2 ethernet ports.

BeltedchaffG.

Hi, i'm thinking about getting the gigabyte ud5 motherboard but i noticed it has 2 ethernet ports.

does this mean i can connect my motherboard with 1 ethernet cable for internet and use the other port to connect it directly to my NAS?

Do i need a crossover cable for this to work?

You could and yes you'd need a crossover cable to use it like that.

Hi, i'm thinking about getting the gigabyte ud5 motherboard but i noticed it has 2 ethernet ports.

does this mean i can connect my motherboard with 1 ethernet cable for internet and use the other port to connect it directly to my NAS?

If you want you can connect both ethernet cables to your router and bridge the connections on the system. Doubles you DL speed on your pc. I Installed a  NIC in my system and bridge the connection between it and my onboard ethernet port and my speeds went from 45mbps to 105mbps

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

since i will connect my pc via an accespoint or wifi repeater with an ethernetport or a powerline, i won't be ale to do this, because my modem/router is in the other side of my house.

If you want you can connect both ethernet cables to your router and bridge the connections on the system. Doubles you DL speed on your pc. I Installed a  NIC in my system and bridge the connection between it and my onboard ethernet port and my speeds went from 45mbps to 105mbps

You should already be able to get a theoretical 125mbps on a single gigabit connection anyway.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Bridging connections does not double your speed, even using protocols like LACP will not double your speed. Link Aggregation and or Port Channeling allow more connections through, but any single connection is still limited to 1 Gigabit per second. But that still requires both devices, PC and Switch, support LACP or some other sort of bonding protocol. 

No Crossover Cable required. We live in 2015 NIC's have long since been able to swap the wires for you.

Yes, however you will need to do some configuration, as otherwise all traffic will go through the wrong adapter.

Your talking about NIC teaming. to get this speed boost your router/switch needs to support LACP. Otherwise you will only get redundancy of two NICs, which is a good thing if you run cables across the floor (where they can get damaged).

You should already be able to get a theoretical 125mbps on a single gigabit connection anyway.

Theoretical does not mean it will actually be at that speed depending on the ISP.

Bridging connections does not double your speed, even using protocols like LACP will not double your speed. Link Aggregation and or Port Channeling allow more connections through, but any single connection is still limited to 1 Gigabit per second. But that still requires both devices, PC and Switch, support LACP or some other sort of bonding protocol. 

Explain to me the increase i got from bridging the connections then? Please do.

No Crossover Cable required. We live in 2015 NIC's have long since been able to swap the wires for you.

Yes, however you will need to do some configuration, as otherwise all traffic will go through the wrong adapter.

Your talking about NIC teaming. to get this speed boost your router/switch needs to support LACP. Otherwise you will only get redundancy of two NICs, which is a good thing if you run cables across the floor (where they can get damaged).

I do run cables from my router to PC but because i live in a flat I run the cables behind my furniture.

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Theoretical does not mean it will actually be at that speed depending on the ISP.

I do run cables from my router to PC but because i live in a flat I run the cables behind my furniture.

What your talking about isn't possible, I assumed you meant PC to PC internally. Over your broadband - no. 

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

What your talking about isn't possible, I assumed you meant PC to PC internally. Over your broadband - no. 

No. I have two Cat6 Cables running directly from my router to my PC and i am getting over an Average of 100mbps. I am using the on board Ethernet port as well as a TP-Link Gigabit PCI Express card in my system and. Both cables are provide me with at least 45mbps but i have them bridged so i get an average of 100mbps.

Below is an image of my network connections and my SpeedTest at this moment

Screenshot%202015-05-27%2013.37.45_zpsiq

No. I have two Cat6 Cables running directly from my router to my PC and i am getting over an Average of 100mbps. I am using the on board Ethernet port as well as a TP-Link Gigabit PCI Express card in my system and. Both cables are provide me with at least 45mbps but i have them bridged so i get an average of 100mbps.

Below is an image of my network connections and my SpeedTest at this moment

That's not how it works. You can't "bridge" a connection together and get double the bandwidth. Your router/switch also needs to support LACP. 

I would suggest you had an issue to start with before bridging. Either with the cable or your setup. 

Do you really think it's as easy as adding another NIC and cable to your router and instantly get double the bandwidth? You think your ISP would allow this? Plus, your modem only joins the line at one point only. 

Considering they are Gigabit adapters, your actual wirespeed should be 1 Gigabit between you and the switch. Speed Testing to the internet brings up a multitude of issues that could explain your speed issues. I would agree with Eniqmatic that you more than likely have other network issues. 

Without going into huge indepth detail in order for any sort of Link Aggregation both end points, PC and Switch or Switch to Switch, needs to talk some sort of protocol to coordinate which physical interface to send a certain packet. 802.3ad or LACP is Link Aggregation Control Protocol it is the IEEE standard for this, however others types do exist and can be platform or OS specific. LACP breaks up the packets by stream so any one stream/connection is still limited to whatever the physical medium is limited too. As an example a File server with 4 Gigabit NIC's has 4 gigabit of bandwidth however any one connection is limited to single interface of 1 gigabit. But you could have 4 separate connections of 1 gigabit each to that server. Some types of software that use multiple connections may be able to take advantage of this, torrents is one that comes to mind. Some bonding protocols such as ADSL and SDSL bonding do allow aggregate bandwidth but both the modem and the shelf have to negotiate a connection using a protocol designed to do this. 

Ultimately your PC may be talking LACP or some other type of bonding protocol but I doubt your switch/router is.

^^^^ This guy gets it!