Pentium G3258 overclock inquiry

Go to solution Solved by Johannes_Lazor,

Yes, you should be worried, Your CPU should not get hotter than 70-75 degrees C.

Pick up a 212 evo and you're good to go.

HELLO! :D

So I just built my first computer recently and the specs are as follows : 

Pentium G3258 @4.1 ghz (on stock cooler)

Gtx 750ti 2 gb

8gb 1333 kingston ram 

600 w corsar CX.

So I've been experimenting with the overclock recently and at 4.1 ghz, its idling around 40-50 degrees. My overclock's temps get around 80 degrees Celsius when i'm in a game like farcry 3. Is this cause for concern? Should I be worried about my modest chip?

-BruceVayne :S

what voltage you are using o.0

thats high

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

A stock cooler with that much overclock is a bad idea. Buy an after market cooler to bring the temps down. You should be good as long as you don't start to see crashes.

If you want my attention, quote my post or I will not see it. I ignore builds that do not use PCPartPicker.

If I have solved/answered your question, please press "mark solved" to make it easier for the rest of the community find the answer

80C is generally the temps one gets on the stock cooler, however if it is that high in a game, I would be concerned as to the temperatures in a more cpu intensive program.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Yes, you should be worried, Your CPU should not get hotter than 70-75 degrees C.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

what voltage you are using o.0

thats high

Its running at 1.225 Volts

Just get a 212 Evo from Cooler master, OC with stock cooler is a bad idea

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Its running at 1.225 Volts

you should be able to get more GHz

turn down the voltage

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Yes you shouldbe worried, Your CPU should not get hotter than 70-75 degrees C.

Will the hyper 212 fit in a mid tower case?

whats is the case?

turn down the voltage

whats is the case?

I will and let you know the temps. The case is Deep cool tesseract BW

turn down the voltage

What would be a good number for the voltage?

post-58487-0-63489100-1432639314_thumb.j

Violence solves Everything.

post-58487-0-66069700-1432639445_thumb.j

Sorry for the potato quality, I still used the "chinaphone", A Galaxy Note ripoff since it was like 1/3 the price but with the S2's performance. I needed the 5 inch screen.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

HELLO! :D

So I just built my first computer recently and the specs are as follows : 

Pentium G3258 @4.1 ghz (on stock cooler)

Gtx 750ti 2 gb

8gb 1333 kingston ram 

600 w corsar CX.

So I've been experimenting with the overclock recently and at 4.1 ghz, its idling around 40-50 degrees. My overclock's temps get around 80 degrees Celsius when i'm in a game like farcry 3. Is this cause for concern? Should I be worried about my modest chip?

-BruceVayne :S

It's not ideal to overclocking while using the stock cooler. You can get the Hyper 212 evo from Coolermaster. :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

if i am correct

it fits up to 165mm

try 1.210v

tcase of that CPU is 72c so yes you need to bring the temps down.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

if i am correct

it fits up to 165mm

try 1.210v

I toned it down to 1.2 V and im in windows, ;D shout i keep trying to tone it down further until i get to the lowest voltage possible?

I toned it down to 1.2 V and im in windows, ;D shout i keep trying to tone it down further until i get to the lowest voltage possible?

No, do a stress test to see if the voltage is actually stable. Then you can decrease the voltage

No, do a stress test to see if the voltage is actually stable. Then you can decrease the voltage

Ok, So i should intel burn test for how long?

Ok, So i should intel burn test for how long?

I personally use Intel XTU's stress test, as it's more realistic. Do anywhere from 8 to 12 hours. 10-12 is more recommended.

I personally use Intel XTU's stress test, as it's more realistic. Do anywhere from 8 to 12 hours. 10-12 is more recommended.

Could I use prime 95?

IMO an aftermarket cooler is completely unnecessary for the g3258 even at pretty high voltages. Your idle temps are way too high though, the cooler is likely not seated well or needs a re-application of thermal paste.

R15-2_zpsft5oushi.jpg

It idles in the low-mid 30's at locked clockspeed/voltage and temps max <80c. Yeah this voltage would make too much heat on an extended stress test, but games don't get the cores as hot as R15. This was also with the ambient air well over 20c btw.

I would take off the cooler and reapply thermal paste before spending more money on something unnecessary. For some reason your temps are too high and it isn't simply because you are using the stock cooler. If you get your temps down after a re-seating  of the cooler, don't run as much voltage as seen in my SS, that is not suitable for 24/7 use and can degrade the chip. I just wanted to show what the stock cooler can do so you don't spend money you don't have to :)

Could I use prime 95?

no, Prime 95 is horrible. Use AIDA 64 or Intel XTU