Never played a Metal Gear game. Is it okay to start with Ground Zeroes?

VG Docs

I want to get the MGS Legacy collection which includes MG1, MG2, MGS1 with VR Missions, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, and MGS Peace Walker. However, I won't be getting that game for quite a while. Next week PS+ users (like myself) will be receiving Ground Zeroes for free. Is it okay if I play through it, or is it necessary/needed to play through previous titles first?

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

I want to get the MGS Legacy collection which includes MG1, MG2, MGS1 with VR Missions, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, and MGS Peace Walker. However, I won't be getting that game for quite a while. Next week PS+ users (like myself) will be receiving Ground Zeroes for free. Is it okay if I play through it, or is it necessary/needed to play through previous titles first?

Metal Gear 1 was ROCK SOLID FUN (I played it on PSX, but PC is even better in regards to how it looks/keeps a cleaner image)

MGS1 really is a top notch game, I'd recommend it over and over and over.

MGS2 takes it to another level, on PC the game looks and plays great, I enjoyed myself.

I'd do it..

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Metal Gear 1 was ROCK SOLID FUN (I played it on PSX, but PC is even better in regards to how it looks/keeps a cleaner image)

MGS1 really is a top notch game, I'd recommend it over and over and over.

MGS2 takes it to another level, on PC the game looks and plays great, I enjoyed myself.

I'd do it..

I thought Ground Zeroes was the only Metal Gear on PC, aside from Revengeance? 

You most definitely owe it to yourself to play at the very least MGS1-4. Won't force you to play the very first metal gear (nuts), but at least read up on the stories, if you don't mind some spoilers.

Emulators my good sir. PCMasterRace

It's okay, but you'll miss a lot of parts.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

The PC version of Metal Gear Solid was released in North America, Europe and Asia in late 2000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid

While the PC version is simply labelled Metal Gear Solid on the packaging, it is actually based on Metal Gear Solid: Integral, which is the title that appears in the actual game.

This version has a few changes from the PlayStation release.

Due to hardware design differences, the cutscene prior to the Psycho Mantis battle where he reads the player's memory card and vibrates the game controller was removed, and the method for defeating him was changed as well. The Staff frequency number (140.07) was removed from the Codec. The first-person view mode has been integrated into the main game and can be toggle at anytime. All 300 VR Training missions, as well as the photoshoot mode, are available from the start. Players can save their progress at any point without contacting Mei-Ling.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I swear I saw a post exactly about this on a facebook group I'm in

O_o

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I swear I saw a post exactly about this on a facebook group I'm in

O_o

I'm not surprised. Ground Zeroes for PS+ users was announced pretty recently. :P

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Well I guess it will kinda be okish...however you won't have any clue on who these people or the characters are.  Also the games were not released in chronological order.

The correct order to play the games is. Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater ( A giant prequel ) Metal Gear Solid Portable ops ( A direct sequel to MGS3 ) Peace Walker ( Leads up to the events to MGS V )  Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes ( Both a prequel/Sequel to MGS PW and MGS V PP )  Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain ( What is coming up this year )   MGS1, then MGS2 finally MGS4 Guns of the Patriots and then Metal Gear Rising.  

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

It's a very story driven game, get ground zero but I'd suggest playing them in order.

But if your not that interested in the story do as you wish.

Well I guess it will kinda be okish...however you won't have any clue on who these people or the characters are. Also the games were not released in chronological order.

The correct order to play the games is. Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater ( A giant prequel ) Metal Gear Solid Portable ops ( A direct sequel to MGS3 ) Peace Walker ( Leads up to the events to MGS V ) Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes ( Both a prequel/Sequel to MGS PW and MGS V PP ) Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain ( What is coming up this year ) MGS1, then MGS2 finally MGS4 Guns of the Patriots and then Metal Gear Rising.

metal Gear and metal gear 2 solid snake comes before metal gear Solid.

metal Gear and metal gear 2 solid snake comes before metal gear Solid.

