Logitech MX Master Review (By Analog)

Intorduction:

Hello to everyone reading this thread. This will not be a general review like the ones that are mostly posted around here, but rather will be focused on my personal reasons for getting the mouse as well as my experiences from living with it for a week and a half.

Ever since I was forced to sell my G600s for some extra cash last summer, I was stuck with a G300 (non S version) as replacement. For all good qualities which G300 had it was just too small and too cheaply made for me have any kind of attachment to it and seek to replace it. Therefore, after only two months of usage I began to search for a new replacement. The only problem was that nothing was really to my liking. Everything that had either a bad sensor, accelerations issues, uncomfortable shape, bad color scheme (I am talking about you,you stupid blue G502) or it was made by Razer, haha. :D

As a result I was stuck with my G300 for five more months in desperate waiting for the RAT PRO X, which at least seemed a bit more promising, especially after its debut at this years CES (2015). However, in the meanwhile the paint on my G300 was badly fading and making me mad. Things got even worse when I accidentally spilled some silver paint on it while I was repainting my rims (#justcarguythings). After that accident I decided to just go to the local electronics store and just get whatever I find least offensive and live with it.

Having set my mind that was going to get some p.o.s. mouse I entered the store and something amazing happened - the MX Master was just standing there right in front of me. It was being showcased as a new arrival. It was love from first site! Without even considering the price-point or that it is wireless, something I dislike a lot, I grabbed a box. I just needed to have one!

Aesthetics:

Since my Xperia Compact's camera just can't present the mouse in its full glory, the pictures shown below will be "borrowed" from the Internet.

461767-logitech-mx-master-angle.jpg?thum

461769-logitech-mx-master-side.jpg?thumb

As you can probably see from the pictures, the mouse has a lot of resemblance with the old MX Revolution, which it is intended to replace. I never really liked the Revolution, it was a bit to skinny for my hand and never really felt right. The MX MAster, however, has the most perfect shape there is - fat, minimalist, ergonomic and features a thumb-wrest. What is there not to like? I can probably imagine a lot of people will be put off by the slight bronze accents around the outer shell of the mouse. I am too, it is just not my thing, I would much rather preferred it to be a silver lining. Nevertheless, this is a small trade-off for having such a beautiful mouse. 

Tech Specs:

Mouse (height x width x depth): 3.4 in (85.7 mm) x 5.0 in (126.0 mm) x 2.0 in (48.4 mm)

Mouse Weight (including battery): 5.1 oz (145 g) Unifying receiver dimensions: (height x width x depth): 0.7 in (18.4 mm) x 0.6 in (14.4 mm) x 0.3 in (6.6 mm)

Receiver weight: 0.07 oz (2 g)

Sensor technology: Darkfield Laser sensor    - Nominal value : 1000 dpi    - Minimal and maximal value : 400 dpi to 1600 dpi (can be set in increments of 200 dpi)

Battery life: up to 40 days on a single full charge* *Battery life may vary based on user and computing conditions. Battery: rechargeable Li-Po (500 mAh) battery

Number of buttons: 5

Scroll wheel: Yes

Gesture button: Yes

Wireless operating distance: 32 ft (10 m)

Wireless technology: Advanced 2.4GHz wireless technology  

The one thing that my not appeal to us enthusiast is probably the fact that is wireless. I personally, was also worried about that, but there is a cable included in the box, which makes the mouse wired. Nonetheless, the wireless implementation on this product is exceptional. There are two options of connecting it to your PC, besides using the provided cable - proprietary wireless transmitter and Bluetooth. In addition to that the battery is claimed to last up to 40 days of usage, but will get to that part in my experience part of the review, which is coming up next.

