Is this serious or a scam?

Go to solution Solved by Hans Christian | Teri,

Scam, definitely a scam. Microsoft doesn't call you, they definitely don't use Teamviewer and Windows Defender is free.

Edit: Additionally you may want to start considering whether or not they installed anything on your computer while they were using it via Teamviewer. They could quite easily have installed ransomware, a keylogger or similar.

Hi guys, 

So I just got a phonecall on the house phone, from a man claiming to be from a Windows service centre. He told me that my pc has a load of serious viruses that allow other people to access and corrupt all the data on the hard drive.

He asked me to open the windows event viewer, and showed me that I have alot of error and warnings in the "information" section of the event viewer.

He then transferred me to a senior technician who took over the PC using teamviewer and proceeded to open the cmd and show me that my windows defender has expired and showed me lots of access attempts via foreign PC's trying to access my PC.

He then said that I need to renew my windows defender and said that I have to do it while I was on the phone to him with team viewer open, he said it costs £80 for a year, so I told him I would phone back another day as I don't want to handover £80 without abit of research first.

Can somebody please tell me if this is legitimate and my PC is actually at risk, or if this is an elaborate scam? Because it seems very fishy to me and I also don't know how they got my phone number. When I answered the phone he also told me  that "I have a problem with my pc" but did not specify which pc in particular which I find quite odd aswell.  

thanks in advance.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Scam, definitely a scam. Microsoft doesn't call you, they definitely don't use Teamviewer and Windows Defender is free.

Edit: Additionally you may want to start considering whether or not they installed anything on your computer while they were using it via Teamviewer. They could quite easily have installed ransomware, a keylogger or similar.

It's a scam, you should waste their time

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

scam

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Hi guys, 

So I just got a phonecall on the house phone, from a man claiming to be from a Windows service centre. He told me that my pc has a load of serious viruses that allow other people to access and corrupt all the data on the hard drive.

He asked me to open the windows event viewer, and showed me that I have alot of error and warnings in the "information" section of the event viewer.

He then transferred me to a senior technician who took over the PC using teamviewer and proceeded to open the cmd and show me that my windows defender has expired and showed me lots of access attempts via foreign PC's trying to access my PC.

He then said that I need to renew my windows defender and said that I have to do it while I was on the phone to him with team viewer open, he said it costs £80 for a year, so I told him I would phone back another day as I don't want to handover £80 without abit of research first.

Can somebody please tell me if this is legitimate and my PC is actually at risk, or if this is an elaborate scam? Because it seems very fishy to me and I also don't know how they got my phone number. When I answered the phone he also told me  that "I have a problem with my pc" but did not specify which pc in particular which I find quite odd aswell.  

thanks in advance.

this is a common scam. if they have indian accents (not trying to be racist) then yes definitely lol. i saw lots of youtube videos about this

they get your phone number randomly by calling random numbers i think

Windows defender is free so scam IMO.

And normally there should be errors in my experience.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Uhhhh 100% sure it's a scam.

What are you doing by the way?! Letting people you don't know into your PC?!

100% scam.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I would scan the pc to for virus and malware as well

since you let him on

alright thanks everyone, I knew it seemed fishy but it kinda convinced me when I had about 4000 errors in the event viewer, is that a normal thing?

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Scam. My grandparents complain about these scams.

Sig under construction.

alright thanks everyone, I knew it seemed fishy but it kinda convinced me when I had about 4000 errors in the event viewer, is that a normal thing?

Yes, that's normal.

Sig under construction.

Uhhhh 100% sure it's a scam.

What are you doing by the way?! Letting people you don't know into your PC?!

100% scam.

lol yeah I was scared to let him use teamviewer, it was one of my stupid gullable moments

pretty much

Hi guys, 

thanks in advance.

SCAMMM ALERT! Please give me the number so I can mess with him! :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Yes, that's normal.

Alright thanks alot, so glad I didn't pay the money!

SCAMMM ALERT! Please give me the number so I can mess with him! :D

His number was 08000-885-562 and his name was Mark Workson....have fun

I would scan the pc to for virus and malware as well

since you let him on

yep, running 2 scans right now, thank you

Thanks! 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

He aint Working Son :D (Pun definetely intended)

He is pissing people off

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

Haha, I'm waiting for someone to set up a VM to screw with them. Following this thread just for that.

I don't do signatures.

Haha, I'm waiting for someone to set up a VM to screw with them. Following this thread just for that.

I've got the same idea! :D Going to install XP and connect to my separate network.

Thanks!

Create a thread on the experience

<THE SILENT ASSASSIN>CPU(Intel i5-4690K)||COOLER(corsair H100i)||MOB(asus Maximus VII Hero ATX)||RAM(16gb of corsair vengeance)||STORAGE(Intel 530 128gb)(Samsung 850 Pro 500gb)(WD 2tb Black)||GRAPHICS(2 x Asus strix 970)||CASE(Nzxt H440)||PSU(Corsair RM750W)>http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Bbpbt6

I've got the same idea! :D Going to install XP and connect to my separate network.

Oh yeah!

medium.gif

I don't do signatures.

haha I feel asif I've just been scammed, and now the LTT forum is gonna come in and fuck em up, like a big family