Pentium G3258 overclock inquiry

Go to solution Solved by Johannes_Lazor,

Yes, you should be worried, Your CPU should not get hotter than 70-75 degrees C.

Pick up a 212 evo and you're good to go.

IMO an aftermarket cooler is completely unnecessary for the g3258 even at pretty high voltages. Your idle temps are way too high though, the cooler is likely not seated well or needs a re-application of thermal paste.

R15-2_zpsft5oushi.jpg

It idles in the low-mid 30's at locked clockspeed/voltage and temps max <80c. Yeah this voltage would make too much heat on an extended stress test, but games don't get the cores as hot as R15. This was also with the ambient air well over 20c btw.

I would take off the cooler and reapply thermal paste before spending more money on something unnecessary. For some reason your temps are too high and it isn't simply because you are using the stock cooler. If you get your temps down after a re-seating  of the cooler, don't run as much voltage as seen in my SS, that is not suitable for 24/7 use and can degrade the chip. I just wanted to show what the stock cooler can do so you don't spend money you don't have to :)

1.38V is waaaaaaaaaaaaay to high bro.

1.38V is waaaaaaaaaaaaay to high bro.

That was only for benchmarking scores for the awesome LTT Cinebench thread. I was running the ram at just under 1.7v too in order to tighten timings as much as I could :o (don't do that either).

I specifically mentioned not to run such a high voltage, but wanted to show how capable the stock cooler is for the g3258. An OC in the 1.2-1.3v range for 24/7 use should be doable on the stock cooler.

1.25V is like magic voltage, anything beyond gets extremely hot.

I would buy bigger heatsink, and try hitting 4.6 with 1.25V. I'm doing 4650 on 4790K with 1.21V.

Also try to keep max temp below 85C while running Aida64 CPU+FPU+MEM

Using Tapatalk