Request: Friends PC for ~$500

I am currently helping a friend get a pc build together for ~$500 and I just wanted some insight form the LTT community and see if they could help me get the build even better for similar cost.

Pc part picker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Hero780ti/saved/yRbD4D

We are not worrying about an optical drive, windows, and any peripherals at the moment. Just pure components.

Currency: USD

Pc use: gaming/ browsing the web.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

You're not going to get a brilliant PC for that price. You would be better saving up a bit more so that you don't have to upgrade every few months.

If you want my attention, quote my post or I will not see it. I ignore builds that do not use PCPartPicker.

If I have solved/answered your question, please press "mark solved" to make it easier for the rest of the community find the answer

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: Biostar B85MG Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($48.99 @ Newegg) 

Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($50.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Total: $509.69

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-26 10:09 EDT-0400

Can get 4160, but the difference is tiny and I'm not sure about haswell refresh support on that mobo.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You aren't going to have the best build for 500$

I would recommend saving up for a i5, or buying used.

Quote my post if you need me to respond.

I am currently helping a friend get a pc build together for ~$500 and I just wanted some insight form the LTT community and see if they could help me get the build even better for similar cost.

Pc part picker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Hero780ti/saved/yRbD4D

We are not worrying about an optical drive, windows, and any peripherals at the moment. Just pure components.

Currency: USD

Pc use: gaming/ browsing the web.

For the money you have currently, that build is tight, and the best you could probably manage, without too much shopping around for more bargains.

I could say Get an SSD, or save more money,.. but I understand that always isn't easy...

If the build CAN wait until you had another $150-200, then you'd have a better time with an i5 and a basic SSD (not the KingstonV300) for the Windows OS to be snappy as hell in his day to day of his newly built machine, and then the 1TB for Mass storage and Games.

/Used may be a WAY better option for you.. and is quite possible to grab a system that smash's a new one (just without warranty)

First Gen i5/i7 or 2nd Gen i5/i7+ a GTX 680/770 or AMD 7950/7970 or higher would do him greatly!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3H ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($62.88 @ OutletPC) 

Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Micro Center) 

Total: $502.11

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-26 10:13 EDT-0400

I feel like this would be better for games, but as everyone else said try and save up to around $700 and you could get a really nice PC. 

My build: tis be ordered

Here is what id recommend, There is both good overclocking potential if you buy a aftermarket cooler later on and you can also upgrade to a i5-4690k if you need more performance.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($188.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  ($37.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $509.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-26 10:29 EDT-0400

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Better: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XNLczy

Moved to New Builds and Planning--please post in the correct subforum in the future.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Biostar B85MG Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($48.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($50.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $509.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-26 10:09 EDT-0400

Can get 4160, but the difference is tiny and I'm not sure about haswell refresh support on that mobo.

Better: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XNLczy

Moved to New Builds and Planning--please post in the correct subforum in the future.

The thing is I really want to get an h97 if the build so that he can upgrade to a broadwell cpu later on.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

The thing is I really want to get an h97 if the build so that he can upgrade to a broadwell cpu later on.

Why? Broadwell doesn't offer much benefit over Haswell. The next lineup that anyone should go to at the earliest from Haswell would be Skylake, and that would require a different motherboard anyways.

CPU i5 4690k 4.5GHz 

RAM 16GB 1866MHz 

GPU 980 Ti 1.2GHz 

Why? Broadwell doesn't offer much benefit over Haswell. The next lineup that anyone should go to at the earliest from Haswell would be Skylake, and that would require a different motherboard anyways.

but there will be a difference between the i3 4160/ 4150 and an i5 broadwell chip.

My Main PC: