Subwoofers for Car

JoshK

Hey, Im 15 and my parents and I got my first car today, a 2009 Chevy Cobalt LT. Really nice car. Anyways, Ive always wanted to put subwoofers in my car but dont know too much about them. I want to buy the whole setup at Best Buy, and then have Geek Squad install it. I want to stay under $500. If you guys could help me find a good setup that would help a lot. Thanks. 

Why not just do it yourself it isn't difficult? 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Do it yourself, you are 15 it's not like you are so busy that you have no time for a one day project.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Trawl through the car forums and have a look at Youtube tutorials to make sure you get adequate fuses and wire gauge if you're going to do it yourself. Last thing you want to do is burn out your car.

Why not just do it yourself it isn't difficult? 

Do it yourself, you are 15 it's not like you are so busy that you have no time for a one day project.

I dont want to do it myself because of both laziness and I dont want to mess anything up. I have looked up how to install them and tutorials and it was confusing. It may have been that I havent looked at the right one, so if you guys know any good guides, link them please. 

I dont want to do it myself because of both laziness and I dont want to mess anything up. I have looked up how to install them and tutorials and it was confusing. It may have been that I havent looked at the right one, so if you guys know any good guides, link them please. 

yeah... if you think speakers are confusing...

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

What exactly are you insinuating. 

What exactly are you insinuating. 

speakers have two wires man. two.

Spoiler

speakers have two wires man. two.

Thats not all you have to do man, you have to connect it to the amp, you have to find the right amp, you have to connect it to the fuse and the battery.. you have to use certain wire. 

Thats not all you have to do man, you have to connect it to the amp, you have to find the right amp, you have to connect it to the fuse and the battery.. you have to use certain wire. 

yea, and you already know that. So what is so hard.

Spoiler

the speakers them selves will have exactly the kind of amp they need to go in on them, then you get the amp with that rating and done. A little work makes it all worthwile.

if your getting them at best buy anyway, why not just test them out while your there?

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

I personally went through this about a year back when I bought a 2008 Chevy Cobalt. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself just look up a few subs online and see if you can try any in Best Buy. I got a JBL 12" Sub because after trying a few it was the right amount of bass for me without getting too unruly, having it cranked all the way up starts vibrating my rearview mirror and spoiler and makes it so the mirror's nothing but a blur...which obviously isn't too smart.

The only thing I can suggest is to go to an actual auto shop once you've picked your parts (sub, amp - the shop supplied really good wire for me). I asked a few friends who had gotten a sub installed and everyone that went to Best Buy was disappointed and had to go to an auto shop within a few months to get various things re-done as the jobs done were quite amateur. Various things like it being super visible where they had cut and hidden the wires for the amp and using really cheap wire. Obviously it depends on the experience of the people working at the specific BB but an auto shop is more likely to have competent people imo as they usually have a specialized audio expert. 

Doing it yourself is pretty unruly as there's a lot more to just knowing how to set everything up. You'll want to hide the cables neatly, get a custom box made for your sub and a custom "shelf" of some sort for your amp. Personally I couldn't have done all that for the price they did the job for me. 

Only other thing I'd think about first is if you only want to do the sub get a mono-amp. If you think you'll eventually upgrade the speakers in your car too you'll want more than a mono-amp otherwise you'll have to add a second amp to your car later on and if the '09 Cobalt is anything like my '08 the trunk is super small as is!

• 3 months later...

I hate people like you,who thinks just because they know how to do something,everybody does. This isnt just about pluging two cables,like guy above me said,you will want to hide cables,you will want to plug everything correct,you will have to order a custom box if you don't buy subwoofer with box,you will need to install it all.

That like me saying to you "here is website,rank it on google" (I do SEO). And I would be like "Well it is just one website,you just need to rank it,its very easy,when actually it is easy to me,not to you. You will probably had to hire someone to rank it instead of you. But you would be able to do it almost free if you choose to rank it yourself but you would need to learn new things,watch tutorials etc. Most people are to lazy do read this,even me,because it isn't just about pluging wires,there are a lot of more then that.

So if you don't want to help OP,just stop spamming and stop pretending that you are smart just because you think installing audio in your car is easy.