over clocking and turbo boost

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

If you set your oc to be higher than the turbo, turbo boost is ignored.

I am not asking because I have this situation. But if one had a CPU with turbo boost and it was unlocked (4690k, 4790k), if you over clock it, what happens to turbo boost. Is turbo boost gone and it runs at your OC speed all the time or does it turbo higher at all?

Someone will correct me if im wrong but, i believe you can turn off the boost in the BIOS settings and just have a set clock speed

There's multiple options in the BIOS. You can set it to be maximum speed all the time if you want. Or you can set it to have a variable clock speed and to only boost when it is needed. Most CPU's are set like this by default. Your CPU is probably running lower than it's stock maximum clock speed during idle. Overclocking just changes the maximum value that can be reached during boosts.

If you set your oc to be higher than the turbo, turbo boost is ignored.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Any multiplier above the HFM (Base) is a turbo bin. If you truly disabled turbo boost then you would not be able to use any multipliers above base.

You can use ThrottleStop software to check this.

It depends on the motherboard's interpretation. For MSI, when you overclock an unlocked processor, it actually raises the turbo multiplier to whatever you set so you're essentially turboing to your desired overclock.

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on the motherboard's interpretation. For MSI, when you overclock an unlocked processor, it actually raises the turbo multiplier to whatever you set so you're essentially turboing to your desired overclock.

I have an MSI motherboard trying to OC an i5 4690K. The overclock to 4.4GHz was successful with voltage set to auto, but the task manager is Speed at 5.46GHz. Everything else says the CPU is running at 4.4 so I am sure this is just glitch of some sorts, but is there a way to correct this? Is this in fact something to not be worried about?