Recent AMD card price increase?

TheGFactor

Hey, I've been in the market for an R9 280x, and the prices have been very good until recent, where they have JUMPED, to the point where I cant find a brand new one for even less than $250, some even go into the $500 range. I remember finding prices on a new R9 280x just a while ago for $215... 

Does this have to do with the 300 line coming up soon? 

Long time Linus fan with too many different forums to keep track of LTT's. 

Yeah. It's price gouging time.

ever since people found out HD7000 series and newer from AMD are fully DX12 tier3 compliant, retailers are bound to take advantage. AMD likely have little influence on retail price most of the time. Plus, Tahiti is not making it (as far as we know) to the 300 series. Reason enough to see them at a higher price, especially while supply is zero and demand is not.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

My guess is more on the lines of the item being discontinued.

I can't buy it new in my country, it has simply disappeared.

EDIT: NWM they have gotten new ones, but the hover around 250 to 300€

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

nvidia has nothing to compete with r9 280x and r9 290 so their prices are not nearly as good

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

nvidia has nothing to compete with r9 280x and r9 290 so their prices are not nearly as good

My guess is more on the lines of the item being discontinued.

I can't buy it new in my country, it has simply disappeared.

EDIT: NWM they have gotten new ones, but the hover around 250 to 300€

ever since people found out HD7000 series and newer from AMD are fully DX12 tier3 compliant, retailers are bound to take advantage. AMD likely have little influence on retail price most of the time. Plus, Tahiti is not making it (as far as we know) to the 300 series. Reason enough to see them at a higher price, especially while supply is zero and demand is not.

Yeah. It's price gouging time.

So now what should I do? Suffer through a $40 price increase, hope prices drop back down, wait for the R9 370x, or buy used?

Long time Linus fan with too many different forums to keep track of LTT's. 

So now what should I do? Suffer through a $40 price increase, hope prices drop back down, wait for the R9 370x, or buy used?

If you can't wait I'd buy used personally.

I'd wait, though.

The GTX 970 kicks the crap out of the 280x and 290 and it's not much more expensive.  The Nvidia cards are actually a better value since most (even the 750 ti) comes free with the Witcher 3.  Not to mention most people that want a 280x or 290 have to invest on a beefier power supply.

For example, I'm in the market for a good gpu that will do 60fps 1080p easily.  I have a 550watt power supply.  The GTX 960 fits the bill perfectly.  It can now be purchased for as little as $170 after rebate WITH The Witcher 3 download code.  At the end of the day, I'll be paying $120 for a decent gpu and not having to touch anything else in my PC.

If I go the Radeon route, not only will a 280X cost more than the 960, but I would have to replace my PSU since the one I have in insufficient.  Don't give me this crap about a lower rating PSU will run it fine.  I've seen countless posts on Radeon forums where people complain about unreliable performance and most of the complainers are using PSU under the minimum requirement of 750watts.  If I go the 290X route, that's even worse.

Nvidia knows what they're doing.  They're holding on to their prices now and are giving away a free game awaiting for AMD to release the 300 series.  In the event the 300 series can compete with the Maxwell architecture, Nvidia will drop their prices to keep their lead.  Previous buyers won't get upset since they got a free game prior to the price drop.

In the event the AMD 300 series is a bust, then Nvidia will just keep their prices to where they're at.  If the 300 series is good, then Nvidia could decide to sell the 960 for $150 and the 970 for $250... which would give AMD a tough time selling their cards.

One thing is for sure, AMD needs to fix their architecture.  Enough with enormous power hungry toaster oven cards.

Maybe AMD has slowed or stopped production of their current card lineup leading up to the 300 series launch, so maybe that's why there is a price increase on some of them.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

HA!! good thing I bought my 290 on tuesday when it was the lowest I ever saw it.

Even getting a free copy of Dirt Rally  :D  :D

I'd say grab it while you can, even grab a 290 if you can, maybe you will get lucky and it might be flashable to a 290X ;)

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

The 280x is easily powered by a DECENT 500w PSU, I had 3 MINERS running overclocked 7950's each running from a 500w PSU,.., if you cannot do so yourself, you went too cheap.

I'd at the end of the day, grab all the cheap HD7950 & HD7970's you can, they 'can' go for around $120-150 if you can find a nice seller, and I've picked up a few myself.

Even with 2nd hand.........Price to Performance the HD7950 has it STILL after all these years.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz