Low budget folding rig?

Go to solution Solved by Guest SkyFall,

So I want to make a folding rig, anyone know some cheap combination that will let me earn more money than id spend on my electricity bill?

To get back to your actual question,

Go with an ATX case, an ATX-Mainboard (with at least 2x PCIex16 slots) and get either a pentium/celeron or a 860K/FX4300.

As for graphics cards, I would go with the GTX 750Ti, since it has a very low power consumption and gives you a good PPD.

For RAM, 4GB DDR3 1333MHz will do just fine, you can get the cheapest you find.

The power supply shouldn't be under 500W, just make sure that you get one with at least bronze efficiency.

All in all, without pheripherials, this will cost you about 600$, without rebate.

If you decide to go with only one GPU and a mATX board, you can even lower the costs to about 400$.

I hope that I could help you a bit.

EDIT:

You won't earn any money, but maybe, participating in finding cures for Alzheimer's, Cancer, Huntington's, and Parkinson's is a better option anyways ;-)

So I want to make a folding rig, anyone know some cheap combination that will let me earn more money than id spend on my electricity bill?

Folding won't earn you any money, and besides cheap folding rigs aren't that great, I'd say you could get a good folding rig for $500 and up (used parts). 

you cant earn money with folding. i think you mean mining.

but mining isnt worth it (anymore).

actually better to buy the coins and sell them when they are high

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

actually better to buy the coins and sell them when they are high

Aaaaand we're back to stock trading

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Folding won't earn you any money, and besides cheap folding rigs aren't that great, I'd say you could get a good folding rig for $500 and up (used parts). 

But if you don't earn any money then why do you do it?

People do it to aid in possible science/medicine advances.

Folding is aimed mainly towards Alzheimer's, Cancer, Huntington's, and Parkinson's.

then why do so many people do it?

mostly for making the coins them self, would you rather go to work and make money or buy some money and hope the price goes up?

probably not a great example but you get the idea. I have mined some coins mostly for a hobby nice to see what i can get out of my hardware though i am mostly putting that into folding @ home ATM

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

It helps medical research, it's not much different from giving money to a charity.

To get back to your actual question,

Go with an ATX case, an ATX-Mainboard (with at least 2x PCIex16 slots) and get either a pentium/celeron or a 860K/FX4300.

As for graphics cards, I would go with the GTX 750Ti, since it has a very low power consumption and gives you a good PPD.

For RAM, 4GB DDR3 1333MHz will do just fine, you can get the cheapest you find.

The power supply shouldn't be under 500W, just make sure that you get one with at least bronze efficiency.

All in all, without pheripherials, this will cost you about 600$, without rebate.

If you decide to go with only one GPU and a mATX board, you can even lower the costs to about 400$.

I hope that I could help you a bit.

EDIT:

You won't earn any money, but maybe, participating in finding cures for Alzheimer's, Cancer, Huntington's, and Parkinson's is a better option anyways ;-)

Edited by SkyFall

It helps medical research, it's not much different from giving money to a charity.

^ this

Basically it's the same as giving money to charity but done in a different way. 

Not everything is done to make money :P

hi guys, new to folding..i want to help for the cause but dont know if its useful..i dont have any gpu..just an i5 cpu...will it be any helpful? at load it consumes around 82W according to hw monitor

hi guys, new to folding..i want to help for the cause but dont know if its useful..i dont have any gpu..just an i5 cpu...will it be any helpful? at load it consumes around 82W according to hw monitor

Awesome that you want to join in!

Every tiny bit helps, but I'd suggest that you take up a GTX 750Ti.