Oh yea forgot about those, they are packaged with MGS3

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Play them all, they are all amazing

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

A lot of the backstory would be lost on you if you were to start with Ground Zeroes (if you've never played an MGS game before).  I'd seriously just wait for that MGS Collection and start right from the first MGS.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Well, the correct timeline would be:

Snake Eater > Portable Ops > Peace Walker > Ground Zeroes > Phantom Pain > Metal Gear > Metal Gear 2 > Metal Gear Solid > Metal Gear Solid 2 > Metal Gear Solid 4

MGS 1 and MGS 2 are available in PC.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

The correct order to play the games is. Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater ( A giant prequel ) Metal Gear Solid Portable ops ( A direct sequel to MGS3 ) Peace Walker ( Leads up to the events to MGS V )  Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes ( Both a prequel/Sequel to MGS PW and MGS V PP )  Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain ( What is coming up this year )   MGS1, then MGS2 finally MGS4 Guns of the Patriots and then Metal Gear Rising.  

This is incorrect, play them in release order, the games make references to the previous ones in the series, chronologically, not cannonically

You should play them in order MG(1&2 if you are into 2D games) MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, Emulate PoOps or watch it on youtube if you cannot handle 20FPS, MGS4, Peace Walker, MGSV

I'd reccomend anyone planning on playing MGSV Play at minimum

MGS1, MGS3, Peace Walker

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

-Snipe-

Is portable ops good? I was planning on playing everything else, but unfortunately portable ops isn't on Vita or in the legacy collection. I'll emulate it of course if it is good, but I just don't know if I should.

Is portable ops good? I was planning on playing everything else, but unfortunately portable ops isn't on Vita or in the legacy collection. I'll emulate it of course if it is good, but I just don't know if I should.

So it's a tough sell, its not a Kojima game, it was done by his team while the main team was starting work on MGS4, its effectively non canon at this point, but it uses the MGS3 engine where PW uses the MGS4 engine and you can't crawl, you can crawl in PO, but there's other limiting factors in the gameplay, i'd recomend skipping it and coming back to it later on as it is less important to the story, i think it has one of the best theme's in the entire series though, so don't forget about it.

The other thing is you can play it on vita, its just the PSP game, in its 272p 20FPS glory, but it has dual analogs

MGS3 Sets up Naked Snake, aka Big Boss' character

Peace Walker is supposed to set up what he's about, and those he brings with him, you build your base and everything, and this game introduces all the major characters in MGSV, they aren't in any of the other older games except short references.

MGSV tells the story of how Big Boss becomes known as the villain in the Solid Snake MGS games

Portable ops tells a short interquel story in between the games, where BB is framed for a crime he didn't commit and has to prove his innocence, 

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

So it's a tough sell, its not a Kojima game, it was done by his team while the main team was starting work on MGS4, its effectively non canon at this point, but it uses the MGS3 engine where PW uses the MGS4 engine and you can't crawl, you can crawl in PO, but there's other limiting factors in the gameplay, i'd recomend skipping it and coming back to it later on as it is less important to the story, i think it has one of the best theme's in the entire series though, so don't forget about it.

The other thing is you can play it on vita, its just the PSP game, in its 272p 20FPS glory, but it has dual analogs

Thanks for the info.

Also, how can I play it on vita? It's not on the store for Vita, just for PSP. EDIT: Nvm, I looked it up a bit more. Apparently it's on PSN on Vita in Europe but not in North America.

Thanks for the info.

Also, how can I play it on vita? It's not on the store for Vita, just for PSP. EDIT: Nvm, I looked it up a bit more. Apparently it's on PSN on Vita in Europe but not in North America.

what i understand is you can install it if you buy it on the PSN website, i'd double check that though/

what i understand is you can install it if you buy it on the PSN website, i'd double check that though/

Well, it says the platforms you can install it on when you go to the game. https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/search/q=metal%20gear%20solid%20portable%20ops

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, no.

Back in the 90s and early 2000s, Konami ported their Silent Hill and Metal Gear Solid games to the PC, primarily Silent Hill 2 and 3 (as well as The Room, and Homecoming), and Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2.

The quality of the ports were what you would expect for console-oriented games at the time - not great. And trying to get the running on newer systems is somewhat of a bear as well, so if you intend to do that at some point, have fun. You'd be saving yourself some effort and time just by either playing them on console, or emulating them.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D