is it good enough for gaming ?

Honestly, i3's are just fine for gaming, they get a bad rep, but its marketing bs for the most part. But if you can snag a AMD FX-6300, which at least in America is $20 cheaper than the i3, then go for it. In general, AMD boards tend to be cheaper than Intel boards so there are some saving to be had there. Other than that, grab any half decent cheap case, a random hard drive, a good power supply (you dont wanna cheap out on the PSU, if it dies, it can take everything else in your machine with it), 4 to 8 gigs of 1866mhz ram, if not 1600mhz ram kits should be slightly cheaper (ram is cheap, you may consider buying a 4 gig stick now and buying another 4 gig stick of the same model later when you save up a little more money) and spend every bit of remaining money a gpu. No matter what the budget is, the GPU is almost always what makes or breaks your gaming performance, so try spending as much money on the GPU as possible. 

Build 1: CPU: Intel i5 2500k @ 4.7 GHz, GPU: GTX 660 Ti, Mobo: Asrock Z68 Pro3-M, RAM: 8GB Samsung "wonder ram" @ 2133 Storage: SanDisk Extreme 240GB

Build 2: CPU: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.6 GHz GPU: GTX 780, Mobo: Asus z87-Pro RAM: Same as build 1. Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

NAS: FreeNAS running on core 2 Quad Q8400, 8GB RAM, 6 x Seagate 2TB. Dont bother with SanDisk SSD's, just don't.

how about this for 400$

CPU-Intel Pentium G2020
RAM-G.SKILL 4GB Ram
GPU-Radeon HD 7790
Motherboard-ASUS P8B75
HDD-Western Digital WD Blue 500 GB
Case-NZXT Source 210
DVD Drive- Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
PSU-Corsair CX500

Manners Maketh Man

hey everyone I have a PC with these configurations :

CPU : intel core i3 3220

GPU: sapphire HD 7770

RAM : kingston 4GB

motherboard : MSI B75MA-P45

the fx 6300 beats the i3 3220 in almost everything (make sure to check where lower is better)

i3 only beats the 6300 in about 5 tests http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/699?vs=677

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/352610-28-3220-6300

has some reasons why one may be a better choice over the other

I usually dont like cpu boss but hey http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-3220-vs-AMD-FX-6300

The i3 isnt a bad choice but with lga 1155 being a dead platform and it not being overclockable it isnt as value oriented.  Once the 6300 is at something like 4.5 it would kill the i3 in most everytest.

The i3 is perfect for gaming, I would get a HD 7850 or 7870 then you are set.  Everyone tells you get get a new cpu but the one you have will play ALL games today on high settings, you just need a better gpu. You can get a 7850 for $170-200 and your dune you don't need to spend anymore money than that.

One thing I dont get is why everyone tells you to spend lots of money on expensive cpu and gpu. Everyone thinks you are made of money and you must have the the most expense because it is the best. The simple fact is that for gaming a duel core will do the job and do it well, and a mid lvl gpu will play all games on high. You dont need a $300 cpu and a $500 gpu to play games, game are not that demanding even today's games. IF I can play Crysis 1,2 and 3 on a Pentium G 860 then you dont need a  4,6, or 8 core to do the same job. IF you want them thats fine just dont let anyone tell you that you MUST have them.

you dont need a 4 6 or 8 core to do the job but for the same price of an i3 you get more performance, a no brainer.

and what if i change the CPU to AMD 6100 FX ?

the 6300 is cheaper in most places now anyway

Hybrid-crossfire isn't working on RIchland APUs "yet" according to AMD, and it's generally not very reliable so I would not recommend it.

ya hybrid cf kinda sucks

Ramadaan kareem .

But OT : i would get this:

FX-6300 , FX-4XXX , i3 3XXX

Radeon HD 7870 ( if you can get the XT )

Cheap MSI , Giganyte Or asus motherboard doesn't really matter what but make sure you get a 970Chipset or better 

Drive : Some 500GB -1 Tb drive or if you can / want an SSD ( Crucial M4 or Samsung 840 )

Ram : Try to get 8 GB ( 2×4GB) if you really can't get 4 gb ( 2×2 GB)

Case : Fractal desgin Core 1000 is an AWESOME case for the price!

Power supply : Corsair 430 V2 is an awesome power supply for the price.

Pretty much about it

I agree but you dont want to get a 430w psu with a 7870 and a piledriver cpu 500w would be pushing it not even considering ocing.

I agree but you dont want to get a 430w psu with a 7870 and a piledriver cpu 500w would be pushing it not even considering ocing.

Agreed , Topic starter get the CX500 instead ;)

Interested in Business and Technology

you dont need a 4 6 or 8 core to do the job but for the same price of an i3 you get more performance, a no brainer.

I guess you missed the part were he tells us he already HAS a system with an i3. Why wast money on a new mobo and cpu when he can just get a better gpu and be dune with it. He has a budget of $400 so get a gpu for $170-200 and use the other $200-230 to by more games, its a no brainer.

hey everyone I have a PC with these configurations :

CPU : intel core i3 3220

GPU: sapphire HD 7770

RAM : kingston 4GB

motherboard : MSI B75MA-P45

If he has a i3 now why tell him to spend more money to get a new mobo and cpu it is pointless.

I guess you missed the part were he tells us he already HAS a system with an i3. Why wast money on a new mobo and cpu when he can just get a better gpu and be dune with it. He has a budget of $400 so get a gpu for $170-200 and use the other $200-230 to by more games, its a no brainer.

he said he needs a gpu cpu and mobo for $400 smarty pants, and ya right after the steam summer sale spend $200 on games, he can get a fx 6300 for $120, a 970 mobo like a msi g46 for $80 and a 7870 for sub 200