Should I/Can I Fold?

I was reading about folding, and I want to get into it myself, although I have two questions: Can I fold on my PC (specs are in my signature), and should I fold on the PC that I use to game and do mostly everything on.

Side question: Is it harmful to my computer?

RIG: CPU: i5 6600k @4.8GHz 1.34v  CPU Cooler: H100i  Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR  RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 2400 (2x8GB)

HDD: Seagate Baracuda 2TB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB/PNY 240GB  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  PSU: EVGA G2 650W

Please use PcPartPicker, and paste the "BB" code when posting your build!

You can fold irrespective of configuration (efficiency will vary with specs) and it won't harm your pc, but your electricity bill may go up.

Rule with your heart,

And live with your conscience.

Your parts will not last as long if you fold 24/7 at any %. 

So you can change the % of how much CPU or GPU the application can use? I am very new to this, so please call me a noob if you must  :D

RIG: CPU: i5 6600k @4.8GHz 1.34v  CPU Cooler: H100i  Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR  RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 2400 (2x8GB)

HDD: Seagate Baracuda 2TB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB/PNY 240GB  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  PSU: EVGA G2 650W

Folding isn't going to hurt any of OP's components as long as they don't overheat. At the very most he may need to replace a GPU fan after a good 2-3 years of 24/7 folding, but you can get replacement fans off ebay for under a dollar. Don't go needlessly scaring the bambis.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Folding isn't going to hurt any of OP's components as long as they don't overheat. At the very most he may need to replace a GPU fan after a good 2-3 years of 24/7 folding, but you can get replacement fans off ebay for under a dollar. Don't go needlessly scaring the bambis.

---

If you fold everyday it will lower your components life span 

Is that at 100%? Also by how much?

If you fold everyday it will lower your components life span 

Yeah... by 1 year. Out of 20. So OP can just ignore that.

In regards to folding, you can do it just fine. It's a very good system. You can just leave it on at 100% all the time and just pause when you are gaming. Although I would advise going BOINC instead of FAH, as that has tons more options.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Yeah... by 1 year. Out of 20. So OP can just ignore that.

In regards to folding, you can do it just fine. It's a very good system. You can just leave it on at 100% all the time and just pause when you are gaming. Although I would advise going BOINC instead of FAH, as that has tons more options.

I am not worried if the system lifespan is effected by that little. As these parts will be obsolete in 19 years.

How can you set a max load for the graphics cards? Mine run WAAAAYYYYY too hot and my CPU is not anything to be amazed at. Non K i5 2500 @3.8ghz, meanwhile my graphics cards are 2x hd7950s which throw out levels of magnitude more calculations than the cpu.

How can you set a max load for the graphics cards? Mine run WAAAAYYYYY too hot and my CPU is not anything to be amazed at. Non K i5 2500 @3.8ghz, meanwhile my graphics cards are 2x hd7950s which throw out levels of magnitude more calculations than the cpu.

You can't really control the load on the GPU. What you can do, however, is:

1. Ramp up fans. Especially when you are not near the computer.
  2. Reduce clock speeds. Cuz u know... why not.
  3. Alternatively, you could try and reduce voltages via BIOS mod. Just make sure that the card remains stable.
  4. Maybe try another application of thermal paste?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I am not worried if the system lifespan is effected by that little. As these parts will be obsolete in 19 years.

19...? A lot sooner, 19 years x99 systems will be made fun of lol.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

19...? A lot sooner, 19 years x99 systems will be made fun of lol.

I am aware, I said 19, because that is when I assume the parts may start to fail. However that is not an issue, because I will not be using this system in 19 years. I will probably build a new rig in 3 years or so (depending on money of course).

Start folding already! Every bit helps.

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

Nope, I can fold with a rig that has lesser specs than that and I've already crunched out 17,000 points in a couple weeks. Unfortunately though, another side effect some people forget about folding is that it heats up your computer, and that heat gets spewed into your room, and since I sleep in the same room my computer is in, I've been doing much less folding as the temperature increases.

Go for it, every little bit helps :)

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

I was also concerned about the impact folding will do to the lifespan on my components - however if they're adequately cooled they should be fine, pending a CPU cooler failure or catastrophic scenario. Most modern CPU and GPU will automatically shutdown to prevent itself from damage, with the main concern being fan lifetime, easily rectifiable through DIY replacement and troubleshooting.

Components are often under-rated for usage in order to protect the manufacturer, and many are covered by warranties.

Even folding 24/7 for 3-4 years (and this is strictly an objective statement) is around the same time a GPU upgrade should be considered, and should coincide nicely with the durability of a folding GPU. Don't get me wrong, bulk respect for those guys running older GPUs.

Just keep everything cool, and it'll be fine.

If you cannot add anything of worth to the thread, then DON'T! You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Not to make anyone look bad, but you cannot dynamically change the load to

whatever you want either. You can to some extent With the cpu, but the gpu

is either full throttle or nothing. And no it isn't substantially harmfull at reasonable

temperatures.

As others have said before, go for it.