Is too low CPU temperature bad?

SauronsV
Go to solution Solved by minibois,

I heard somewhere that too low cpu temperatures are bad. My PC is almost as cool as the room temperature and I dont know why. I wanted to add fans, but im scared it will mess it up somehow. So is it bad?

It can only go too low if you are using liquid nitrogen to cool.

That way condensation can build up, so you have to protect your CPU for that.

Room temperature must be 20+ C, which is not too low for a CPU.

I heard somewhere that too low cpu temperatures are bad. My PC is almost as cool as the room temperature and I dont know why. I wanted to add fans, but im scared it will mess it up somehow. So is it bad?

It won't mess it up....

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

It's not bad. Just as long as it's not too far below ambient temperature, which I think is not possible with traditional cooling methods.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

If you have extremely low temperatures (like sub zero), then you'll want to be careful with warming it up so you don't break anything, but otherwise you should be fine.

What are your ambient temps and what are your CPU temps?

Sig under construction.

no, it's fine, so long as it isn't colder than the ambient..

Only risk is of condensation once parts get colder than air.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

The cooler the better in my opinion.

RIG: CPU: i5 6600k @4.8GHz 1.34v  CPU Cooler: H100i  Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR  RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 2400 (2x8GB)

HDD: Seagate Baracuda 2TB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB/PNY 240GB  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  PSU: EVGA G2 650W

Please use PcPartPicker, and paste the "BB" code when posting your build!

Well, if your CPU is always running eerily low, and you're afraid of too low temps (which I wouldn't worry about), just OVERCLOCK DAT S**T!!!

There is a level where it will stop working, at like minus hundreds or something.

Although you don't want your CPU to be running under ambient, OR RISK CONDENSATION DESTROYING US ALL!!!

As long as the temperature isnt far below ambient, as that can cause condensation

No need to add fans if the PC is not overheating - if anything I would be wanting to remove fans to make it more quiet 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If you have extremely low temperatures (like sub zero), then you'll want to be careful with warming it up so you don't break anything, but otherwise you should be fine.

What are your ambient temps and what are your CPU temps?

ambient temperature is 26 cpu temp is around 25

What cooling are you using?

Sig under construction.

It can only go too low if you are using liquid nitrogen to cool.

That way condensation can build up, so you have to protect your CPU for that.

Room temperature must be 20+ C, which is not too low for a CPU.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Interesting, that means your either having some magical cooling (phase change), or you have a broken sensor!

What cooling are you using?

I have a s340 case with 2 stock fans and hyper 212 cooler, my temp is now going to around 30 its mostly 25- 30 now

As long as there aren't any air pockets around the CPU socket, you should be fine.

I have a s340 case with 2 stock fans and hyper 212 cooler, my temp is now going to around 30 its mostly 25- 30 now

I find it hard to believe your temperature sensors are accurate and that the Hyper 212 is giving you such low temps. What CPU do you have?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I find it hard to believe your temperature sensors are accurate and that the Hyper 212 is giving you such low temps. What CPU do you have?

i5 4690k when i put a youtube video it started going higher tho i think its all ok, thanks guys.