SanDisk's New SSDs as cheap as HDDs

source: https://bgr.com/2015/05/27/sandisk-z400s-ssd-price-hdd/  / http://www.anandtech.com/show/9279/sandisk-releases-z400s-ssd-for-mainstream-pcs-embedded-applications

SanDisk Introduces New SSD Optimized for Mobile Computing and Embedded Applications

Z400s SSD Brings New Levels of Affordability to Replace Hard Drives in Laptops and Applications Such as Digital Signage, Point-of-Sale (POS) and Surveillance Systems

SEOUL, Korea, May 26, 2015 – SanDisk Corporation (NASDAQ: SNDK), a global leader in flash storage solutions, today introduced the new SanDisk Z400s SSD, a cost effective solid-state drive (SSD) designed to replace hard-disk drives (HDDs) in computing platforms and embedded applications. PCs and embedded systems need consistent, reliable access to storage in order to meet business demands. The Z400s outperforms HDDs by 20×1, while providing 5x the reliability with 20x lower average power consumption, all at a price point on par with HDDs. The SanDisk Z400s SSD joins the company’s existing portfolio of flash-based solutions that are designed to deliver a delightful user experience and reliability at an affordable price point.

“The Z400s represents a feat of engineering that addresses the needs of two distinct markets—PC OEM manufacturers and embedded application designers,” said Rizwan Ahmed, senior director of product marketing, client platform solutions, SanDisk. “With a single architecture, SanDisk is able to provide OEMs with an affordable solution for displacing HDDs in today’s cutting edge consumer devices, and help embedded application designers avoid overpaying for un-needed space—all while delivering the peak performance and high-reliability that only SSDs can supply.”

[....]

The SanDisk Z400s is sampling with customers immediately in mSATA, 2.5” SATA and M.2 (2242 and 2280) form factors, in capacities of 32GB, 64GB, 128GB and 256GB*. For more information on the Z400s for mainstream computing and embedded applications, view this video or visit z400s.

Visit SanDisk at World IT Expo 2015, Seoul
See live demos of the new Z400s and SanDisk’s complete portfolio of flash-enabled solutions at booth CB101 3F Hall C in COEX Exhibition Hall during the World IT Show 2015, taking place May 26-27th.

Z400s1.PNG

---

quite a lot of big words, like "price point on par with HDDs"
sincerely I don't believe a word they're saying ... HDDs are like 19 cents/Gb (worst price I could find), so a 256Gb SSD from SanDisk would be roughly priced at 50$ - neah! too good to be true  <_<

Interesting how they don't mention the price anywhere in the article. I seriously doubt they've got the price of 1TB SSDs down to around £50 and 2TB to £70 or so. 

It does mention "cost-effective" a lot though. I wonder what type of HDDs they're comparing them to? Datacentre ones that are much more expensive than standard ones maybe? 

Wat...

If this shit ends up being fast and reliable, everyone should have an ssd! :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If so, then very good. But seems a bit too good just yet in time.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

HDDs are like 19 cents/Gb

Lolwut.

They are a lot cheaper than that. Even assuming you meant GB, that's still $190 for a 1TB HDD. 5 cents per GB is more like it.

Interesting how they don't mention the price anywhere in the article. I seriously doubt they've got the price of 1TB SSDs down to around £50 and 2TB to £70 or so. 

It does mention "cost-effective" a lot though. I wonder what type of HDDs they're comparing them to? Datacentre ones that are much more expensive than standard ones maybe? 

neah ... they're saying 256Gb would be max

Lolwut.

They are a lot cheaper than that. Even assuming you meant GB, that's still $190 for a 1TB HDD. 5 cents per GB is more like it.

I took the absolute worst price possible - even then, it's hard to believe what they're saying

Lolwut.

I had the same thought, but not everyone lives in 'Murica. I helped a Canadian guy with a build and HDs are 2-3x the cost they are here in 'Murica. :(

I took the absolute worst price possible - even then, it's hard to believe what they're saying

Alright. Yeah even getting to 19 cents per GB would be quite an achievement.

60 bucks for 256GB? Okay Sandisk, I'll buy 4 of them on the spot and LOL my way to dirty cheap RAID setups. 

Probably bottom-of-the-barrel bins on every single component. Should still be faster than an HDD, even if it lasts for like 3-5 years.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Either they have a new Super cheap fab process, misleading marketing, or just buying up binned stuff. Expecting these things to have bad performance and high fail rates.

- snip-

Expecting these things to have bad performance and high fail rates.

Sandisk has the highest reliability in the storage industry.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

"Low capacities available" - 32, 64, 128, and 256GB sizes are quoted.
I have a feeling they aren't talking $ per GB, but "Hey an SSD that costs $30!".

It might be useful I guess for a bunch of basic office computers where you might want something faster and more reliable then a HDD, but you really don't need capacities over 128GB. Something like the computers you find at a library, or a high school.

In the video :"gaming" shows mechanical slot machine

This would be awesome if true, but I'll wait to see if they actually deliver on what they say.

im still waiting for my 1.2TB intel 750 for 60 euros.

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I want them to price match with hdd, give me the 5Tb SSDs for $150 Mwahahahahaha yes.

If they dropped that far, I would spend my next few paychecks buying them for my storage server, lol.

If they dropped that far, I would spend my next few paychecks buying them for my storage server, lol.

Here, 5Tb and 7200 rpm for $140

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-ph3500u1i72

No, lol, I meant if there were 5TB SSDs for $150, I would spend every dollar I have on them.

Me too, its funny though Staples in my city still has 120Gb SSDs for $200+ and 2TB HDDs for $300+ but they price match so I could single handedly bring their prices out of the stone age.