Router advice for 7 gamers

Farlo

Hey guys!  

So I'm moving into a house with 6 other gamers all with multiple devices (desktop PCs, laptops, phones, etc.) so we need a pretty beefy router that won't bottleneck if most of us are active.  Obviously final throughput is limited by our ISP, but I want to eliminate as much slowdown on our end as possible.  I'm no networking guru or anything but I do know that we need pretty strong wireless capabilities, preferably with 802.11ac and 2.4+5GHz, and as many ethernet ports as possible (although a cheap 4-port switch would probably work as well).  We probably won't need many fancy software features either (unless there's something I'm not thinking of).  My first thought was the Linksys WRT1900AC but that's a little pricey for us, something with similar performance for under $180 or so would be perfect.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Have you looked at the Ubiquiti UniFi?

Sig under construction.

Hey guys!  

So I'm moving into a house with 6 other gamers all with multiple devices (desktop PCs, laptops, phones, etc.) so we need a pretty beefy router that won't bottleneck if most of us are active.  Obviously final throughput is limited by our ISP, but I want to eliminate as much slowdown on our end as possible.  I'm no networking guru or anything but I do know that we need pretty strong wireless capabilities, preferably with 802.11ac and 2.4+5GHz, and as many ethernet ports as possible (although a cheap 4-port switch would probably work as well).  We probably won't need many fancy software features either (unless there's something I'm not thinking of).  My first thought was the Linksys WRT1900AC but that's a little pricey for us, something with similar performance for under $180 or so would be perfect.

Thanks in advance for the help!

1. Connect as many as possible via wired. to reduce wireless load (not to mention wired will always just be better if you can do it). 

2. Gigabit everything. 

3.  Good chart: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

Pretty much an AC1900 unit from Asus, Netgear, Buffalo, TP-Link, will do the trick. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

1. Connect as many as possible via wired. to reduce wireless load (not to mention wired will always just be better if you can do it). 

2. Gigabit everything. 

3.  Good chart: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

Pretty much an AC1900 unit from Asus, Netgear, Buffalo, TP-Link, will do the trick. 

1.  Of course wired for all the desktops, but we still have phones and laptops and stuff so good wireless is a must.

2.  It's just going to be Modem -> Router -> (maybe switch) -> PCs, so yeah everything will be gigabit.

Thanks for the chart, I'll dig into those a bit more!