CS:GO shuts down PC randomly on match load

Go to solution Solved by Mitico,

Its common problem with cs go,even i had it,its about how the game handles memory..you must edit a file in game folder.. as soon i find the fix guide again ill link it here

*EDIT*

Go in steam folder,then steam apps,commons,counter strike and last cfg look for the file called config.cfg and edit cl_disablehtmlmotd from 0 to 1  after saving this find video.txt in same folder and set settings.gpu_mem_level to 1 and settings.mem_level to 0 save everthing and have fun :D

Hey Forum

I currently have a problem where when I am at the end of a CS:GO loading screen my computer screen goes black and my computer crashes. This is starting to irritate me as I have had some competitive bans due to this problem. It sometimes occurs on the first game I play or like earlier today I managed to play 6 games before trying another and then having the computer crash. I have and R9 280 gigabyte windforce and the latest AMD drivers. 

Thanks if you have any ideas! 

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.

Hey Forum

I currently have a problem where when I am at the end of a CS:GO loading screen my computer screen goes black and my computer crashes. This is starting to irritate me as I have had some competitive bans due to this problem. It sometimes occurs on the first game I play or like earlier today I managed to play 6 games before trying another and then having the computer crash. I have and R9 280 gigabyte windforce and the latest AMD drivers. 

Thanks if you have any ideas! 

Check temps, maybe your thermal paste isn't applied correctly which is causing it to crash.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Check temps, maybe your thermal paste isn't applied correctly which is causing it to crash.

Temps for GPU are stable at 48 or so degrees, and it only happens when a new level loads.

Temps for GPU are stable at 48 or so degrees, and it only happens when a new level loads.

Maybe try an older driver, did this happen with an older version?

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Maybe try an older driver, did this happen with an older version?

Not that I remember but the driver worked fine for a week or so prior to this happening. and only cs seems to be affected

Not that I remember but the driver worked fine for a week or so prior to this happening. and only cs seems to be affected

Go into Steam, right click the game in the Library section, there should be a list, click Properties, then hit the Local Files tab, then click "Verify Integrity of Game Cache". Usually works for me when a game crashes or when its missing something.

Main Rig

XENON Build:  

Office Build:

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Go into Steam, right click the game in the Library section, there should be a list, click Properties, then hit the Local Files tab, then click "Verify Integrity of Game Cache". Usually works for me when a game crashes or when its missing something.

I tried that and it reinstalled Direct X but it doesn't make a difference.

OK... A few days have past and it still black screens, I've cleaned the computer and applied new thermal paste and am idling at 29C so any ideas this is getting irritating. I want to play my games!

Current AMD driver: 14.501.1003.0

Ok ... I believe its a driver issue but where can i find an alternate firmware?

Still having problems can anyone help? Not sure what to do, i'm a network guy not a gpu guy

Are you on beta drivers? Make sure you're on the latest *stable* driver. That'll be the only way to get a tried and true diagnosis going. 

Also, try completely uninstalling CSGO and reinstalling.

This definitely only happens in CS? It's likely you can recreate this playing other games with multiple loading screens. 

Do you get a BSOD? Or does it simply go black, and the whole thing resets/shuts down? The more specific you are the more we can help.

Are you on beta drivers? Make sure you're on the latest *stable* driver. That'll be the only way to get a tried and true diagnosis going. 

Also, try completely uninstalling CSGO and reinstalling.

This definitely only happens in CS? It's likely you can recreate this playing other games with multiple loading screens. 

Do you get a BSOD? Or does it simply go black, and the whole thing resets/shuts down? The more specific you are the more we can help.

I'm on as far as I know using standard drivers

I have tried reinstalling the game and no difference

I have been playing TF2, Assassins Creed 3, and CS:S and had no issues

No BOSD just the screen goes black and the computer restarts

Also it only happens when playing online when vs bots its fine

I just managed to play 1 deathmatch game then it crashed again, does anyone else have this problem?

reformat and install fresh OS, go into bios and reset to defaults, last run memtest and make sure you aren't getting any memory errors.

Ok more info, Grid 2 Also crashes the computer while Trials Fusion on Max settings run fine. I also noticed that the pc remains on when it happens there just is no display output.

You PSU is having issues. Which PSU do you have?

Hopefully you dont have the crappy corsair crap...

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

Power Supply? 

You PSU is having issues. Which PSU do you have?

Hopefully you dont have the crappy corsair crap...

I have a 750w Thermal take PSU and it's acting normal

I have a 750w Thermal take PSU and it's acting normal

Whats "act normal"?

Typically the issues sounds like a CPU or PSU.

Is this only with CS:GO? Do you have any CPU optimized game? If not try a stress test on your CPU.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

Whats "act normal"?

Typically the issues sounds like a CPU or PSU.

Is this only with CS:GO? Do you have any CPU optimized game? If not try a stress test on your CPU.

Well I ran the Firestrike benchmark and had no issues and the only other game that crashes it is Grid 2

reformat and install fresh OS, go into bios and reset to defaults, last run memtest and make sure you aren't getting any memory errors.

Ok, I just reinstalled the os and the problem is still there, and how do i run a memtest?

EDIT: I ran the memtest and it found no errors, what now

Edited by JJHW149

First check if there is a new BIOS release for your mobo. Check if the release notes state any bug fixes remotely related to your issue.

If that fails:

Try Switching GPUs

Try switching CPUs

Try switching PSUs

Try switching RAM

Try switching motherboard

Try switching one at a time until the issue clears up. If it doesn't clear up at all, then I think you are literally out of things to try.

Ok, I just reinstalled the os and the problem is still there, and how do i run a memtest?

EDIT: I ran the memtest and it found no errors, what now

Make sure you have the most up to date bios version from your motherboard's support page, as well as the most up to date drivers, chipset, etc. from there as well as AMD's website.  Also you said you GPU temps were okay, but what about your CPU temps?  I would also try switching out your GPU and try to use something else if you've got one lying around, and see if that makes a difference.

Make sure you have the most up to date bios version from your motherboard's support page, as well as the most up to date drivers, chipset, etc. from there as well as AMD's website.  Also you said you GPU temps were okay, but what about your CPU temps?  I would also try switching out your GPU and try to use something else if you've got one lying around, and see if that makes a difference.

My cpu at idle is sub 20deg as i have an AIO the only other gpu I have is an old GT 640, I might be able to borrow a R9 270 if that makes a difference. I'll look into changing the bios 

First check if there is a new BIOS release for your mobo. Check if the release notes state any bug fixes remotely related to your issue.

Well I just changed BIOS and no difference, now to go down the lists of your ideas.