TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-e card keeps dropping internet

Hey there.

For a while now, I've been experiencing my wifi repeatedly dropping on my desktop, which is odd because it doesn't do anything like it on my laptop or smartphone, or for anyone else in the building.

It doesn't act up either whenever I'm using a mobile hotspot either, so I think it's got something to do with either my PCI-e card or the router, and unfortunately I can't access said router since it's from my dorm.

I've tried both the drivers that TP-Link provided as well as the ones Windows 8.1 provides (both with power-saving off).

Does anyone have any idea what I could do to remedy this problem?

I recently started having this problem too! It takes me a good minute to connect to 2.4ghz and 5ghz drops every few days for no reason.. :/ 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Does tp-link have any drivers for the wifi adapter, and if so, are they installed?

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Most likely your router. Had the same problem with my old router a long time ago and buying a new one fixed the issue.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

Does tp-link have any drivers for the wifi adapter, and if so, are they installed?

Yup, and yup.

Most likely your router. Had the same problem with my old router a long time ago and buying a new one fixed the issue.

Not really an option, unfortunately. We recently pestered the owner of the building to get a fancy-pansy new router, doubt he's going to like it if we do it again. 

Yup, and yup.

Not really an option, unfortunately. We recently pestered the owner of the building to get a fancy-pansy new router, doubt he's going to like it if we do it again. 

What router are you using? I've been using the same router for awhile now (linksys E2500) but just recently started having problems 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Got the same NIC in both desktops I have. No issues whatsoever here. I've had the one card for, hmm, about 5 years now sounds right. I'll have to say it's either your router, some other interference, or possibly a bad card. Interference sounds like a more reasonable issue, but I really don't know.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

What router are you using? I've been using the same router for awhile now (linksys E2500) but just recently started having problems 

We're using a TP-Link Archer C2 AC750 wireless dual band gigabit router.

Got the same NIC in both desktops I have. No issues whatsoever here. I've had the one card for, hmm, about 5 years now sounds right. I'll have to say it's either your router, some other interference, or possibly a bad card. Interference sounds like a more reasonable issue, but I really don't know.

Wouldn't that interfere with my laptop and smartphone as well? They don't have any kind of issue whatsoever.

Wouldn't that interfere with my laptop and smartphone as well? They don't have any kind of issue whatsoever.

Not necessarily. I've had an old TRENDNet NIC that was experiencing interference while my phone and tablet did not, and all were within arms reach of one another. I ended up getting rid of that card for the TP-LINK card in mention.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Update on symptoms:

For some reason, the internet will be fine whilst I'm in a Skype call. I figured it was because of the time that I skype, but legitimately, not a single drop whilst I'm on it, to then go back to being difficult the moment the call ends. Is this normal? Maybe some firewall setting or this or that?

What sort of range are you at from the router. We have a problem desk at work where wireless is un-usably intermittent like this, took ages to diagnose there is a mains power line directly between the AP and the desk, if there is something plugged into that line then the wifi craps out, if not its fine :S

What sort of range are you at from the router. We have a problem desk at work where wireless is un-usably intermittent like this, took ages to diagnose there is a mains power line directly between the AP and the desk, if there is something plugged into that line then the wifi craps out, if not its fine :S

I'm about one floor away from it. Not sure how many meters or feet that is, but distance shouldn't be a problem, since a laptop and phone extremely close to eachother and they work fine, nor does it really explain the skype thing. :/ 

Thanks for taking an interest and replying though!

@SlammichTheSorcerer

Might be worth checking settings on your WiFi card driver, I had a card that would switch modes/bands repetitively to get "best signal" but would drop the connection to do so, if you have an active connection it sticks with it but when idle it jumps back and forth.

If the connection is fine on the laptop and phone then that pretty much rules out the router. My bet would be an issue with the wireless card. If you can find someone with one of those little cheap USB wireless adapters you could use that to try the connection and verify that its your card before replacing it.

If the connection is fine on the laptop and phone then that pretty much rules out the router. My bet would be an issue with the wireless card. If you can find someone with one of those little cheap USB wireless adapters you could use that to try the connection and verify that its your card before replacing it.

It's probably something about the router being picky with my computer, since it works like a charm when I used my phone as 4G hotspot to test if it drops every connection or not.

• 4 weeks later...

@SlammichTheSorcerer Did you find a solution?