Gaming Laptop troubles

MCmcginness

Hey, my brother just came back to the states from university in Edinburgh. All with the usual college stories, he thumps his laptop on to my desk. He says that the hard drive keeps filling up and he can not save any of his work or play any games. My first thought is a virus, and a clean reformat was what I was going for. But he does not have a recover disc or flash drive because the laptop he bought had windows 8.1 pre-installed. The file that continuously grows is the "windows SxS" file. The main thing taking up his space is hundreds of files from his anti-virus software kaspersky. In total there are 568 GBs of report from Kaspersky. He has two partitions his C: drive with 611 GBs of usable space and a secondary D: drive with 304 GBs of usablke space. The C: drive is completely full and says NTFS under the storage. The D: drive has 65 GBs left. Not sure what the problem is. I tried to reset the Laptop to factory default, but it said that I needed recovery media, which I do not have. He does not to do linux, and says that if need be is willing to buy a new license for Windows 8. Any suggestions or tips are much appreciated. I can hopefully post screenshots if need be.

Thank you and sorry for the long post. 

CPU, 8350 @ 4.3 ghz | CPU COOLER, Hyper 212 EVO | ,MOBO, Gigabyte UD3 AM3+ 990FX | RAM, 8 gb  G.Skill ripjaw 1866mhz | GPUASUS 7970 | CASE, Corsair 230T black and red STORAGE, WD caviar blue 1 TB 7200 rpm | PSU, XFX 750 watt 80+ gold | Keyboard, K70 mx blue (black/red) | Mouse Razer naga hex, | Monitors, Asus VG248QE 24in 1080p, Dell 24in monitor 1080p |

Hey, my brother just came back to the states from university in Edinburgh. All with the usual college stories, he thumps his laptop on to my desk. He says that the hard drive keeps filling up and he can not save any of his work or play any games. My first thought is a virus, and a clean reformat was what I was going for. But he does not have a recover disc or flash drive because the laptop he bought had windows 8.1 pre-installed. The file that continuously grows is the "windows SxS" file. The main thing taking up his space is hundreds of files from his anti-virus software kaspersky. In total there are 568 GBs of report from Kaspersky. He has two partitions his C: drive with 611 GBs of usable space and a secondary D: drive with 304 GBs of usablke space. The C: drive is completely full and says NTFS under the storage. The D: drive has 65 GBs left. Not sure what the problem is. I tried to reset the Laptop to factory default, but it said that I needed recovery media, which I do not have. He does not to do linux, and says that if need be is willing to buy a new license for Windows 8. Any suggestions or tips are much appreciated. I can hopefully post screenshots if need be.

reinstall windows with a usb drive?

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

There should be a recovery partition.  Find out the boot menu key and press it at startup.  It should give you a factory reset option which will essentially reinstall Windows the way it was at the factory.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

You can make a recovery drive from in windows.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

You can make a recovery drive from in windows.

While making the recover drive it says to click the box that says "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive" but mine is grayed out and unclickable.

CPU, 8350 @ 4.3 ghz | CPU COOLER, Hyper 212 EVO | ,MOBO, Gigabyte UD3 AM3+ 990FX | RAM, 8 gb  G.Skill ripjaw 1866mhz | GPUASUS 7970 | CASE, Corsair 230T black and red STORAGE, WD caviar blue 1 TB 7200 rpm | PSU, XFX 750 watt 80+ gold | Keyboard, K70 mx blue (black/red) | Mouse Razer naga hex, | Monitors, Asus VG248QE 24in 1080p, Dell 24in monitor 1080p |

While making the recover drive it says to click the box that says "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive" but mine is grayed out and unclickable.

You're sure there's no recovery partition?  There should be, there is on almost all modern laptops.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

It sounds like your brother Deleted the recovery image for the 4GB of space it would gain him.

Edit:What gaming laptop is it; the customer service on most of them is pretty good they should be able to help you acquire a restore image to put on a flash drive. 

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Sounds like Kaspersky is set to full diagnostic logging mode, check the settings in it for report logging. or uninstall it reboot and clean install it.