Budget Build - Intel G3258 vs. AMD Athlon X4 860K

Go to solution Solved by Luke4efc,

Go for the pentium. It is easily over-clockable. The price to performance is second to none with Intel, and as you said the Intel is upgradable because of the LGA1150. You will want to upgrade soon anyway, trust me. So it might be worth saving up a bit more and getting an i3 instead. However I've found an i5 4690k is the sweet spot for gaming right now. It bottlenecks no games with GPU's around the same price point.

Hey Guys,

So I'm building a budget PC for my friend (I already made a topic about this build) but I'm stuck between 2 CPU's.

Intel G3258 Anniversary Edition

or

AMD Athlon X4 860K

I need the one with the highest performance in gaming and general use. The one problem with the AMD CPU is that there is no upgradability whereas the Intel CPU uses the LGA 1150 socket.

Any help is appreciated!  :)

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

Intel because stronger cores and upgradability. Trust me, you'll probably want to upgrade soon.

Intel gets my vote! ;)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Go for the pentium. It is easily over-clockable. The price to performance is second to none with Intel, and as you said the Intel is upgradable because of the LGA1150. You will want to upgrade soon anyway, trust me. So it might be worth saving up a bit more and getting an i3 instead. However I've found an i5 4690k is the sweet spot for gaming right now. It bottlenecks no games with GPU's around the same price point.

If you want my attention, quote my post or I will not see it. I ignore builds that do not use PCPartPicker.

If I have solved/answered your question, please press "mark solved" to make it easier for the rest of the community find the answer

What games do you play and when do you plan to upgrade? Besides having stronger single performance and a better upgrade path the dual core Pentium doesn't have many advantages.

Thank you for the advice! I will use the Intel CPU.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

Thank you for the advice! I will use the Intel CPU.

If at all possible, get up to an i3.. 2 cores just don't cut it these days..

Better still go used, you would be suprised what you can get for quite little when going used. (if there is a supply you can access, ebay and such)

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

If at all possible, get up to an i3.. 2 cores just don't cut it these days..

Better still go used, you would be suprised what you can get for quite little when going used. (if there is a supply you can access, ebay and such)

I3's are dual core, You dont gain more than 5-10% higher Gaming performance with hyperthreading.

I only recommend i3's for editing/recording gameplay or otherheavily threaded workloads.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Really depends on the usage and in most games, at 1080 on a mid level card.. i3 is enough (game dependant obviously, CPU heavy games will be worse but then i3 will always be better than pentium unless it need 1 core at lightning speeds)..

http://www.techspot.com/review/972-intel-core-i3-vs-i5-vs-i7/page5.html

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

I3's are dual core, You dont gain more than 5-10% higher Gaming performance with hyperthreading.

I only recommend i3's for editing/recording gameplay or otherheavily threaded workloads.

Editing and recording gameplay? Seriously?

It would be great for gaming, sure, but I think editing/recording gameplay is a bit of a stretch with only a dual core, even if it is hyperthreaded. It would be better than a Pentium for doing these tasks, but it's hardly worth a 'recommendation' (unless you have a benchmark to prove me wrong).

If you're doing that kind of workload that requires multiple threads, an i5 or i7 would be a better option.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Editing and recording gameplay? Seriously?

It would be great for gaming, sure, but I think editing/recording gameplay is a bit of a stretch with only a dual core, even if it is hyperthreaded. It would be better than a Pentium for doing these tasks, but it's hardly worth a 'recommendation' (unless you have a benchmark to prove me wrong).

If you're doing that kind of workload that requires multiple threads, an i5 or i7 would be a better option.

Thats a whole other budget, Someone who has money for a i5 should not even consider a i3 for any task. For recording gameplay and doing other heavily threaded things i recommend the FX 8350 on the AMD side and Xeon e3 1230 v3(or similarly priced Xeon) on the intel side. But the best would be one of the fancy x99 i7 processors

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Get i3, don't get the pentium at all, you will suffer from stuttering and low frames.

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

HT matters a lot, not in max fps but in stuttering and minimums where g3258 is shit.

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

HT matters a lot, not in max fps but in stuttering and minimums where g3258 is shit.

It depends on the game, Some games work nicely on dual core CPU's while some dont.

And i dont expect someone to stay one the G3258 for more than a year or two, I expect most people to have upgraded to an i5 by then since the socket supports it.

My Gaming PC

Trust me, Im an Engineer

If you plan on playing AAA titles, and don't plan to upgrade within a year, I'd say Athlon. If you are upgrading soon, go Intel. But 2 threads is starting to not be enough for AAA games. Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition for example don't even launch on a dual core. I went with AMD in my rig at this price point because of this.

g3258 since its very cheap, you can overclock it, and later on has a very nice upgrade path

Tomshardware comparison of the 750k (basically same as 760 and 860K -5%) vs G3258 showed the Pentium coming out on top in most of the gaming benchmarks. This was consistent for both stock clock and overclocked tests. 

So between these two parts, which cost relatively the same and are aimed to directly compete, I would strongly recommend the G3258 on the grounds of gaming prowess and for the upgradability. On the FM2+ socket, the 860K is as good as it will ever get. On 1150, you can upgrade to an i5 or i7 if you want. 

The i3 is priced quite a bit higher $100-120 and competes more directly with the FX-6300 (same price range).

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS