Best way to sell 30x 3TB used HDDs?

ChineseChef

I plan to upgrade my current mass storage, so I can have less drives.  I want to go to 6tb or 8tb (most likely the 8tb), but have no idea on the best way to recoup some money on my current drives.  I currently have 30x 3TB drives of mixed ages.  I figured I could just sell off my 3TB drives for like $50 each, which would cover about half of my upgrade costs.

My issue is, where would I even sell that many drives?  And is $50 too much to ask?

All the drives currently work just fine, my goal is simply to decrease total drive count.  So how would you guys sell them off, or what would you do with them?

Give a SMART Analysis of each drive while listing them. And I think that depending on how good the SMART score was, you could kinda go for $70. Also, if I were in the same area as you, I'd probably buy a few.

Sig under construction.

What type of drives are they?

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

NCDCFXva.jpeg

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Newegg, Amazon, ebay. About it

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

list on the forum at a big discount for others! as used drives tend not to sell well. ebay them, and list individually, not in bulk to get the most back

Sell them on Ebay, with your listing stating the different brands. Though if any have a SMART status of imminent failure (like a certain Maxtor 60GB I bought) do not sell them.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

i'm gonna repeat what i said in a different thread this morning.

is there a school that teaches ICT related classes in your area? ask if they need a few HDDs, schools have limited budget, so if they can get a bunch of 3TB drives for the cheap, they migth as well jump in.

EDIT: i cant grammar...

Give a SMART Analysis of each drive while listing them. And I think that depending on how good the SMART score was, you could kinda go for $70. Also, if I were in the same area as you, I'd probably buy a few.

Definitely a good idea, hadn't even thought of showing a SMART scan, but oh boy that will be fun to keep organized, lol.

What type of drives are they?

I think its 4 Toshiba, 8 WD Greens, 4 Hitachi, and the rest Seagate. 

Definitely a good idea, hadn't even thought of showing a SMART scan, but oh boy that will be fun to keep organized, lol.

Seagate 3TB=astronomical failure rate even if they were made in the early 90's

PMSL

i'm gonna repeat what i said in a different thread this morning.

is there a school that teaches ICT related classes in your area? ask if they need a few HDDs, schools have limited budget, so if they can get a bunch of 3TB drives for the cheap, they migth as well jump in.

EDIT: i cant grammar...

I hadn't even thought of that, will have to do a little looking around, see if any schools nearby want them.

I'd take some greens lol

But shipping to the UK would be a pain xD

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Seagate 3TB=astronomical failure rate even if they were made in the early 90's

You say that, but of the 20+ Seagate 3TB drives I have, none have failed.  But I have had to replace one of the Toshiba (doa, it happens), and one of the WD (they don't like RAID apparently)

And the Seagate's have been treated the worst, and span the most broad usage and diverse ages.

Are they SATA 6.0Gb?

Because he had a hard drive.

I may be interested if you don't mind selling a few separately. PM me if your intrested

Are they SATA 6.0Gb?

Not sure, I can check later when I get home.  But I usually just bought whatever was cheapest in bulk.  I was buying 8 at a time usually, and tossing them in Drobos.

Not sure, I can check later when I get home.  But I usually just bought whatever was cheapest in bulk.  I was buying 8 at a time usually, and tossing them in Drobos.

I would buy at least 1 WD Green

Because he had a hard drive.

You say that, but of the 20+ Seagate 3TB drives I have, none have failed.  But I have had to replace one of the Toshiba (doa, it happens), and one of the WD (they don't like RAID apparently)

And the Seagate's have been treated the worst, and span the most broad usage and diverse ages.

Their average failure rate is still quite high.

PMSL

If your MOBO supports it, set up a SATA port for hot swapping them. Will make your life muuuch easier probably.

I don't do signatures.

Their average failure rate is still quite high.

When compared to what class of drive?  And where are you getting these stats?

If your MOBO supports it, set up a SATA port for hot swapping them. Will make your life muuuch easier probably.

I have an external USB 3.0 dock that supports hot swapping, I would likely just use that.

You say that, but of the 20+ Seagate 3TB drives I have, none have failed.

It depends on the model. The specific ones that have an issue are the Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB drives

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

When compared to what class of drive?  And where are you getting these stats?

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/seagate-3tb-hdds-has-huge-failure-rates.html

Also, the guys at Teksyndicate also had several Seagate 3TB HDD fail-and they weren't exactly old.

PMSL

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/seagate-3tb-hdds-has-huge-failure-rates.html

Also, the guys at Teksyndicate also had several Seagate 3TB HDD fail-and they weren't exactly old.

Yah, backblaze is a horrible source.  Their "testing" methodology is the worst possible and has been debunked numerous times.  As I stated, I have 24 Seagate drives, none have died.  Yet I have lost a WD and a Toshiba.  If Seagate had even half the failure rate that backblaze shows on a global level, they would be out of business because no one would buy from them.

That backblaze graph shows a 40% failure rate.  40% would end Seagate as a company; no OEM or major buyer would want to associate with them.  The reason backblaze has such high failure rates is their badly designed units (high drive count with high vibration and heat) combined with using the absolute cheapest CONSUMER grade drives in the most intensive ENTERPRISE environments.

You aren't allowed to buy the cheapest tires available, and then complain that they don't hold up on the race track at top speeds in your performance car.