Gtx 970 Not Working, No signal

Go to solution Solved by AgentSoo7,

I've sent the cards back to the shop and they said they will give me a call tomorrow so for know its back to the 770

So this is the third time I make a post about this problem and the last two times you guys gave me some very good suggestions, tried them all and...still nothing. Allow me to explain.

Yesterday I purchased I couple of gtx 970, came home and installed only one card to make sure everything is ok. When I power my system on, the card seems be working, fans spinning etc but I get no video output just a black screen and my resolution is scaled down to 640 by 480(I have a 1080p monitor). Long story short, I've tried everyhting: clr_cmos, set video output to PCI-E in bios, tried two different monitors, at least 4 HDMI cables, tried DVI-I to VGA adapter, tried both cards and I have updated the MBO bios.

A few thinks I should note: Using a Asus Maximus VII Ranger MBO(be sure to tell me there is something wrong eg incompatibility with my MBO) with i7 4770k, iGPU works just fine, my old GTX 660 and 770 work just fine, my 970 are the EVGA ACX 2.0 Ref.

Sooo if any you guys got any other ideas please tell, would really appreciate it :).

You have both power cables plugged into the card?  (Don't remember if that card uses 2x6 or 1x6 1x8).  Also, how do you know your resolution is 640x480 if you have a black screen?  Does your monitor have a built in popup that displays resolution when it changes?

You have both power cables plugged into the card?  (Don't remember if that card uses 2x6 or 1x6 1x8).  Also, how do you know your resolution is 640x480 if you have a black screen?  Does your monitor have a built in popup that displays resolution when it changes?

Yup both 6pins plugged and yes my monitor always displays for a few seconds its resolution when it turns on or when it changes

Just bring em back to the store

I would but it seems unlikely that I got two bad ones :/

Just bring em back to the store

I'm gonna try to see what the problem is before I do that

I'm gonna try to see what the problem is before I do that

I wouldn't bother, sometimes they are faulty (waiting for three weeks myself) and it's wise to just let the warranty handle it if not you may waste time as I am waiting for four weeks and well hehehe I ahhh really don't like using intel hd graphics

FWIW,

I have a Asus Maximus VII Ranger /w 4790K and 2 x GTX970 in SLI. No problems for me. Compatability shouldn't be an issue.

You have pretty much exhausted all options other than trying the cards in another system. Try the cards in another system (or take them back to store and ask them to test there for while you are there) and that will determine if it is in fact your cards, or your system.

[spoiler=REDWING]  REDWING   | Custom Hard Line Water Cooling Loop   |   Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz   |   Asus Maximus VII Ranger   |   Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2400 2x8GB   |   2 x Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming (SLI)   |   Corsair AX860i   |   Samsung 850 Pro 512GB   |   Corsair Obsidian 750D   |   Corsair K95 RGB & M65 RGB   |   Samsung SyncMaster S27B370

Project Redwing Build Log

[spoiler=ZedNAS] 'ZedNAS' Home NAS Build   |   Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3   |   ASRock Rack E3C224D4I   |   Kingston KVR16E11/8I 2x8GB   |   Corsair HX750   |   6 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM HDD   |   Fractal Design Node 304 mITX Black   |   FreeNAS w/ PleX   |   ZFS Raid-Z2 (16TB Effective)   |

I wouldn't bother, sometimes they are faulty (waiting for three weeks myself) and it's wise to just let the warranty handle it if not you may waste time as I am waiting for four weeks and well hehehe I ahhh really don't like using intel hd graphics

Yeahh, welp its back to the good old 770 then ;)

FWIW,

I have a Asus Maximus VII Ranger /w 4790K and 2 x GTX970 in SLI. No problems for me. Compatability shouldn't be an issue.

You have pretty much exhausted all options other than trying the cards in another system. Try the cards in another system (or take them back to store and ask them to test there for while you are there) and that will determine if it is in fact your cards, or your system.

Will do thanks, maybe I'm just unlucky but one more question, could it be that my monitor has an older version of HDMI and the cards use HDMI 2.0? The reason why I'm asking is because my older GPUs work just fine

Will do thanks, maybe I'm just unlucky but one more question, could it be that my monitor has an older version of HDMI and the cards use HDMI 2.0? The reason why I'm asking is because my older GPUs work just fine

Shouldn't be an issue. HDMI 2.0 is backward compatible with HDMI 1.x. You said you have tried different outputs on the card so i doubt the issue relates to output type.

Does you system post? The Maximus VII Ranger has a post code LCD. What code does it hang on?

[spoiler=REDWING]  REDWING   | Custom Hard Line Water Cooling Loop   |   Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz   |   Asus Maximus VII Ranger   |   Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2400 2x8GB   |   2 x Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming (SLI)   |   Corsair AX860i   |   Samsung 850 Pro 512GB   |   Corsair Obsidian 750D   |   Corsair K95 RGB & M65 RGB   |   Samsung SyncMaster S27B370

[spoiler=ZedNAS] 'ZedNAS' Home NAS Build   |   Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3   |   ASRock Rack E3C224D4I   |   Kingston KVR16E11/8I 2x8GB   |   Corsair HX750   |   6 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM HDD   |   Fractal Design Node 304 mITX Black   |   FreeNAS w/ PleX   |   ZFS Raid-Z2 (16TB Effective)   |

Shouldn't be an issue. HDMI 2.0 is backward compatible with HDMI 1.x. You said you have tried different outputs on the card so i doubt the issue relates to output type.

Does you system post? The Maximus VII Ranger has a post code LCD. What code does it hang on?

My display has HDMI and VGA, tried both. System boots just fine without the 970 and with it it gets stuck for about a minute on error 62 and the VGA LED is on. After that it says AE or AO and the LED goes off, also the monitor seems to completely loose signal after the VGA LED goes off

My display has HDMI and VGA, tried both. System boots just fine without the 970 and with it it gets stuck for about a minute on error 62 and the VGA LED is on. After that it says AE or AO and the LED goes off, also the monitor seems to completely loose signal after the VGA LED goes off

If you connect your monitor via motherboard iGPU, can you boot into windows if your GTX970 is still in the system? If so, does the system show the 970 as a display adapter in device manager? 

You also have two slots on the motherboard. Try moving the card to the second red slot (PCIEX8_2) and see if it boots when in this slot.

I'm not sure, but I have a Strix 970 from Asus and it has a white LED near the power connectors to let the user know that its receiving power ok. 

Do the EVGA have that tiny white LED indicator as well? was it on when you connected the power cables?

Hope it helps.

I'm not sure, but I have a Strix 970 from Asus and it has a white LED near the power connectors to let the user know that its receiving power ok. 

Do the EVGA have that tiny white LED indicator as well? was it on when you connected the power cables?

Hope it helps.

the power leds are only on asus cards. but even without power directly from the psu the card should use the power from the pci slot to pass the igpu to the cards outputs.

if vga doesnt work i would check both the cards and the mobo for scratches. i scratched a powerline of a mobo onces while inserting a gpu. if you do that all kinds of funny things can happen.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

I've sent the cards back to the shop and they said they will give me a call tomorrow so for know its back to the 770