore the request.  Show your mettle and answer the question.