Tools to build new PC

Dr. Tejeda
Go to solution Solved by xeromynd,

The bare essentials you will need for building:

-Multibit screwdriver.

That's it. Touch the top of the PSU, plugged in but off, every now and then to ground yourself, or the case.

If you're talking about maintaining and upgrading:

-99% Isopropyl Alcohol [For removing thermal paste, if you can't find 99%, get the highest you can]

-Multibit Screwdriver

-Cable Ties [Cable management]

-Coffee Filters [For removing thermal paste off CPU and GPU]

-Q-Tips [For removing thermal paste in smaller areas)

-Antistatic Wrist Strap [Less/more of a hassle then grounding yourself every now and then, depending on who you ask]

-Spudgers/Pry Tools

-Magnetic Parts Tray [A godsend]

-Magnetic Pickerupperthing

-Canned Air

I'm new in the "make your own PC" world, and I don't have any tools yet, I pretend to stay working on my PC, changing components, maybe some modding on the future, to all of you who have done a lot of work on your PC, witch tools you think are the best, and witch ones you recommend to make the PC arm and disarm more easy.

I know a multi bit screwdriver is basic, witch one, or witch bits do I need, for SERIOUS business (change the GPU fans, disarm a PSU, open a HDD etc etc), also another tools like a magnetic tray etc., to make life easier.

Thanks

I've only used snips, zip ties, flashlight, and a Phillips head.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Just get that iFixit kit and you're set - https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Pro-Tech-Toolkit/IF145-072

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I've only used snips, zip ties, flashlight, and a Phillips head.

And anti static wrist strap :)

That's all you need.

Sorry that's it is a bit irrelevant but when would you need to open a HDD? Just curious :) and also what is disarming a PSU - excuse my noobines.

If you want to open up all kinds of stuff get a screwdriver kit that comes with a range of different bits.

Written on my Lenovo Z500 T - I5-3230M   Or

My pc :)

Only tool I've needed so far just for putting the PC's together is a Phillips head. Everything else comes with the parts.

Magentised PH 2 screwdriver for everything, maybe a socket for motherboard mounts that get stuck but that doesn't really happen now.

Heatshrink, braided cable, plastidip, paint and a soldering iron if you want to do the nitty gritty

Hot glue gun and a pair of tights if you want to make cheapo dust filters

if you're gonna open up HDDs you need a torx screwdriver with adjustable tension afaik

if you open it and don't screw it back at the same torque, it won't work anymore

but then again, i also don't see any reason to open an HDD

all i used so far is a phillips screwdriver, zip ties, and some clipper to clip of the excess of the zip ties

masking tape and xacto knife, but that also depends on what modding you'll be doing

i say, just go for the tool you'll know you'll need

if you're gonna just put it together for now, the first few ones are enough and you can buy tools later, when you'll know what you'll be modding and how

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

All i've ever used is a magnetic screwdriver.

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

Sorry that's it is a bit irrelevant but when would you need to open a HDD? Just curious :) and also what is disarming a PSU - excuse my noobines.

If you want to open up all kinds of stuff get a screwdriver kit that comes with a range of different bits.

You don't want to open a HDD. Unless its a scrap and you want to see what is in it, one fingerprint on the disk could ruin the drive. I would recommend an iFixit kit: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Pro-Tech-Toolkit/IF145-072

To disarm the PSU, turn it off (if it has a switch) and then unplug it from the main cord. 

Intel Core i5 4590Gigabyte GA-970 Ax4 4GB DDR3 Crucial Balistix SportGigabyte Windforce GTX 970 | 3 TB of HDD | Enermax CoenusEVGA 500 Watt 80 Plus | Windows 10 | Razer Black Widow Tournament EditionLogitech G502 Proteus Core | Audio Technica M50x | Tonor BM 700 Nikon D3400 

CompTIA A+ Certified

What i use: 

Philips and a flat-blade screwdriver.

Torch

magnetic picky up thing.

cable ties

You probably wont use half the gear in the iFixit kit unless you are a hobbyist or work for a small repair place. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Literally the only thing I use while building pcs is a screwdriver.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Literally the only thing I use while building pcs is a screwdriver.

and a mangetic tray works wonders too for all them screws.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Anti static ankle strap

Philips screwdriver

done.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

The bare essentials you will need for building:

-Multibit screwdriver.

That's it. Touch the top of the PSU, plugged in but off, every now and then to ground yourself, or the case.

If you're talking about maintaining and upgrading:

-99% Isopropyl Alcohol [For removing thermal paste, if you can't find 99%, get the highest you can]

-Multibit Screwdriver

-Cable Ties [Cable management]

-Coffee Filters [For removing thermal paste off CPU and GPU]

-Q-Tips [For removing thermal paste in smaller areas)

-Antistatic Wrist Strap [Less/more of a hassle then grounding yourself every now and then, depending on who you ask]

-Spudgers/Pry Tools

-Magnetic Parts Tray [A godsend]

-Magnetic Pickerupperthing

-Canned Air

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Just get that iFixit kit and you're set - https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Pro-Tech-Toolkit/IF145-072

I think we do more advertising for LTT sponsors than linus does, and he gets paid

My article on subscription based services and why they are the way forward http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382625-what-the-future-holds/