Personal Experience:   As stated earlier I have had this mouse for just over a week and I love every aspect of it, besides one,yes we are starting with some negative aspects of the mouse. Both the forwards and backwards buttons on the left hand side of the mouse are very tiny and too much to the back, making them practically unusable. Because of that I was forced to remap my back command to the thumb button, which is implemented in the thumb wrest. The only problem with it is though that it is a bit mushy and does not offer satisfying feedback that it has been pressed.  Having discussed what I don't like, now lets move to the strong parts of the mouse.

Firstly, the scroll wheel. The scroll wheel is amazing! Unlike in previous Logitech mice, the fast scroll wheel is both adaptive and digitally controlled only by the push of a button on the top of the mouse. This is a great feature since you can easily scroll through long files and still have that precision when you actually need it.

Left and right buttons are very good and have rapid response, without being too light, but that is kind of expected from Logitech. They know what they are doing.

The mouse has also the option to be connected to three devices at  the  same time. One can decide which one to activate by pushing a button on the bottom of the mouse. This is a great option for people who want to control their workstation, gaming rig and laptop without needing three separate peripherals.  

Wireless, yes we are finally coming to the most important feature of the mouse. I personally hate anything that wireless simply because such devices never work right and their batter dies too fast. Not the case with the MX Master, though. The battery lasts for an entire week of very heavy usage even on the initial half charge, which it came with. I had to charge it for the first time yesterday. The charge was complete in three hours. There is no delay or high latency, which is usually a key drawback of wireless, making it perfect for playing even shooters.   

Conclusion:   The MX Master is a solid product, which however comes with a price premium. there are very few things not to like about the mouse besides the price - small forward and backward buttons and a bit mushy thumb button. Other than that the mouse is perfect in every regard, despite that it is designed to be wireless. 

Feel free to click that like button if you enjoyed the review and post comments below to let me know what you guys think about the mouse and whether you are willing to spend that amount of cash to have one.  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I would spend that amount of cash because I know that logitech makes quality mice, my dad's performance MX has been going strong for like 4 years of being used 8 hours a day and has never missed a beat! 

I am about to follow behind him and order a G502 (My system and room is blue themed!  :P) as it should last me for years and is well worth that £69 price premium!

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

i really, really want that. but i can't afford that premium price tag. not saying it not worth buying it. i should prioritize my money for it since i don't have a mouse for my laptop right now.

Thinking about getting one for work and a second one for home to replace my ageing mx nano (will still keep that for portability though)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It was designed to replace the MX Revolution? Didn't know that, I was sure it was a replacement for the Performance MX. Interesting! 

Thanks for the review!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

I really would like to have this mouse as I can make good use of all the buttons and most importantly bluetooth connectivity but it seems like it is just a bit too big for my hand. I'm more of a fingertip grip guy. I used to own the G300 and that has the perfect size for me.

double post

Edited by atrash

I like that the MX Master can work as wired as well, but I have to say I'm loving my G502, despite having a fixed color, but I'm using it without weights due to its core weight (still lighter than the MX Master).

I like that the MX Master can work as wired as well, but I have to say I'm loving my G502, despite having a fixed color, but I'm using it without weights due to its core weight (still lighter than the MX Master).

Agreed! The MX Master is quite a bit heavier, because of the integrated battery inside of it. I do prefer heavier mice, though, I kind of like it this way. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I don't get this mouse. I don't know why somebody would get this instead of the g602. The only thing this mouse has better is the side scroll wheel, freescroll wheel, and multi-device function. On the other hand the g602 has eight more buttons, which really help for anything, from productivity to gaming to web browsing.

I don't get this mouse. I don't know why somebody would get this instead of the g602. The only thing this mouse has better is the side scroll wheel, freescroll wheel, and multi-device function. On the other hand the g602 has eight more buttons, which really help for anything, from productivity to gaming to web browsing.

It's different. I have a g602 and want this

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Great review!

I have a Performance MX myself and absolutely love it. The MX Master is on my short list for purchase at some point in the future, especially since you mentioned that switch to move it from device to device. Logitech actually has a really good wireless solution going with these things and it's actually made me something of a convert away from wired periphrials.