Power buzz/hum/zap, not PSU

Tilaron
Go to solution Solved by Novistion,

Figured it out. It's my Seagate 3TB :/

I don't know why it does this but right now it is behaving normally. Even when it makes the sound & resonance it works normally as far as I can tell.

Now that I know it's a HDD, should I be worried? It's 2 years old and has about 650GB free space, defrags on a schedule and isn't on a power saving plan. It's mainly full of movie files, with some music files.

Unplug it for a while and make sure you have a back up of it. One of my WD Black2 did that and I had to get another. Also please mark as solved :)

For about 3 months my computer will start making the following noise for a few days before returning to normal for a couple of weeks: https://mega.co.nz/#!SVYm1aqR!TJyhKakSeVL1S1XAqqIeydSIWgBCemlWxs0hY3leFJ4

I thought a PSU change (2 weeks ago) would stop it and for a time thought it had worked, but yesterday it came back. I suspect it is a HDD, but whenever I open the side panel I can't track it down precisely enough. I've tried taking out all the storage drives & putting them back in in different orders one at a time, but it's only when they're all in together that this noise starts.

Should I just put up with it and pray it isn't a drive getting close to death? I have limited funds so replacing one or more HDDs is out of the question for the time being, what other options are there?

Could you upload it to something else except MEGA? I'd rather listen to it online than risk downloading malware/spyware etc.

I've tried several different sites and they all complain about it being .wma, and I can't attach it to posts here either.

Anyone else want to try and help? :(

Could you upload it to something else except MEGA? I'd rather listen to it online than risk downloading malware/spyware etc.

Don't you have a antivirus solution...?

I've tried several different sites and they all complain about it being .wma, and I can't attach it to posts here either.

You can upload it to soundcloud. .WAV is a supported file format.

http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/1198303-what-types-of-files-can-i-upload-

CPU: Core i7 4770K @ 3.5GHz Motherboard: ASUS Z87-EXPERT RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600 MHz GPU(s): EVGA GTX 980 Classified SLI Case: Coolermaster HAF X Storage: Samsung 256 GB 840 Pro, 2x2TB WD Caviar Black, 2x4TB WD Green PSU: Corsair AX860 860W Display: LG 31MU97-B 4K(4096x2160) and Dell S2716DG 27in 2K 1440p 144hz, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Blue switches Mouse: Razer Naga Epic Chroma and Death Adder Chroma Sound:Audioengine D1 Dac and Sennheiser HD650 Operating System: Win 10 Pro

Its probably fans. Sounds sort of like vibration/coil whine sort of sound.

I don't know why it does this but right now it is behaving normally. Even when it makes the sound & resonance it works normally as far as I can tell.

Now that I know it's a HDD, should I be worried? It's 2 years old and has about 650GB free space, defrags on a schedule and isn't on a power saving plan. It's mainly full of movie files, with some music files.

Unplug it for a while and make sure you have a back up of it. One of my WD Black2 did that and I had to get another. Also please mark as solved :)

Ran by coffee

A harddrive making sounds isn't good.

CPU: Core i7 4770K @ 3.5GHz Motherboard: ASUS Z87-EXPERT RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600 MHz GPU(s): EVGA GTX 980 Classified SLI Case: Coolermaster HAF X Storage: Samsung 256 GB 840 Pro, 2x2TB WD Caviar Black, 2x4TB WD Green PSU: Corsair AX860 860W Display: LG 31MU97-B 4K(4096x2160) and Dell S2716DG 27in 2K 1440p 144hz, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Blue switches Mouse: Razer Naga Epic Chroma and Death Adder Chroma Sound:Audioengine D1 Dac and Sennheiser HD650 Operating System: Win 10 Pro