Boot issue in new build (see inside, please)

summit

Alright, just put a build together and for some reason, I cannot get it to boot properly and don't quite understand my motherboard's behavior.

Situation #1: If I clear the CMOS before booting, the system will boot, with the last visible debug codes being '62', then '99', then '64', then '99' indefinitely, until I press F2 or DEL where it goes into the BIOS, I can see the BIOS on my monitor, and navigate easily with my mouse and keyboard. In the BIOS, my motherboard shows 'Ab' which seems to be a good sign. My system is obviously making it past POST with no issues.

Situation #2: If I let the system reset after 'Saving Changes' or 'Discarding Changes' in the BIOS, it will attempt to boot, go through 'FF', 62, 99, 64, 99, all as normal, then change to CF after a few seconds on 99 and then completely turn off almost instantly after hitting CF. CF is an 'OEM BDS initialization code' which seems to be where the issue is but I do not know how to fix it.

In the BIOS, my CPU and RAM are both recognized, and VCore voltages are available and I can mess with whatever settings I choose and can stay at the BIOS indefinitely. Also, If I turn off my rig using the power supply switch, it will boot up again into the indefinite '99' as long as the boot before it was an indefinite '99'

Please let me know what other information you need from me or what troubleshooting steps I should take and report back with. Thanks everyone.

Link to my Mobo's Manual: ftp://66.226.78.21/manual/970%20Extreme4.pdf

EDIT:I have a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD I would like to install my OS on, but I need to boot from my USB Drive to install the OS. If I boot with neither the SSD nor my USB attached, I go right into the BIOS, no errors, almost instant 'Ab' and I do not need to clear the CMOS to boot correctly, which makes logicall sense. It seems like something is up with my boot devices and how the motherboard is handling them.

Setup:

ASRock 970 Extreme4 (Bios Version 2.6, I think)

AMD FX-8320

EVGA GTX 770 SC

16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz RAM

Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA 600B Power Supply

Alright, just put a build together and for some reason, I cannot get it to boot properly and don't quite understand my motherboard's behavior.

Situation #1: If I clear the CMOS before booting, the system will boot, with the last visible debug codes being '62', then '99', then '64', then '99' indefinitely, until I press F2 or DEL where it goes into the BIOS, I can see the BIOS on my monitor, and navigate easily with my mouse and keyboard. In the BIOS, my motherboard shows 'Ab' which seems to be a good sign. My system is obviously making it past POST with no issues.

Situation #2: If I let the system reset after 'Saving Changes' or 'Discarding Changes' in the BIOS, it will attempt to boot, go through 'FF', 62, 99, 64, 99, all as normal, then change to CF after a few seconds on 99 and then completely turn off almost instantly after hitting CF. CF is an 'OEM BDS initialization code' which seems to be where the issue is but I do not know how to fix it.

In the BIOS, my CPU and RAM are both recognized, and VCore voltages are available and I can mess with whatever settings I choose and can stay at the BIOS indefinitely. Also, If I turn off my rig using the power supply switch, it will boot up again into the indefinite '99' as long as the boot before it was an indefinite '99'

Please let me know what other information you need from me or what troubleshooting steps I should take and report back with. Thanks everyone.

Setup:

ASRock 970 Extreme4

AMD FX-8320

EVGA GTX 770 SC

16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz RAM

Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA 600B Power Supply

Lame question from me. I don't see a HDD or SSD in your setup above. Also, it's a new build so you did select boot from disk or usb right? Sorry for being lame here.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Lame question from me. I don't see a HDD or SSD in your setup above. Also, it's a new build so you did select boot from disk or usb right? Sorry for being lame here.

Ah yes, sorry about that, I have a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD I would like to install my OS on, but I need to boot from my USB Drive to install the OS. This is actually a very important part I forgot to mention, so I'll put it in the original post as well. If I boot with neither the SSD nor my USB attached, I go right into the BIOS, no errors, almost instant 'Ab' and I do not need to clear the CMOS to boot correctly, which makes logicall sense. It seems like something is up with my boot devices and how the motherboard is handling them.

Ah yes, sorry about that, I have a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD I would like to install my OS on, but I need to boot from my USB Drive to install the OS. This is actually a very important part I forgot to mention, so I'll put it in the original post as well. If I boot with neither the SSD nor my USB attached, I go right into the BIOS, no errors, almost instant 'Ab' and I do not need to clear the CMOS to boot correctly, which makes logicall sense. It seems like something is up with my boot devices and how the motherboard is handling them.

So basically with them attached, you are not even able to proceed into BIOS? not even when you spam the keys? If that is the case then I would say something somewhere the hardware (not sure which 1 yet) is faulty. If you are able to go into BIOS then maybe just settings isn't correct (have to choose boot from USB). I am also no expert in it as well. Sorry that I couldn't help much.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

So basically with them attached, you are not even able to proceed into BIOS? not even when you spam the keys? If that is the case then I would say something somewhere the hardware (not sure which 1 yet) is faulty. If you are able to go into BIOS then maybe just settings isn't correct (have to choose boot from USB). I am also no expert in it as well. Sorry that I couldn't help much.

With them attached, I can get it into the BIOS as long as I spam F2 or DEL on bootup. When I try to change the settings to boot from my USB, when it tries to boot from the USB, I get the CF error code and the motherboard completely shits off, with the fans still running, etc.

With them attached, I can get it into the BIOS as long as I spam F2 or DEL on bootup. When I try to change the settings to boot from my USB, when it tries to boot from the USB, I get the CF error code and the motherboard completely shits off, with the fans still running, etc.

Hmmm. Sorry but another lame question. Did you install from the USB before? I asked so as to filter down the issue. If you have never install from the USB before, is it possible for you to bring it to a friend's house to verify that the USB is ok and working? Other than that, I don't see a reason why you are having such issue. I mean if it is hardware fault, in theory you should not even be able to boot into BIOS (I think so right)?

Alternatively, pray hard some expert would come to answer and help you here. :(

Spoiler

Hmmm. Sorry but another lame question. Did you install from the USB before? I asked so as to filter down the issue. If you have never install from the USB before, is it possible for you to bring it to a friend's house to verify that the USB is ok and working? Other than that, I don't see a reason why you are having such issue. I mean if it is hardware fault, in theory you should not even be able to boot into BIOS (I think so right)?

Alternatively, pray hard some expert would come to answer and help you here. :(

Just went and checked it again to be sure, but no, the USB is working just fine. I'm hoping I get graced by the presence of an expert! Thanks for the help :)