Using onboard + GPU?

Go to solution Solved by Speaker1264,

I have an i5-3570k and a gtx660ti and have one monitor plugged into the card and one plugged into the motherboard. You just gotta make sure to go into the bios and change it to run both the discrete gpu and the igpu at the same time.

I was looking to buy a cheap second monitor but I have a problem. The monitor requires VGA, which I have, though only through integrated graphics. My 7770 GHz does not have VGA. Is it possible to connect the 1080p monitor I currently have hooked up to the GPU through DVI as well as the VGA connection to the onboard GPU at the same time?

Hope this question doesn't sound too dumb xD

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

yes you just need to force onboard to power on as well from the BIOS

set video memory to 256MB

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

You can get a dvi to VGA adapter assuming your GPU supports this.

I've tried this several times to no avail, so I'm gonna say no. You can't use onboard and a discrete GPU at the same time.

are you sure you cant?

i just force the mobo to initilize the onboard first

disable auto detect

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

yes you just need to force onboard to power on as well from the BIOS

set video memory to 256MB

I've tried this several times to no avail, so I'm gonna say no. You can't use onboard and a discrete GPU at the same time.

Oh boy, conflicting answers :/

I can try forcing 256 MB in the BIOS if that works. Otherwise I might just get a cheap adapter like @Ertman said.

A definitive answer is still welcome.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Yeah, I've tried everything in the book. I spent like 2 hours attempting to figure it out

Yeah, get an adapter for your GPU. A DVI to VGA one will not work, but an HDMI to a DVI one will.

A DVI to VGA adapter will not work.

HDMI/DisplayPort/DVI to VGA - none are options?

I have an i5-3570k and a gtx660ti and have one monitor plugged into the card and one plugged into the motherboard. You just gotta make sure to go into the bios and change it to run both the discrete gpu and the igpu at the same time.

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

OH NOES

I have a DVI to VGA adapter just a few feet away from me, it will work fine.

I have a DVI to VGA adapter just a few feet away from me, it will work fine.

When I did it I didn't even have to dibble with the bios.

Guess I'm mistaken then.

I have an i5-3570k and a gtx660ti and have one minute monitor plugged into the card and one plugged into the motherboard. You just gotta make sure to go into the bios and change it to run both the discrete gpu and the igpu at the same time.

You can get a dvi to VGA adapter assuming your GPU supports this.

are you sure you cant?

i just force the mobo to initilize the onboard first

disable auto detect

Looks like it's possible so I'm going to plug VGA into the onboard unless it straight up does not work. Thanks to all who helped!

@STRMfrmXMN @ONOTech

Yeah, it didn't work by default, but I was able to get it working through the bios.  With an Asus motherboard it should work similar to this.

Go into the Advanced Bios Mode

Then go to the Advanced Tab, located at the top of the screen

Now go into System Agent Configuration

Now go into Graphics Configuration

In there you will find a feature called iGPU Multi-Monitor.  Make sure that option is enabled so that the system will boot with both the discrete graphics and the iGPU enabled.

@STRMfrmXMN @ONOTech

Yeah, it didn't work by default, but I was able to get it working through the bios.  With an Asus motherboard it should work similar to this.

Go into the Advanced Bios Mode

Then go to the Advanced Tab, located at the top of the screen

Now go into System Agent Configuration

Now go into Graphics Configuration

In there you will find a feature called iGPU Multi-Monitor.  Make sure that option is enabled so that the system will boot with both the discrete graphics and the iGPU enabled.

I have a Gigabyte B85M DS3H

I have a Gigabyte B85M DS3H

I don't know how gigabyte's bios is laid out, so you'll either have to find the option through some trial and error, or ask someone on the forums who does where the iGPU Multi-Monitor option is located.

I don't know how gigabyte's bios is laid out, so you'll either have to find the option through some trial and error, or ask someone on the forums who does where the iGPU Multi-Monitor option is located.

I think I can recall but not off the top of my head. It shouldn't be hard to find :)