HTPC i3 vs i5 for Blu-ray playback

I've done a bunch of research and asked a previous question on i3 vs i5 and I was told to go with i3. However, after looking at cyberlinks site, I noticed that they would recommend me to go for a i5 for true theater hd playback. I'm wondering:

1. Is this a good blu ray playback software?

2. If so, is it worth to go for an i5 just for the true theater hd stuff?

Thanks,

Keren Chandran

i3 and i5 are overkill for blu ray playback

the pentium g3258 is more than enough even at stock clocks

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Then get a Celeron which is the same thing.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

I forgot to mention that this pc will be used to watch youtube videos and surf the web. I prefer not to go that low as I have an old dual core pentium which is driving me insane as it occasionally freezes. I feel more comfortable going for a quad core however people were advising me that a dual core will suffice.

I forgot to mention that this pc will be used to watch youtube videos and surf the web. I prefer not to go that low as I have an old dual core pentium which is driving me insane as it occasionally freezes. I feel more comfortable going for a quad core however people were advising me that a dual core will suffice.

g3258

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

I run a g3258 in my media server. I use to have an i5 in there but it was overkill. Mind you I dont game on this machine. It is used for large file newserver  downloads, youtubes, netflix surfin etc. even if i extract a large rar file while using quickpar to repair an archive have my download client open and watch youtube @1080p it doesnt even flinch cpu max's out at around 50% usage under that type of scenario

the celeron is the same minus 1mb L3 cache, but I like to overclock even if its stock cooling.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

For just youtube and blu ray playback @ 1080p you could go with a dirt cheap AM1 Kabini build. 

Use an SSD as a primary drive and the slowness of even piece of crap dualcore systems really turn around into speedy machines.

SSD's are great for everything staying super responsive, even with lower end CPU power.

You don't need much CPU power to drive what your doing because now it's a GPU decoding system that takes care of all that video work these days.

Onboard GPU's have encoder/decoders in place to do it all in realtime, Intels iGPU series is ample for 1080p decoding.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I'm guessing that you had a first or second gen dual core which were one of the worst. IPC improved a lot since then and just one core from a haswell cpu will beat those dual cores like nothing.

A celeron or a pentium will be enough for your needs.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

Blu ray playback on PC is fucking horrendous.

Cyberlink has a monopoly on it for one thing, but even then my sister ran into issues where depending on what sort of DRM the bluray manufacturer used it still couldn't work with the software.

I really can't recommend just using a ps3 or actual bluray player instead.  The DRM nonsense on the PC players ruins the experience.

The i3 would be more than enough though.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti