Hot Topic buys ThinkGeek

WedgeTalon

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/27/hot-topic-is-buying-thinkgeek/

ThinkGeek, renowned purveyor of merchandise aimed at PC enthusiasts, gamers, programmers, and geeks for the past 15+ years has been bought out by the infamous and often-mocked Hot Topic for $122 million.

"Hot Topic CEO Lisa Harper believes that it's a good fit, since both companies share a strategy of 'delivering great products for avid fans of various licensed properties.'"

RIP ThinkGeek.

Hmm... This is intresting, don't know if this is good or bad.

Lets wait and see I guess?

Hopefully the Goth kids don't burn down the Think Geek stores too...

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

That's... interesting.. Hope they treat ThinkGeek well! I love HT myself, always buying band merch there, but I'm not a huge fan of 90% of the store itself. I really do hope this turns out well. Unsure how I truly feel.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

First time hearing of Hot Topic.  TG always did have some good novelty stuff, but usually at really high markups.  Not to mention the duty/shipping to Canada was nuts.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Oh GOD NOOOOO,

I used to like Hot Topic, until they started only carrying woman sized pants, and got rid of the extremely baggy pants with chains on them. Chains I don't care about, but the baggy-ness was so ridiculously comfortable, especially if you have big legs like mine (and not just because I'm fat, I have strong ass legs. Can max one of those leg lift machines you see at the gym with no problem)

I have no problem with women/transgender women wearing skin tight pants, but "straight" men wearing them.....you look ridiculous. STOP IT.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Oh GOD NOOOOO,

I used to like Hot Topic, until they started only carrying woman sized pants, and got rid of the extremely baggy pants with chains on them. Chains I don't care about, but the baggy-ness was so ridiculously comfortable, especially if you have big legs like mine (and not just because I'm fat, I have strong ass legs. Can max one of those leg lift machines you see at the gym with no problem)

I have no problem with women/transgender women wearing skin tight pants, but "straight" men wearing them.....you look ridiculous. STOP IT.

normally your posts are extreme and out there, but 100% agree. 

Im not to worried. Theres always other places to buy things, and I doubt it will change to much. hopefully it may bring the geek culture more into the mainstream/norm for teens?

I guess it kinda makes sense.

Just hope they don't ruin ThinkGeek

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I used to like Hot Topic for the band shirts and the lingerie (not for me) but I haven't really found anything I particularly like there lately. Feel like the local ones to me got rid of all their Metal / Rock band shirts and replaced them with rappers and hip hop stuff. Plus all the strange men's clothing they now carry. So I don't go there anymore.

But if they're smart, they realize that TG should remain mostly as it is although I would appreciate some new designs. So this could either go well or be disastrous. Time will tell.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

The one thing I'm actually anticipating this summer is Hot Topic opening in my city soooo

"Rawr XD"

Hopefully the Goth kids don't burn down the Think Geek stores too...

We will consider that option.

"Rawr XD"

The prices will rise and the quality (as if most their products were actually made well to begin with) will lower.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

If I had ever though of Hot Topic, and Think Geek at the same time, I would have seen this happening a mile away.
Granted I haven't been inside one for years, and according to some of you the place has majorly changed.