I need school laptop advice. Anyone?

Spewky

Hey,

Next year my school says I need to get a laptop for school to use during school for classes and afterschool for homework, essays, studying etc. Everything you normally do in school.

I'm looking for...

• an Apple computer (I find them quite simple to use and I have one right now from 2012 that the school has lent me)
  • Nothing bigger than 13" (as 15" is way too big)
  • Nothing too heavy and preferably somewhat thin
  • Not crazy expensive.
  • At least 256GB of storage, doesn't matter if it's "flash storage" as it says on their website

I'm not going to be gaming on it (as I've recently finished my gaming PC) and will only be working on it. I will watch videos on youtube and such and surf the web and go on social media in my free time and when I'm not studying. One of my classes next year might be a video editing/creating class so I'm not sure if I'll get the software for that on the laptop or use a school computer. Either way, having a laptop that is capable to do some small video editing is ideal. 

So what would you recommend?

I've watched Linus' new review on the "New Macbook" and I sort of like it but not a fan of the USB type C and having to get a dongle and stuff while I can as easily just have a laptop that has a USB 2.0/3.0 port. Would I be good going with a Macbook Pro 13" with Retina Display?

Get the 13 inch retina, pretty much nothing else exists for you.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

13" retina is your best bet. The MacBook Air would be the ideal one but it doesn't have retina screen yet for some reason.

"If in doubt, use a bigger hammer" Anonymous

Get the 13 inch retina, pretty much nothing else exists for you.

Okay, thanks :)

• Apple computer
  • not crazy expensive

How in the world can those two co-exist in the same sentence? :D

Haha Scotty, I'm talking like the 15" computers which are literally double the price of the 13" (Pro's with Retina

13" retina is your best bet. The MacBook Air would be the ideal one but it doesn't have retina screen yet for some reason.

Awesome, thanks. I'll go look at the Air and see what it's like. What bugs me most about the Air is that it's thicker at one end than the other... 

I'd frankly recommend using the one you already have, unless it NEEDS to be a new one.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Haha Scotty, I'm talking like the 15" computers which are literally double the price of the 13" (Pro's with Retina

There is no such thing on this planet as a "well-priced apple product".

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Okay, thanks :)

Awesome, thanks. I'll go look at the Air and see what it's like. What bugs me most about the Air is that it's thicker at one end than the other... 

The changing thickness actually makes it a bit nicer to type on as the keyboard is very slightly tilted. It also makes it look thinner than it actually is, which is good. But the 1440x900 screen is in my opinion, a deal breaker for me. But if you are ok with the screen, the air is your best bet.

"If in doubt, use a bigger hammer" Anonymous

I'd frankly recommend using the one you already have, unless it NEEDS to be a new one.

It NEEDS to be a new one... The thing is my school has lent me this laptop for a couple years and for the next few years I gotta buy my own... ;(

There is no such thing on this planet as a "well-priced apple product".

I'd sorta agree I guess. 

The changing thickness actually makes it a bit nicer to type on as the keyboard is very slightly tilted. It also makes it look thinner than it actually is, which is good. But the 1440x900 screen is in my opinion, a deal breaker for me. But if you are ok with the screen, the air is your best bet.

Hmm, I'll have to take a look at that. 

There really isn't much choice xD

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

Hey,

Next year my school says I need to get a laptop for school to use during school for classes and afterschool for homework, essays, studying etc. Everything you normally do in school.

I'm looking for...

• an Apple computer (I find them quite simple to use and I have one right now from 2012 that the school has lent me)
  • Nothing bigger than 13" (as 15" is way too big)
  • Nothing too heavy and preferably somewhat thin
  • Not crazy expensive.
  • At least 256GB of storage, doesn't matter if it's "flash storage" as it says on their website

I

So what would you recommend?

I've watched Linus' new review on the "New Macbook" and I sort of like it but not a fan of the USB type C and having to get a dongle and stuff while I can as easily just have a laptop that has a USB 2.0/3.0 port. Would I be good going with a Macbook Pro 13" with Retina Display?

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Blade-Touchscreen-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B00J06F4BK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432643597&sr=8-3&keywords=Razerblade

This isn't that much more expensive than a MacBook

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Would that be a good school laptop though? I mean, it's a 'gaming laptop'...

"Gaming" is more of a grade than anything it (usually) means powerful but not top of the range hardware

Any "gaming" laptop or PC is entirely capable of performing everyday tasks.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Gaming" is more of a grade than anything it (usually) means powerful but not top of the range hardware

Any "gaming" laptop or PC is entirely capable of performing everyday tasks.

I'm not sure I'd go with that. First of all it's expensive and second of all I have a gaming PC (which is nearly done and will be done once I get a damn monitor :P )

Would that be a good school laptop though? I mean, it's a 'gaming laptop'...

yeah i know its a gaming laptop but its better than a macbook pro even fo your use

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

When you said "An Apple computer' and "not crazy expensive" at the same time, I instantly thought that was not possible. You can probably get a $300-$500 laptop and install Mac OS X on it, although it might have a few issues.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub