Windows 8 not responsive.

Go to solution Solved by TheKDub,

I have tried rebooting and it didn't work. I wasn't able to even open my anti virus software(avg & malwarebytes). I have not tried booting in safe mode. I already started restoring to an earlier point, but if that doesn't work i'll try safe mode. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Then yeah, I'd guess probably a virus or something made its way onto your computer.

Safe mode should let you run your anti-virus software.

I have a legitimate copy of windows 8.1 pro. After I was gone for a week, I went on my computer and it generally ran fine. I did notice that a couple programs were unresponsive though. The next day I went on my pc and everything is not responsive. I can hardly do anything without the program having to close. A few times windows just completely froze. I was able to get windows update open and it said windows was updated as soon as I started it the first day I got back. Could this be the update that's causing all of this? I've had this computer for almost a year now. I do maintenance on it pretty regularly(getting dust out of it with compressed air).  I replaced my hard drive about a month or two ago with a 1 tb caviar blue and installed windows on it. If this were a hardware issue, I'd imagine it would have something to do with the hard drive or cpu. Anyways, thanks for reading :)

UPDATE #1: Currently in the process of restoring my pc to a restore point made yesterday around the time that it updated. Though this may work, It would be nice if you still had a suggestion just in case this doesn't work :)

My specs:

Case: CM elite 110

Mobo: Msi H97i

Cpu: Pentium g3258 @ 4.6ghz (Reaches 60C max)

Cpu cooler: CM seidon 120v

Ram: Kingston hyper x fury 1x8gb 1600mhz

Gpu: Sapphire r9 270

Hdd: 1tb Caviar blue

Psu: Evga 600B

1. Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

2. Have you tried booting into safe mode?

3. Have you tried running some virus scans?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1. Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

2. Have you tried booting into safe mode?

3. Have you tried running some virus scans?

I have tried rebooting and it didn't work. I wasn't able to even open my anti virus software(avg & malwarebytes). I have not tried booting in safe mode. I already started restoring to an earlier point, but if that doesn't work i'll try safe mode. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Then yeah, I'd guess probably a virus or something made its way onto your computer.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I followed your advice and it seems to be running like normal again. Thanks :)