Ultra powerful micro-atx build

If you want it powerful, don't go with the FX line of processors.

Also, broken link.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

How much money have you got to spend on your pc? Do you need peripherals monitor etc included in that budget? What will you be doing with it?

Ps your pc part picker link is broken

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Hi guys

I'm planning on building a really powerful, small factor portable PC with the FX 8350

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/4bqbzy 

thoughts? suggestions? 

I would love a suggestion for a small and cheap PC case 

If you're going for powerful and small, FX is not the way to go.  Get something like an i5 that runs cooler and faster.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

How much money have you got to spend on your pc? Do you need peripherals monitor etc included in that budget? What will you be doing with it?

Ps your pc part picker link is broken

Lesson nr. 1 of LTT, always check if there is a space at the end of the link.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

-snip-

Do you have any of the components already?

Is there any reason you're going for the FX 8350 over something like and Intel Core i5 4460 CPU?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Do you have any of the components already?

Is there any reason you're going for the FX 8350 over something like and Intel Core i5 4460 CPU?

Lesson nr. 1 of LTT, always check if there is a space at the end of the link.

If you're going for powerful and small, FX is not the way to go.  Get something like an i5 that runs cooler and faster.

limited to a relatively small budget, and seeing as this will be my portable PC to use away from my main rig, I want it to be an AMD

How much do you have to spend to spend on your PC?

Don't go AMD unless you want crap performance.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

650$~(planning on recycling some stuff from previous builds) 

650$~(planning on recycling some stuff from previous builds) 

What stuff do you have from older builds?

to be fair, AMD doesn't have crap performance, its just sub-par to intel and nvidia (for now, waiting on zen processors and r9 390 to see how they perform against 980(ti..?) and current cpu's)

AMD's a good choice when limited by a extremely low budget (for a PC)

however, in this case, with about $250 for a cpu it would be better to go with an i5. 

I wouldn't recommend a 750 ti for a graphics card, you could go for either R9 280, 285, or GTX 960 with that kind of budget. 

Those cards are pretty tied in performance, but the 960 has dx12 support, so it might be a better option. 

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

What stuff do you have from older builds?

Sandisk SSD, 2TB HDD - just a few small things... 

to be fair, AMD doesn't have crap performance, its just sub-par to intel and nvidia (for now, waiting on zen processors and r9 390 to see how they perform against 980(ti..?) and current cpu's)

however, in this case, with about $250 for a cpu it would be better to go with an i5. 

The FX8350 retails at around $200, whilst the cheapest I5 is around $240. 

Yep when your not trying to build a pc for the price of a console then Intel is the way to go.

Sandisk SSD, 2TB HDD - just a few small things... 

Any ram that could be recycled?

Any ram that could be recycled?

DDR2 is a little out of fashion these days :P

I'll just be buying the cheapest ram that is compatible 

DDR2 is a little out of fashion these days :P

I'll just be buying the cheapest ram that is compatible 

Okay.

Okay.

any thoughts on the Cpu + motherboard? 

Take it from me, DO NOT go mATX and FX. I cant to jack shit to my 6300, and I regret that decision everyday.

“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Take it from me, DO NOT go mATX and FX. I cant to jack shit to my 6300, and I regret that decision everyday.

Are you talking about overclocking? I don't intend to over clock 

any thoughts on the Cpu + motherboard?

As 99% of the people on the forum would say: dont get an fx8350 but an i5 (4460 or similar)

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

I wouldn't recommend a 750 ti for a graphics card, you could go for either R9 280, 285, or GTX 960 with that kind of budget. 

Those cards are pretty tied in performance, but the 960 has dx12 support, so it might be a better option. 

strongly agree with this statement ^^^

Hi guys

I'm planning on building a really powerful, small factor portable PC with the FX 8350 ETC ETC (SNIP)

Also, if you're goin with a small form factor, id go with an i5. The thing is, i have an 8350, and the performance is not crap all, but first of all you WILL ABSOLUTELY NEED an aftermarket cooler, even at stock clocks, to keep it at an acceptable temp, so you'll still be spending the same money as a [locked] i5.

the 8350 draws a crapton of power, which is a cost factor, and also puts the PSU under stress b/c of this. Also, even with an aftermarket cooler, it will be dropping a ton of heat into your case, which will affect other components' performance, particularly in a small case.

As far as the RAM and case go, Ares G.Skill 2x4GB kits are pretty cheap and reliable ram kits, and as a case i'd reccomend a BitFenix Prodigy, its not cheap but the same price as the one you have in the list, has space for bigger components for future upgrades, nice handles to carry it around, and is probably the case of choice for LAN parties and whatnot. its not quite as small as the Urban SD-1, but its a good size/performance (possibility) ratio 

PS if you do buy an AMD cpu, DO NOT buy ASRock mobos

"Screw YOU guys, I'm going hoeeme" 

i5+h81 motherboard costs less than 8350+cheapest matx motherboard.

Get an i5.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

i5+h81 motherboard costs less than 8350+cheapest matx motherboard.

Get an i5.

not to be repetitive, but considering the 8350 WILL require aftermarket cooling...yea, get an i5

"Screw YOU guys, I'm going hoeeme" 

limited to a relatively small budget, and seeing as this will be my portable PC to use away from my main rig, I want it to be an AMD

Then get an i3.  The FX series is no longer worth buying.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30